Sponsored by:

Just walked away after 3 months of waiting over $995

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 06:32 PM
T_Bone
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
I am with CrabbyJ on this, you better nail down very quickly what they mean by this deal for your Porsche or you may be losing a lot more value than the additional $995 they tried to charge you.
I say decent loosely based on low expectations. They paid the lien and I ate the rest figuring no payments for 3 months breaking even. They gave me low ball KBB. They made money on the trade. I traded instead of selling it myself to negate the sales tax. In retrospect I should've at least tested the market and you can bet that'll be the last time I pretrade. I learned the term de-horsing on this forum shortly after I did the trade.

The MSRP on the buyers order is $62895 and as I recall that was accurate for Black Z51 coupe 3LT Red Calipers and black wheels at that time.

And now the vette gods are mocking me. I never see C7s out my way and just saw a yellow coupe drive by while walking my dog.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:39 PM
T_Bone
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by redshift1
Curious why did you pre trade your car. i didn't know that was possible.

They insisted on taking it then "to give me the best possible value". Translation=to completely have you by the sack so they have the upper hand during the whole process.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:56 PM
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by T_Bone
I say decent loosely based on low expectations. They paid the lien and I ate the rest figuring no payments for 3 months breaking even. They gave me low ball KBB. They made money on the trade. I traded instead of selling it myself to negate the sales tax. In retrospect I should've at least tested the market and you can bet that'll be the last time I pretrade. I learned the term de-horsing on this forum shortly after I did the trade.

The MSRP on the buyers order is $62895 and as I recall that was accurate for Black Z51 coupe 3LT Red Calipers and black wheels at that time.

And now the vette gods are mocking me. I never see C7s out my way and just saw a yellow coupe drive by while walking my dog.
Buy the car. You already have lost on the low trade and will lose that $1000 or more by the time they get done with you. Buy the car and give them the surveys they deserve. At least you will have a new C7 for your losses. Walk and you have nothing to show for the loss and if you still want a C7, you have the price increase to deal with. Good luck.

Read and understand your contact boys! At least come to the forum before you sign not after.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:12 PM
Kent's 05 Coupe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to Stingray talk to Sean McCann Thats where we bought ours. Smooth transaction even with Museum delivery. Sean is a great person
Old 03-20-2014, 07:47 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

I really expected my first thread to be much happier. To make a long story short, Maher in St. Petersburg Fl just completely screwed me over. Apparently the buyers order you sign when you order is only valid when it suits the dealer. I asked for an out the door total which after bickering back and forth (they started at 5k) over MSRP and finally finished at $500 over MSRP plus all the misc crap $495 predelivery fee, etc. They gave me a decent trade on my Porsche.

So yesterday the salesman calls to say the car will be here by next week (it's currently bayed in BG.) and explain about the price increase and I'm covered there BUT the MSRP on my buyers order was an approximation and the new figure is 1k over that. I'm like no way, we have a signed out the door number. He says nope it's an approximation. I'm so livid I say forget it sell the car to someone else and get your profit. So the manager calls today to explain the same thing stating " you do understand the word approximate, right". I would've probably relented up until this point. He says they'll send me a check for the difference of my Porsche trade and cash value whatever that means and that he doesn't want to sell me the car because he doesn't need the headache of a bad survey.
So here I am. Stunned. Without my Porsche I pretraded for who knows what they'll actually send. Prices in the Z51 have increased. I'm probably a jackass for pushing it but in my book a deal is a deal. Just dumbfounded. Not sure the vette was meant to be. I just hate having invested 3 months of my life into this car.
Couple things:

Post-up the entire signed contract here on thread, or a LINK to it, so we can give you a hand deciphering it. Second thing; you don't understand what the dealer told you over the phone about getting a difference check for your Porsche, so why don't you ask for clarification? Post up the amount of that check, and the vitals on your used Porsche to see if that figure is even in the ballpark of acceptability. Third thing; you may be dealing with a scumbag dealer - just depends on exactly how your signed contract reads. Do you even have a signed contract with specific details spelling out the terms of the deal on your cars? The dealer may be well within the terms of the contract - IF there is one.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:51 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Oh lord--it was SO nice here for a few days. The birds sang louder, the flowers smelled fresher...it was all a dream. Here we go again...
Old 03-20-2014, 07:56 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

What about the offset against the sales tax of your pre trade? I would think that was part of the deal. if you walk, the sales tax offset will be lost, that will more than offset the extra bucks they are gouging for.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:58 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 503 Likes on 347 Posts

op what you have here is some amazing advice free..thats what being an owner (or potential owner) of a Vette gets you, you will not be seeing advice like this on the Impala forum. That said, channel your anger into making sure that they think twice about screwing anyone on a vette again, follow through with the BBB, after you do that call "eight on your side" I did they listen and they will immediately call Maher out. Lastly run, don't walk, run to Stingray Steve Hurley (owner) is a stand up guy and cares. I went "hat in hand" with a "BUY Back" from GM on a performance Trim Caddie ATS whose only performance was getting to their service dept (sometimes on a flatbed).They had to agree to sell the most popular car going for cost..and they did....because they cared! Good luck to you brother....now get running
Old 03-20-2014, 07:59 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Now you're changing the story......in this post, you're stating; "They gave me low ball KBB." In your 1st post you stated; "They gave me a decent trade on my Porsche." Which is it?

