Sponsored by:

Dealer difficulty

Old 03-19-2014, 09:50 PM
Cyber2lt
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rick Conti Corvette Purchase

Originally Posted by rstrait
About a week after the price increases were announced I went to talk to Rick Conti about ordering a C7 Z51. He said he wasn't taking any orders at the time because it could be until July before delivery. A week later I called him to ask again about ordering and he said he was taking orders and to send him an email specifying options, colors, etc. and he would get back to me that day. After no contact I called the next day and left a message. After a day or two passed with no return call I called and spoke to Rick and he said he was very busy and that there was no hurry in getting an order in at that point and he would get back to me. Before people start telling me what a great buying experience they had buying from Rick all I'm asking is what would you do given these circumstances?
I purchased my 2014 2 Lt from Rick, & I did have to follow up with him.
He is very busy as he runs the Corvette portion of the dealership. This includes, selling , ( 80 % of his sales out of state), doing all the paperwork, arranging shipping, getting the car s prepped, attending conferences etc. i would speak with him after 9 pm or early morning. I highly recommend him....his knowledge of the Corvette is incredible & I know a lot. He is right however, regarding your wanting a Z51... He will get it about the time the 2015 s come out. Did u send him an email with what equipment u want? Try calling him at 1-740-739-8377, tell him Jim in Atlanta asked you to say hi....Be ready to close the deal when u make the call....money in hand...I called from the bank....He has lots of serious customers so no time for people on the fence. Not suggesting you are nt
Serious just a valid point. Good Luck! Keep me posted.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:28 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

Originally Posted by ENCT
Call Amoni at Kerbeck, I am very pleased with the service. They have tracking web site to keep you up to date with your build.
Eric

Kerbeck is a class act. Our C7 is our second Corvette and we purchased them both from Kerbeck Dave sold us our 2005 & Amoni our 2014. They were very knowledgable answered our questions. It was a very pleasant buying experience
Old 03-19-2014, 10:36 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

How many threads get posted on this same topic and same sales guy??? When will you folks learn?!??!?! What other Forum dealer gets this type of negative critique on a regular basis???? IMHO you are crazy to NOT expect EXCELLENT SERVICE!!!!

It's a big purchase. A dealer should service you, answer your questions and be available. Especially if you are a novice buyer. Coughlin is a big dealer. There is no reason some other saleman cannot take care of a customer. There is just no excuse for this type of treatment.

If you went to a restaurant and were treated this way you would walk. But you'll be abused for a $60K car???!???? YES abused!!!

It's the old over promise and under deliver routine.

899 other Chevy dealers out there....
Old 03-20-2014, 08:31 AM
Cyber2lt
7th Gear

Default Rick Conti

Wow! I seem to have gotten a lot of you upset which was not my intention. Bottom line I had a very Positive experience with Rick. I live in Atlanta where in the January timeframe no chevy dealer had corvettes in their inventory. You could order on for $5,000 over sticker the dealership or thru Auto Nation at my credit union. Rick is a stand up guy & was very responsive to me once I got him.
I defy you to interrupt a salesman who is in the middle of a sale & put you ahead of the person he is working with.
Further, he arranged to ship my Corvette & it got here without a scratch.
I took up hours of his time given I was out of state & found him to be very
Responsive.
I guess like referring someone to a restaurant one person may have a great experience while another goes there & has a terrible meal.
Hard for me to believe he isn t consistent given he runs the biggest Corvette dealership west of Ohio. Not looking for-arguments was trying to be helpful.
I recently posted an article & link on the " Ackerman effect" , you will experience with the 2014 Corvette. I was unaware of this when I drove the car & thought something was big time wrong with my Corvette s front end. I did the research & shared it with the members of this forum.
I want to be part of this forum to learn more & share what I know. I m not interested in arguing. I did enough of that in my past marriage.

Last edited by Cyber2lt; 03-20-2014 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-20-2014, 08:44 AM
evilmonkey
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

About a week after the price increases were announced I went to talk to Rick Conti about ordering a C7 Z51. He said he wasn't taking any orders at the time because it could be until July before delivery. A week later I called him to ask again about ordering and he said he was taking orders and to send him an email specifying options, colors, etc. and he would get back to me that day. After no contact I called the next day and left a message. After a day or two passed with no return call I called and spoke to Rick and he said he was very busy and that there was no hurry in getting an order in at that point and he would get back to me. Before people start telling me what a great buying experience they had buying from Rick all I'm asking is what would you do given these circumstances?
Seems like he's too busy, no big deal just move to the next dealer on the list. I ran into some slow responses from a couple forum dealers and ended up buying from a forum dealer that responded quickly and had what I was looking for.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:55 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One mans recommendation is another mans worst nightmare.

