Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help: C7 fuel door will not unlock

Old 11-29-2015, 11:42 PM
Bikeman
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by millpond
kp, I got inspired by your post and got this skrivet from a local hardware store. Trimed the head to a rectangle shape (the shaft was just right), and installed...works perfectly.
I posted previously about a noisy gas cap solenoid. Took time to analyze the operation today and found that it was no operational. For all I know it's been that way since I picked the car up a year ago.lockig bolt is free to slide back and forth but doesn't move when cycling locking mechanism.now my problem is whether to have the solenoid replaced or leave it alone and accomplish what others are trying to do by obstructing that travel path. My inclination is to do both as I can't bank on the bolt closing at some point and locking me out.and it'd be nice to have a fully functional car
Old 01-25-2016, 01:31 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

I was getting tired of hearing the solenoid click multiple times everytime I opened the door, so I pulled the wheel well liner and extracted the solenoid and lock mechanism this afternoon. I am not really worried about someone stealing gas, and to put something in the tank you need the plastic funnel or a way to hold both flapper valves in the fuel inlet neck open.

The solenoid is NOT spring loaded. The BCM just drives the pin to the locked or unlocked position when the doors are locked or unlocked. Any flex you feel is just the long black arm flexing. The locking pin should stay in the last position it was in.

Here is a photo of the solenoid.

You could just unplug the solenoid and leave it place, or remove the locking arm from the solenoid, but I went ahead and just removed the whole thing. The solenoid releases by just pressing a locking tab on the bottom, and you cannot really reach the electrical connector release without removing the solenoid anyway.

I used a spare connector cap to make sure it was sealed off from moisture.

Arrows show the white solenoid, and the black bar with the locking pin.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 01-28-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:22 PM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

What the. F take it back to the dealer
Old 01-26-2016, 09:42 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

The dealer is not going to be able to do anything to keep you from getting stranded when the fuel door does not unlock.

I have driven cars without a fuel door that locks for 50 years with no problems, so guess I don't need one now.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 04-23-2017 at 12:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BevHirz (08-15-2022)
Old 01-26-2016, 09:50 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,810 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Red Rochester
What the. F take it back to the dealer
Easy answer but what's to stop the new solenoid from doing the same thing as the current "new" solenoid? Plug the hole, never worry about it again. The "correct" answer was to have a manual cable in the trunk to get the fuel door open if the solenoid failed.

Elmer
The following users liked this post:
Vette Jockey (08-06-2020)
Old 01-26-2016, 10:56 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

^^^ I agree GM should have included a manual release, but the way they designed the lock mechanism, it does not readily accommodate a manual release.
They use a lock motor that seems to be gear driven that is not spring loaded, so a manual release connected to the lock pin arm would just be flexing the arm, and not really moving it to where the pin will stay in the unlocked position.
You would have to hold the pin in the unlocked position to open the door.
The motor could be moved to the unlocked position by connecting a manual release to the plunger of the actuator, but it takes a good amount of force to roll the motor/gear mechanism to that position.

A poor design all the way around.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:05 AM
dmhines
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 144 Posts

Tex .. did you have to remove the rear wheel to get the liner out ??
Old 01-26-2016, 11:30 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Yes. It would be very difficult to get to all the screws and work the liner out with the wheel still in place.
With the wheel out, no problems.
Note, two of the screws are hidden behind the plastic splash guard behind the wheel. There is one screw that goes through a tab on the bottom, and the upper part is held on by clips that snap into the edge of the fender.

Old 04-22-2017, 03:15 PM
blt709
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had this happen to me. Thankfully I had enough gas to drive it to the dealer, but they couldn't get it open in the time they had available. Told me to bring it back next week. Found this thread and used it. Worked like a charm. The only thing I did differently was to push the pin back into the hole and move it to the side a little bit so it will never come out again. Debating whether to have it actually fixed or not.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:37 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,185 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I've had the scrivit in there for over two years, and it works like a charm.

