Sponsored by:

Out of state registration frustrations

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 09:47 PM
air86
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Out of state registration frustrations

Ok so I picked up the car early February and to my surprise everything registration and title was going to be taken care of for me by Kerbecks title dept. This is a pro turned con to buying 2000 miles away.

Now I am not in any way blaming Kerbeck personnel for this, as this could be a tie up on the DMV end. however they gave me a 20 day non resident permit which expired late February. I am still waiting for my plates to arrive. I don't know where the error is because I called the dealer and they had to check up on the issue and get back to me in which they haven't yet and its been 3 days since then. So my car has been technically illegal to drive for the last 3 weeks even though my paperwork has been submitted and was told they sent it to the DMV. But the DMV website is showing no such transactions being made.

If I could have done it all over again I would have asked them not to do that and just given me the necessary documents and allow me to do it because the longest wait would have been the 3 hours in the DMV. Instead this process has taken over 3 weeks with no end in sight. I absolutely have to drive it to work as I have no other options.

So I was going to tell anyone doing an out of state sale that if allowed. Attempt to do the DMV stuff yourself. It will be easier and less painful that way. Then again I may be the exception to the rule here.

Once again I am not blaming anyone from Kerbeck, I am just frustrated that this is taking 3 weeks longer than it should and its irritating just looking at my car in the garage too afraid of taking it out for a ride because my luck a cherries and berries will pull up right behind me.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:20 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

What state are you in, OP?

Last edited by KenHorse; 03-22-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:39 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

Can you get another non-resident temp tag from Kerbeck until the issue is straightened out?
Old 03-22-2014, 11:04 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Instead of going online and checking the website, is there a possibility you could physically connect with someone at DMV---such as going there in person? or, by phone? And explain your situation so they can actually check/look for it?
Old 03-22-2014, 11:19 PM
ONOFiveO
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Warrior
That's odd usually if you purchase out of state the buyer has to go to the DMV within 30 days to pay the sales tax then once the taxes are paid you can register the car for plates. I never in my life heard of a dealer doing an out of state deal this way. The only way I see it possible is if Kerbeck owns a dealership in your state and they ran the deal through that local store not the out of state one.
I too am buying out of state but fully expect to get my own tag after paying my local and state taxes, as I've done on previous purchases. I got a temporary 20 / 30 day tag from the dealer to use until I got my permanent tag. I think the OP may have misunderstood.
The following users liked this post:
RobertAshby (04-08-2017)
Old 03-22-2014, 11:24 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by bluestreak63
Can you get another non-resident temp tag from Kerbeck until the issue is straightened out?
I've ran into issues with getting my plate from a out of state purchase but the purchasing dealership just issues me another temp tag.

Originally Posted by ONOFiveO
I too am buying out of state but fully expect to get my own tag after paying my local and state taxes, as I've done on previous purchases. I got a temporary 20 / 30 day tag from the dealer to use until I got my permanent tag. I think the OP may have misunderstood.
Some states / dealerships that I have purchased from have "agents" that do title work in other states, possibly a network of them.

I've also had dealers from other states send me a check payable to the DMV as well as the transfer of title and I goto the DMV to register it.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:28 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I had no problem with Criswell and Nevada is one of the more difficult states to deal with on this issue. Criswell even sent me a refund for an overpayment of taxes that I didn't even know existed.

I do think each state has different ways of dealing with it. I registered mine the second day I was in Nevada.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:29 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I bought my car out of state. A 20 day temporary tage was hung on the car to drive it home but I am doing the registration (and paying the whopping sales tax) at the DMV myself. I plan on doing this on the 27th, the day before my temporary registration expires.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:29 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

I bought from Criswell in MD. They charged me AZ sales tax, license & registration, gave me a 2 month temp plate, then sent me a check for the AZ tax and registration made out to the State of AZ. I took it to the AZ MVD only to find out Criswell had charged me too much sales tax. AZ recently lowered the rate for new cars so the State issued me a refund. Pretty easy all in all.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:32 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by VETJAZZ
I bought from Criswell in MD. They charged me AZ sales tax, license & registration, gave me a 2 month temp plate, then sent me a check for the AZ tax and registration made out to the State of AZ. I took it to the AZ MVD only to find out Criswell had charged me too much sales tax. AZ recently lowered the rate for new cars so the State issued me a refund. Pretty easy all in all.
Same for me except Criswell sent me the check. Nice to see a check show up in the mail.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:34 PM
Mecholova
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ONOFiveO

I purchased from Kerbecks and spoke to them about it. You're charged a registration fee as well as taxes at time of purchase. There's no misunderstanding.

My plates were delayed as well due to an issue with the DMV Insurance Department not updating records about something from 1993.