I'm quite sure Rick Conti is very adept at what he does as are many in his field of expertise. OP this is not a shot at you but I wonder, has any buyer on this forum ever posted "what an *** I am to deal with?" My money is on absolutely not.

As consumers we are all just as responsible when it comes to making a transaction, I too am in the business and will admit I have fallen asleep at the switch a few times myself as I'm sure everyone has in their line of work, it happens.

I will also tell you if I had a nickel for every idiot I've ever dealt with...well you get what I mean. The onus is on all parties, no one is obligated to do business with someone they don't think is worthy.

We've all been to a restaurant that we have enjoyed yet have heard of others bad experiences there, it happens so do what you please and be happy.

On another note IMO it's BS to come on here and call someone out, do it in private.

Last edited by Big Dan 427; 03-20-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:29 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

After a day or two passed with no return call I called and spoke to Rick and he said he was very busy and that there was no hurry in getting an order in at that point and he would get back to me.
Pretty sure most customers disagree with the bold part. I know that was the case for me when I was waiting for mine to be built.

As others said, there's only so much you can do, so I would look for other avenues to purchase a car.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:33 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jwbert
Pretty much the same experience I had with Rick as well, several months ago, I went elsewhere.
Me too..........
Old 03-20-2014, 01:51 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by volvos80
Can I add to this with my experience today! I had a meeting with my local Chevy dealer today at 3 PM to pay for my C7 being factory delivered on 3/31.
Why would you pay for a car two weeks before receiving it (unless you're doing a museum delivery)?

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
Were you discussing a custom order that would be drop shipped to your local dealer? I don't think Rick likes doing drop ships.
My understanding is that he flat-out refuses to do them. Does anyone here know why?
Old 03-20-2014, 02:18 PM
1965rld
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX-C7
He never returned my calls or emails--which no biggie. I went elsewhere as well, there are GREAT forum dealers here.

Reach out to TommyJR at MacMulkin, Dave at Kerbeck or Mike at Criswell.
I've reached out to all 3 of these and none will honor GMS pricing on a Z51. That to me seems a bit non-customer service. When the company allows special pricing for those who quality and then the dealers choose to not participate that tells me the dealers are out for themselves and not the customer. Don't get me wrong, I know the dealership is there to make money and I'm okay with that but I'm not okay with trying to stick it to the consumers who are why they make money in the first place. I called MacMulkin today because they posted they have a few no spoken Z51's available. Guess what would not sell at GMS pricing. That's bad business in my opinion.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:46 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Why would you pay for a car two weeks before receiving it (unless you're doing a museum delivery)?

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ View Post
Were you discussing a custom order that would be drop shipped to your local dealer? I don't think Rick likes doing drop ships.

My understanding is that he flat-out refuses to do them. Does anyone here know why?
I dunno, Mike. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the post above yours from "Cyber2LT": "Further, he arranged to ship my Corvette & it got here without a scratch."

I thought I also read that Rick doesn't want to ship cars. Could be, it's only for courtesy delivery cars, not cars on the ground that he's shipping out of his dealer to a private party. Maybe he needs to come on here and clear that up.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:03 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,919 Likes on 4,805 Posts

I would take my business elsewhere. Rick is really great to deal with when business is not so great, but now that demand for the C7 is up he is a different person.
Walk away and deal with someone who cares all the time and understands customer service.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:41 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
I dunno, Mike. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the post above yours from "Cyber2LT": "Further, he arranged to ship my Corvette & it got here without a scratch."

I thought I also read that Rick doesn't want to ship cars. Could be, it's only for courtesy delivery cars, not cars on the ground that he's shipping out of his dealer to a private party. Maybe he needs to come on here and clear that up.
It's a little confusing, Bill. My understanding is that if you do a factory order through Rick Conti and you're not local to him, he'll arrange to have the car shipped from his dealership to the buyer (at the buyer's expense) but will not arrange for the car to be delivered from the factory to the buyer's local dealer so that the buyer needs only to pay a "courtesy delivery" charge. He's had that policy while at several different dealerships and I really don't understand why. He simply will not accommodate courtesy deliveries as the selling dealer.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:34 PM
rstrait
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm only an hour away from Rick Conti so it would have been considerably more convenient to buy from him. I don't harbor any bad feelings towards him, in fact, after meeting him I'm sure he does all he can to serve his customers to the best of his ability. What seems to be the problem is that he's stretched too thin and has made a decision to carry the load by himself rather than hire some help. I don't believe he was forthcoming with regard to his current allocation status or the deal would have been done some time ago and I would not have been told there was no hurry getting the order in. At this point I'm less enamored with the idea of getting a 2014, it might be prudent to drive my C6 this summer and order a 2015 next winter when things aren't so hectic.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:38 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by 1965rld
I've reached out to all 3 of these and none will honor GMS pricing on a Z51. That to me seems a bit non-customer service. When the company allows special pricing for those who quality and then the dealers choose to not participate that tells me the dealers are out for themselves and not the customer. Don't get me wrong, I know the dealership is there to make money and I'm okay with that but I'm not okay with trying to stick it to the consumers who are why they make money in the first place. I called MacMulkin today because they posted they have a few no spoken Z51's available. Guess what would not sell at GMS pricing. That's bad business in my opinion.
Personally I don't blame them for not taking GMS pricing. Why should they. The car is a profit maker for them.

