Sponsored by:

Price protected

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 01:16 PM
Ron313
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price protected

I had placed my corvette order in mid january and from what I have read (If i understand it correctly) I am price protected from the increase in price that happened early this month. My order has a TPW of 3/31 and I have a feeling my dealership is going to try to tell me that I have to pay that increase based on reviews of that dealership not being so honest in the past. So I want to go in educated and make sure I know what to tell them about price protection if they try to get more money out of me than we originally agreed upon. How do you guys recommend I express that I am price protected? Do they have to file something with chevrolet or something? Thanks for the information guys.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:20 PM
khoeysr
Corvette fan
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 190 Likes on 98 Posts

If you got a signed buyer's order at the start of the process you should be all set. If not, you could have problems.

That buyer's order should show the exact price you have agreed to.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:21 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,535 Posts

signed deal with deposit...your're good
Old 03-26-2014, 01:34 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

You may have placed the order in mid-January, but you need to make sure you had an order number from GM by 3/2/14 or earlier.

Chances are if you have a TPW of 3/31, like me, your order was entered by 3/2 or earlier. My order number was generated on 2/26.

Don't ask the dealer this question if you don't trust them 100%. Ask Chevy Customer Service via this forum what date your order number was generated.

Assuming it was generated on 3/2 or earlier, take that info to your dealer along with your written contract where the price is specified and tell them you expect they will be running through the necessary procedures with GM to make sure they get the credit they need to get, JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER DEALER has to do when there is a price change and the buyer is guaranteed the old price.

The more you let them know that you know about the process the less likely they will be to try to pull a fast one.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:42 PM
Ron313
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
You may have placed the order in mid-January, but you need to make sure you had an order number from GM by 3/2/14 or earlier.

Chances are if you have a TPW of 3/31, like me, your order was entered by 3/2 or earlier. My order number was generated on 2/26.

Don't ask the dealer this question if you don't trust them 100%. Ask Chevy Customer Service via this forum what date your order number was generated.

Assuming it was generated on 3/2 or earlier, take that info to your dealer along with your written contract where the price is specified and tell them you expect they will be running through the necessary procedures with GM to make sure they get the credit they need to get, JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER DEALER has to do when there is a price change and the buyer is guaranteed the old price.

The more you let them know that you know about the process the less likely they will be to try to pull a fast one.
Thank you. I have had an order number since late january. They only had me sign a sheet that showed what they are going to order and placed it in their folder at the dealership and took at $1000 deposit. I know I'm entitled to the original price I just wanted to be more educated just in case they try to pull a fast one.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:04 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

The dealer will be invoiced at the new price. Some paperwork is necessary on their part to get the difference back. This is a normal process from what I understand.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:37 PM
Rich3211
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ron313
Thank you. I have had an order number since late january. They only had me sign a sheet that showed what they are going to order and placed it in their folder at the dealership and took at $1000 deposit. I know I'm entitled to the original price I just wanted to be more educated just in case they try to pull a fast one.
Did they cash the deposit check, or was it cash.. If cash do you have a dated receipt or acknowledgment of cash received in writing????
Old 03-26-2014, 02:39 PM
Rich3211
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rich3211
Did they cash the deposit check, or was it cash.. If cash do you have a dated receipt or acknowledgment of cash received in writing????
Dealer requests credit from GM and has no problem getting it. You do nothing but pay old price..
Old 03-26-2014, 02:40 PM
Ron313
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Rich3211
Yes they cashed the check very quickly haha. It was dated january 11. I did place in the memo Deposit for corvette.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:45 PM
Diver Down
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by khoeysr
If you got a signed buyer's order at the start of the process you should be all set. If not, you could have problems.

That buyer's order should show the exact price you have agreed to.
This is exactly right. Besides the workbench order you should have signed a contract agreeing to the price and showing the balance of payment after your initial deposit. Once signed by both parties you have a contractual relationship and the old price must be honored. The car's sticker will reflect the higher price but the dealer gets credited back the difference from GM.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:47 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Location: Retired Suffolk County Police Dept NY South Carolina
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ordered a car last Nov and from what I understand your order must have been at 1100 status or higher prior to March 3rd. I have been at 1100 status but realized that my dealer did not have an allocation. Without an allocation your car may never get built.

I had given up on getting a car and was going to order a 2015 when they new 2015s were announced on April 25-26th but I held off on canceling my order in case a miracle happened.

