Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emission Sticker (California Eligible)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 02:01 PM
Max Adams
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emission Sticker (California Eligible)

I can't tell you how helpful this forum has been to me. My last Corvette purchase was in 99 and I didn't know I had so many options outside my local dealers (Los Angeles) who are marking the C7s up to $20,000. Fortunately I found one out of state with exactly everything on it that I would have wanted had I ordered one myself. However being from California and bringing in a new car from another state leads to the worry of being able to register it at the DMV.

I was really concerned about being able to register the car in California and began searching for all the information I could on the matter. By now I've read so many threads and spoke to the DMV over the phone and in person and I think I finally have a handle on the information. My dealer sent me a picture of the sticker (attached to this post) which had the following information:

Conforms to regulations: 2014
U.S. EPA class / stds: LDV / TIER2
California class / stds: PC / ULEV qualified
Group: EGMXV06.2090 6.2L
Evap: EGMXR0133810
DGI/H02S/TWC, OBD: II

From what I've read, YF5 is the emission option code when ordering a GM car specifically for California. I checked with my dealer and on the build sheet it had the FE9 emission code for my car which worried me as I was obviously hoping to see the YF5 code that is clearly for California. However after reading the 13-page GM report to their dealers on "Emission Requirements for 2014 Model Year GM Vehicles" it stated that cars being sold for California with FE9 emission code can be done if it is 50-state certified. It then goes on to say that an FE9 vehicle is 50-state certified if the sticker shows one of many qualifying statements of which "California class / stds: PC / ULEV qualified" was on of them.

My dealer even looked into other C7s that were on California lots and they all had the FE9 emission option. I would imagine that the only ones that have YF5 are those that are ordering one specifically for California only. The people at the DMV looked at the picture of the sticker and said it would be fine so I am assuming all should go well come registration time.

Anyway sorry for such a long post but hopefully it will help others in similar situations. And if anyone has an emission sticker that is any different please chime in. Apparently if the third line on the sticker said "California class / stds: N/A" then there would be problems in California and many other states that go beyond federal requirements. I don't think any C7 would have that but if anyone does please show a picture.

And if I run into problems at the DMV I will update.
Attached Images  
Old 03-20-2014, 02:58 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

All C7's in the US have that same label as far as I am aware and all are 50 state legal as you noted. I purchased mine from Kerbeck in NJ and had no issues with California registration. They actually had vehicle process in California handle all the DMV stuff which made it a bit easier I guess. I just had to sign some papers that they sent me, get a vehicle inspection done at the DMV and get a smog check and send those documents back to the processing agent here in Cal. If you order the car specifically for California delivery, the California option code bypasses the need for the inspection and smog check. Other than that, they are all the same when it comes to emissions.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:12 PM
theDRisin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by slief
If you order the car specifically for California delivery, the California option code bypasses the need for the inspection and smog check. Other than that, they are all the same when it comes to emissions.
Is this true? My out of state Stingray order has "YF5 Emissions: California". I'm still trying to figure out everything I will need to do after I drive it back from Bowling Green.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:38 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by theDRisin
Is this true? My out of state Stingray order has "YF5 Emissions: California". I'm still trying to figure out everything I will need to do after I drive it back from Bowling Green.
With museum delivery, I am not 100% certain but with a local courtesy delivery, that holds true provided the car was ordered with the California option code.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:33 PM
Second Vette
Drifting

Received 642 Likes on 327 Posts

If CA Registration wasn't setup by your Dealer, the process is no biggie in CA.

You have to get the Car Smog Tested. Use a Test Only Station and it shouldn't cost more that $50 including the State Certificate.

Make an appointment at the DMV. They visually inspect the Car to verify the VIN and they check Under Hood for the required Emissions Sticker.

After you pay the ridiculous Sales / Use Tax and the ridiculous License Fee, they will issue your Plates and you will be allowed to drive your Car legally.

Doesn't matter where you bought the Car. I got mine in Mississippi.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:41 AM
theDRisin
Intermediate

So I'm paying the selling dealer (in Missouri) all of the California sales tax and license/title fees for California and the car was ordered as YF5 Emissions California car (it's on the GM work bench copy). Anybody know if I still need to do the smog/inspection DMV trip after I get back to SoCal?
Old 03-21-2014, 01:41 PM
Second Vette
Drifting

Received 642 Likes on 327 Posts

So I'm paying the selling dealer (in Missouri) all of the California sales tax and license/title fees for California and the car was ordered as YF5 Emissions California car (it's on the GM work bench copy). Anybody know if I still need to do the smog/inspection DMV trip after I get back to SoCal?
Every 2014 Corvette has the same Emissions Sticker. That isn't an issue.

If the MO Dealer did all the CA Paperwork, I will assume the Car has a CA Temporary Operating Permit. If that's the case, you don't have to do a thing except wait for your CA License Plates to show up in the Mail.

I suggest you check with your selling Dealer to verify that the CA Paperwork was completed.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:02 PM
Saving41
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone please tell me the location of this sticker?