I had to call the DMV before anything could get moving and even after things were cleared, they said the registration had to be done manually. I.E. not online
Old 03-23-2014, 12:16 AM
jaimeleger
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default out ot state as well

Bought my car in NH at MacMulkin. Gave them a check for the MSRP and trailered the car home with the temporary paper plate set to expire in 21 days. The following week went to the DMV in Rhode Island, paid them the sales tax for the car (7%), registration fee , got my plates and DONE. Mac couldn't register the car for me since I was in RI. Was a piece of cake. Love Mac - paid them for the car only - no upsell, no paperwork fee - MSRP and out the door.
Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2014, 12:21 AM
sexmobile
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Many states collect the taxes for the buyer's local county and pay those taxes to the state for the buyer. There's no choice, it's the law, in some states. A dealer in Georgia tried to charge me 7% for the whole purchase when my rate is 6%. Only the first 5000 is taxed at 7% in my county (Hillsborough, FL). So even though they must collect taxes they still make mistakes.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:32 AM
jaimeleger
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Exactly

Originally Posted by sexmobile
Many states collect the taxes for the buyer's local county and pay those taxes to the state for the buyer. There's no choice, it's the law, in some states. A dealer in Georgia tried to charge me 7% for the whole purchase when my rate is 6%. Only the first 5000 is taxed at 7% in my county (Hillsborough, FL). So even though they must collect taxes they still make mistakes.
No sales tax in NH so was easy for me and RI keeps all the money - as usual.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:00 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

I've bought 6 vettes out of state while I was living in Ca. In each case the dealer did not charge me the sales tax or registration fees. I took care of that myself when I got back to CA. No muss no fuss. Something is not right here. Of course you did not indicate what state you live in ??
Old 03-23-2014, 06:40 AM
Stangslayer
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jaimeleger
Bought my car in NH at MacMulkin. Gave them a check for the MSRP and trailered the car home with the temporary paper plate set to expire in 21 days. The following week went to the DMV in Rhode Island, paid them the sales tax for the car (7%), registration fee , got my plates and DONE. Mac couldn't register the car for me since I was in RI. Was a piece of cake. Love Mac - paid them for the car only - no upsell, no paperwork fee - MSRP and out the door.

MacMulkin rocks!
Since I am in Massachusetts, they registered the car for me - Lowell Ma registry is only a few minutes from them. All I had left to do is the inspection sticker wihin 7 days.
No Problems!
Name:  C7 8.jpg
Views: 1758
Size:  106.7 KB
Old 03-23-2014, 09:13 AM
Stingray Al
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

I live in PA and bought from Kerbecks in NJ back in December. I had my PA plate in 2 weeks. I paid all of the taxes to Kerbeck. Smooth transaction..

Al

Get notified of new replies

To Out of state registration frustrations

Old 03-23-2014, 09:28 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by bluestreak63
my knowledge is New Jersey dealer cannot issue another temp tag.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:30 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by air86
Ok so I picked up the car early February and to my surprise everything registration and title was going to be taken care of for me by Kerbecks title dept. This is a pro turned con to buying 2000 miles away.

Now I am not in any way blaming Kerbeck personnel for this, as this could be a tie up on the DMV end. however they gave me a 20 day non resident permit which expired late February. I am still waiting for my plates to arrive. I don't know where the error is because I called the dealer and they had to check up on the issue and get back to me in which they haven't yet and its been 3 days since then. So my car has been technically illegal to drive for the last 3 weeks even though my paperwork has been submitted and was told they sent it to the DMV. But the DMV website is showing no such transactions being made.

If I could have done it all over again I would have asked them not to do that and just given me the necessary documents and allow me to do it because the longest wait would have been the 3 hours in the DMV. Instead this process has taken over 3 weeks with no end in sight. I absolutely have to drive it to work as I have no other options.

So I was going to tell anyone doing an out of state sale that if allowed. Attempt to do the DMV stuff yourself. It will be easier and less painful that way. Then again I may be the exception to the rule here.

Once again I am not blaming anyone from Kerbeck, I am just frustrated that this is taking 3 weeks longer than it should and its irritating just looking at my car in the garage too afraid of taking it out for a ride because my luck a cherries and berries will pull up right behind me.
most likely scenario here is Kerbeck used a "service" to do the paperwork/tag and they dropped the ball.
The following users liked this post:
RobertAshby (04-08-2017)
Old 03-23-2014, 09:39 AM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Joy
I bought my car out of state. A 20 day temporary tage was hung on the car to drive it home but I am doing the registration (and paying the whopping sales tax) at the DMV myself. I plan on doing this on the 27th, the day before my temporary registration expires.
Isn't New York great! But just think of all the benefits you get for paying high taxes. Let me enumerate:

1. um...

Quick Reply: Out of state registration frustrations