FWIW, since you've agreed in spirit to the deal on your trade-in, the lien/negative equity in the Porsche, AND they're only going-up by $1,000.00 from your previous price you stated they now want to charge you for the new Corvette, you might better take the deal in light of the Chevrolet price increase - since you don't seem interested in liquidating your Porsche that has a lien against it, and they're giving you 3-months of payments grace or some such as you related.... Unless you post the contract, (if there is one) it's all conversation at this point....
Old 03-20-2014, 08:00 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Location: Retired Suffolk County Police Dept NY South Carolina

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
What about the offset against the sales tax of your pre trade? I would think that was part of the deal. if you walk, the sales tax offset will be lost, that will more than offset the extra bucks they are gouging for.
One nice thing about South Carolina the sales tax on my Corvette will be $350.

The Max tax is $350 even if you buy a $500,000 car so the offset is meaningless.

Sorry it is not $350 it is $300 I posted the wrong amount and Supersonic 427 corrected my mistake

Last edited by 2 Ag R8Cs; 03-20-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:06 PM
82CFI
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2 Ag R8Cs

The Max tax is $350 even if you buy a $500,000 car so the offset is meaningless.
This factoid is interesting as Dave@Kerbeck stated that they won't sell to a buyer from a NO sales tax state. Will they sell to a sales tax "capped" state like SC where the max is $350?
Old 03-20-2014, 08:07 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Unless you post the contract, (if there is one) it's all conversation at this point....
He doesn't have to post a damn thing. Most people here TRUST C7 buyers and owners. We don't question their post, as we assume he is NOT telling a lie.

You, as usual, want to post the negative and force someone to PROVE their post.

Very classy--call people LIARS!

GO AWAY TROLL MARK JOE!

Last edited by ATX-C7; 03-20-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:08 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

It was only $300 two months ago when I bought mine. Did it recently go up?
Old 03-20-2014, 08:14 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Originally Posted by Supersonic 427
It was only $300 two months ago when I bought mine. Did it recently go up?
I am probably wrong, and thought it was $350. I just bought a 2014 last December and the amount was so small I did not pay attention to the amount.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:18 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

I am probably wrong, and thought it was $350. I just bought a 2014 last December and the amount was so small I did not pay attention to the amount.
Yeah, it was only $300 at that time for sure.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:43 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Originally Posted by Supersonic 427
Yeah, it was only $300 at that time for sure.
I am so glad I do not live in NY the land of taxes anymore. Property tax on my NY house was $15,000 a year I pay about $3,000 on my SC house and the SC house is much larger and nicer.
If I was still living in NY I would have paid $6,000 in taxes on the C7 instead of $300

EDIT

I should have said will be paying instead would have paid, I did not get my C7 yet

Last edited by 2 Ag R8Cs; 03-20-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:33 PM
Bigdog9586
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You could always make up a picket sign and on a day when lots of people are out and about March up and down in front of this dealer. Trust me they don't want this kind of publicity. I had a dealer ruin my high end aftermarket radio in a week old truck. He wanted me to take it out and send it half way across country to get fixed. I said no. We disagreed and 10 minutes of walking and he was writing me a check. Don't let the Ahole off lightly.

Get notified of new replies

To Just walked away after 3 months of waiting over $995

Old 03-20-2014, 09:44 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Something sounds a bit strange. I have NEVER met a dealer who would pay off a lien on a trade before they were funded on the new car, either from your check or the banks check. And I've also been told my multiple dealers that a "pre trade" is not a legal transaction in Florida from the tax perspective and they could get serious fines if caught. You only get the sales tax advantage when the trade and new car purchase happen on the same transaction, not 2 transactions separated by months.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:00 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

CARMAX is your friend for trade ins!
Old 03-20-2014, 10:17 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

OP, it sounds like you are describing at least two potential instances of your written contract being mis-interpreted
(agreed price for both the new car and your trade).

Don 't post any further information here on a public forum until you get some sound legal advice.
I'm sensing that there's more than $995 at stake here.

G-L ...

Quick Reply: Just walked away after 3 months of waiting over $995