I was bummed out because I knew In would not have a C7 this summer.

Luckily I found a car with the exact colors I wanted and all the main import an options I wanted. I suggest that you make sure your dealer has an allocation, if he does not you will never get your car built.

I found a in stock car at pre March 3rd prices and I hope to pick it up soon. I had wanted to get museum delivery along with the buyers factory tour but that opportunity has been lost.I am keeping my fingers crossed that nothing screws things up. I will not believe that I am getting this car until I am sitting in it with the key in my pocket.

Do not waste time your chance of finding one in stock at pre March 3rd prices is running out.
EDIT

I would not believe what others have told you about your price being protected.

Your price is without a doubt protected IF your car is built.

You could have a valid price protected order that may never get built if the dealer is unable to get an allocation.

Last edited by 2 Ag R8Cs; 03-26-2014 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:57 PM
Diver Down
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2 Ag R8Cs
I ordered a car last Nov and from what I understand your order must have been at 1100 status or higher prior to March 3rd. I have been at 1100 status but realized that my dealer did not have an allocation. Without an allocation your car may never get built.

I had given up on getting a car and was going to order a 2015 when they new 2015s were announced on April 25-26th but I held off on canceling my order in case a miracle happened.

I was bummed out because I knew In would not have a C7 this summer.

Luckily I found a car with the exact colors I wanted and all the main import an options I wanted. I suggest that you make sure your dealer has an allocation, if he does not you will never get your car built.

I found a in stock car at pre March 3rd prices and I hope to pick it up soon. I had wanted to get museum delivery along with the buyers factory tour but that opportunity has been lost.I am keeping my fingers crossed that nothing screws things up. I will not believe that I am getting this car until I am sitting in it with the key in my pocket.

Do not waste time your chance of finding one in stock at pre March 3rd prices is running out.
EDIT

I would not believe what others have told you about your price being protected.

You could have a valid price protected order that may never get built if the dealer is unable to get an allocation.
Good move.

From the movie Rounders:

Mike McDermott (Matt Damon): "Listen, here's the thing, if you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table, then you are the sucker."
Old 03-27-2014, 07:43 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron313
Thank you. I have had an order number since late january. ............
In that case you are price protected. A dealer accepting an order from a customer who then enters that order with GM and GM accepts that order generating the GM sales order number will be price protected as long as the sales entry order eventually gets an allocation assigned to it later on. If a dealer just sits on your order without submitting to GM waiting for an allocation first won't be price protected if that order gets submitted to the GM ordering system after the price increase cutoff date. Moral of the story is that if a dealer knows he will be getting allocations, then he should submit the customer orders to the GM system right away to price protect those customers.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:45 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Originally Posted by 2 Ag R8Cs

True statements.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:49 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Originally Posted by Diver Down
This is exactly right. Besides the workbench order you should have signed a contract agreeing to the price and showing the balance of payment after your initial deposit. Once signed by both parties you have a contractual relationship and the old price must be honored. The car's sticker will reflect the higher price but the dealer gets credited back the difference from GM.
Depends on whether the sales contract is a fixed dollar amount or just references MSRP or a discount fixed amount above or or below MSRP. Point being price relative to MSRP will not protect the buyer from price increases.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:55 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Originally Posted by Modshack
The dealer will be invoiced at the new price. Some paperwork is necessary on their part to get the difference back. This is a normal process from what I understand.
That is not what I remember from when I bought my 2001 Z06 which saw GM raising the MSRP by $1000 between the time the car order was accepted by GM and it then getting built. As I remember, the windshield sticker will show the higher MSRP pricing but the invoice that GM generates and sends to the dealer within a day of production completion will show the previous lower MSRP pricing that existed when the order was accepted by GM.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:22 AM
Ron313
Heel & Toe

My dealer is a pretty big one and had the allocation. I checked with Chevy customer service and it will be built next week. Thanks to everyone here, I have a better understanding and now know that I am in fact price protected. I did not sign a contract just signed some sort of build sheet or something that has MSRP price and they gave me a copy of that. Then I just gave them a check for the deposit which they cashed. So I guess if they try to pull a fast one they have kind of an upper hand seeing as there is no actual contract. I'm just hoping they stay honest to what we agreed on since they can just file paperwork to get the money from GM instead of me.

Get notified of new replies

To Price protected

Quick Reply: Price protected