TIA

Found it! Passenger side edge of hood. Looks just like the one posted. Hope i am good to go.

Last edited by Saving41; 03-01-2015 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:31 PM
C6 MoneyPit
Melting Slicks

Received 123 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'10, '15. '22-'23

Originally Posted by slief
All C7's in the US have that same label as far as I am aware and all are 50 state legal as you noted. I purchased mine from Kerbeck in NJ and had no issues with California registration. They actually had vehicle process in California handle all the DMV stuff which made it a bit easier I guess. I just had to sign some papers that they sent me, get a vehicle inspection done at the DMV and get a smog check and send those documents back to the processing agent here in Cal. If you order the car specifically for California delivery, the California option code bypasses the need for the inspection and smog check. Other than that, they are all the same when it comes to emissions.
Not exactly. Even with the car built specifically for CA, I still needed smog and VIN verification. What determines this is if a CA dealer does the record of sale, so for a courtesy delivery the courtesy dealer would collect the sales tax and do the sale paperwork. This is how it was explained to me by the DMV and the service that does the CA DMV paperwork for Kerbeck. Because they did the sale documents I still had to get smog and vin verification even though it was built for CA delivery and shipped directly here. Crazy, but true.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:37 PM
5150 BRD
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Second Vette
If CA Registration wasn't setup by your Dealer, the process is no biggie in CA.

You have to get the Car Smog Tested. Use a Test Only Station and it shouldn't cost more that $50 including the State Certificate.

Make an appointment at the DMV. They visually inspect the Car to verify the VIN and they check Under Hood for the required Emissions Sticker.

After you pay the ridiculous Sales / Use Tax and the ridiculous License Fee, they will issue your Plates and you will be allowed to drive your Car legally.

Doesn't matter where you bought the Car. I got mine in Mississippi.

I got mine in Atlanta, GA and drove it home to San Diego. Followed the procedure stated above.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:01 PM
C6 MoneyPit
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 5150 BRD

I got mine in Atlanta, GA and drove it home to San Diego. Followed the procedure stated above.
I am curious about when the next smog test will be required. Normally, when you buy a new car in CA a smog is not required for 6 years, then it goes to every other year.

Since I had to get an initial smog when my C7 was new, I was told the next one will be due in two years, instead of 6...

I guess I will find out in 2 years unless anyone knows for sure!
Old 03-02-2015, 04:36 PM
HDBADDOG55
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Adams
I can't tell you how helpful this forum has been to me. My last Corvette purchase was in 99 and I didn't know I had so many options outside my local dealers (Los Angeles) who are marking the C7s up to $20,000. Fortunately I found one out of state with exactly everything on it that I would have wanted had I ordered one myself. However being from California and bringing in a new car from another state leads to the worry of being able to register it at the DMV.

I was really concerned about being able to register the car in California and began searching for all the information I could on the matter. By now I've read so many threads and spoke to the DMV over the phone and in person and I think I finally have a handle on the information. My dealer sent me a picture of the sticker (attached to this post) which had the following information:

From what I've read, YF5 is the emission option code when ordering a GM car specifically for California. I checked with my dealer and on the build sheet it had the FE9 emission code for my car which worried me as I was obviously hoping to see the YF5 code that is clearly for California. However after reading the 13-page GM report to their dealers on "Emission Requirements for 2014 Model Year GM Vehicles" it stated that cars being sold for California with FE9 emission code can be done if it is 50-state certified. It then goes on to say that an FE9 vehicle is 50-state certified if the sticker shows one of many qualifying statements of which "California class / stds: PC / ULEV qualified" was on of them.

My dealer even looked into other C7s that were on California lots and they all had the FE9 emission option. I would imagine that the only ones that have YF5 are those that are ordering one specifically for California only. The people at the DMV looked at the picture of the sticker and said it would be fine so I am assuming all should go well come registration time.

Anyway sorry for such a long post but hopefully it will help others in similar situations. And if anyone has an emission sticker that is any different please chime in. Apparently if the third line on the sticker said "California class / stds: N/A" then there would be problems in California and many other states that go beyond federal requirements. I don't think any C7 would have that but if anyone does please show a picture.

And if I run into problems at the DMV I will update.
If the photo you posted is from the right passenger side under your hood, you are good to go. You will have to have her smogged though before Calif. will issue you a plate & your tags.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:44 PM
C5A
Instructor

I bought my 2015 CRT Coupe from A east Coast Dealer with a 50 state sticker and when I took it to California DMV they did not require a smog. It was not ordered specifically with Ca emissions set up.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:46 PM
C6 MoneyPit
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Max Adams

And if anyone has an emission sticker that is any different please chime in.
Mine was ordered with the CA YF5 emission code, and the sticker says:

California Class/Stds: PC/LV160 so not quite the same, maybe it means something to someone.

Get notified of new replies

To Emission Sticker (California Eligible)

Quick Reply: Emission Sticker (California Eligible)