You want GMS go to Les Stanford. Big volume dealers don't have time for that stuff. They are moving cars and making money. Note when a dealer offers GMS, they have to offer it on ALL cars they sell. No thanks in my book. Employees can go elsewhere (like Stanford who is local to Detroit).

Hats off to MacMulkin for not allowing GMS.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:06 PM
MIC7
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 6 Posts

The beauty of America is that we are free to spend our money as we wish. Don't like the dealer go elsewhere, dealer doesn't like customer deal decline, it's a two way street.

Reminds me of dating, get turned down move on! This thread is looking more like a kiss and tell.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:43 PM
Art-2008
Instructor

Originally Posted by ATX-C7
Personally I don't blame them for not taking GMS pricing. Why should they. The car is a profit maker for them.

You want GMS go to Les Stanford. Big volume dealers don't have time for that stuff. They are moving cars and making money. Note when a dealer offers GMS, they have to offer it on ALL cars they sell. No thanks in my book. Employees can go elsewhere (like Stanford who is local to Detroit).

Hats off to MacMulkin for not allowing GMS.
Interesting to learn that; "Big volume dealers don't have time for that stuff." Les Stanford is one of the highest volume Corvette dealers in the nation. They are among the top four, possibly second, depending on who is counting.

Last edited by Art-2008; 03-20-2014 at 06:49 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer difficulty

Old 03-20-2014, 07:02 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by volvos80
Can I add to this with my experience today! I had a meeting with my local Chevy dealer today at 3 PM to pay for my C7 being factory delivered on 3/31. The sales rep had left for a meeting, the inventory manager also was gone - the only 2 people I had met previously. The finance manager was finally found but not even briefed or up-to-date that I had a meeting today to pay for my new car. I felt upset as we sat down, and the papers were presented to me dated over 1 week ago. I started to change dates manually, and when we came to the price sheet, it was $2,000 higher than what I had ordered and signed for. So what I discovered was that the dealer was charging me the new increased price for the C7. It's like getting a proposal you sign, and then without a phone call or letter stating that the price has increased you get slammed with a higher price to pay! I was ready to walk out at that time. But after sitting there for 30 minutes the dealership finally came down to what they should have presented at the beginning. Now we also agreed to change all the forms to show the correct date. So after over 1 1/2 hour we got close to when I could pay for the new car. This is my first experience buying a US made car from a major Chevy dealer in town. Is this normal - do they want to screw all their customers like this? I was upset as I left and most likely will not buy from them ever again. Hope the car will be ok when I pick it up at the end of the month. I do not want another bad experience at the museum.
Why would you pay for something before you get it?
Unless I'm missing something here.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:43 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

If you want the discount go to Stanford. And he has allocation. Ask for Dennis Tap. Great guy!! I had a deposit with Dennis and was deep on his list.. I found the car elsewhere at a discount even and Dennis followed up to see that I got the deposit and said congratulations on your new car and enjoy it!!!! Who says that when you are buying elsewhere???? A class act that's who!!!

Now this GM pricing....... it's more complicated and costly then one can imagine. I expected GM just reimbursed the dealer the discount. While on the surface that is true there is a lot more going on....... frankly when I asked about it I was not that interested and never got the full explanation. Bottom line there are costs to a dealer to participate. Each has to make their own decision.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:09 PM
FLYNLO
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
If you want the discount go to Stanford. And he has allocation. Ask for Dennis Tap. Great guy!! I had a deposit with Dennis and was deep on his list.. I found the car elsewhere at a discount even and Dennis followed up to see that I got the deposit and said congratulations on your new car and enjoy it!!!! Who says that when you are buying elsewhere???? A class act that's who!!!

Now this GM pricing....... it's more complicated and costly then one can imagine. I expected GM just reimbursed the dealer the discount. While on the surface that is true there is a lot more going on....... frankly when I asked about it I was not that interested and never got the full explanation. Bottom line there are costs to a dealer to participate. Each has to make their own decision.
Accepting GMS or Supplier pricing is not just a "cost". It is money that comes straight off the top. Straight out of the margin. I guess we can call it what we will. But when a dealer participates in these prices, they are agreeing to reduce their profit....simple as that. Do they lose money on the deal...NO. But when they sell at GMS they are basically selling at cost with a nominal kick back from GM. Supplier pricing allows them a couple of thousand dollars on a Corvette.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealer difficulty