A twenty-cent fix that while in place completely prevents the engineering failure?

Works for me.

Last edited by owc6; 04-23-2017 at 12:42 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:16 AM
red 1
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

During my long career as an industrial maintenance technician I have learned to be proactive to avoid equipment breakdowns, the plastic scrivet that I just installed seem to be a very proactive countermeasure to avoid a possible future failure because anything that can fail will eventually.

Last edited by red 1; 04-23-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:23 AM
Eleventh
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 54 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by blt709
Just had this happen to me. Thankfully I had enough gas to drive it to the dealer, but they couldn't get it open in the time they had available. Told me to bring it back next week. Found this thread and used it. Worked like a charm. The only thing I did differently was to push the pin back into the hole and move it to the side a little bit so it will never come out again. Debating whether to have it actually fixed or not.
If you are still under warranty, I'd get it fixed, in case you want to resell.

Otherwise, I'd do the scrivet trick that others have posted.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:09 AM
cesarcano06
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys, nightmare. Mine got locked yesterday. Took the car to the dealer and they couldn't even figure it out. So, they ordered a new fuel door actuator after hour and half trying to get It open. On my side, I tried everything. disconnect the battery, checked manual for a fuse on that fuel door and not even one. I did all the troubleshooting on YouTube, and on this forum. But, I didn't rip the fuel door. It is frustrating. I guess GM failed on not having installed a fuel door cable. Really? if this serious?
Old 05-13-2017, 08:43 AM
MichaelO
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Has any change been made to the 2017 C7 to minimize the chance of this happening?

Have not looked yet but is there a fuse just for this solenoid? If so, you could just pull the fuse when in the unlocked position. Only issue is this might create a code, don't know?
Just an idea to quickly eliminate the locking problem.

Last edited by MichaelO; 05-13-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:46 AM
Eleventh
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 54 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cesarcano06
Guys, nightmare. Mine got locked yesterday. Took the car to the dealer and they couldn't even figure it out. So, they ordered a new fuel door actuator after hour and half trying to get It open. On my side, I tried everything. disconnect the battery, checked manual for a fuse on that fuel door and not even one. I did all the troubleshooting on YouTube, and on this forum. But, I didn't rip the fuel door. It is frustrating. I guess GM failed on not having installed a fuel door cable. Really? if this serious?
Sorry to hear it failed on you. I'm not sure there is an easy fix, it is basically the lock bolt that breaks, you could have a cable, but if the lock is locked, you'd still have the same problem.

Are you really driving a C7 around in South Korea? That is awesome if you are, I salute you!
Old 05-13-2017, 10:24 AM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
+ 1

Someone can just rip the plastic door off if they want access. Since I use passive locking its kind of a pain at times as well.

I never seen this thread but I had my solenoid (or actuator if you prefer) on my '14 freeze twice when I left it overnight in an open parking garage in the winter. Luckily it didnt happen when I really needed gas and after a night in my warm garage it worked fine. I was just going to snip the locking pin off, unplug it when it was 'open' or dremel the door part so it didnt latch anymore. I sold the car and didnt think much more about it until I read this today.

After seeing the christmas tree/scrivet idea here I found a christmas tree fastener in my junk box, it was the right size that fit snug in the hole but large diameter head so I cut it into shape. Even beveled the edge so it closed nicely when the car is locked. It easily pops out if you push it from behind if you want the lock to function. Took about three minutes to make it, looks clean if anything

Pic of the fastener and part number, bought it at one of the chain parts stores.
Perfect! That's the kind of ingenuity which makes this forum a great place for information. Thank you!
Old 05-13-2017, 11:25 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

I would still suggest just removing the wheel liner and extracting the whole actuator....

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help: C7 fuel door will not unlock

Old 05-13-2017, 12:59 PM
cesarcano06
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eleventh
Sorry to hear it failed on you. I'm not sure there is an easy fix, it is basically the lock bolt that breaks, you could have a cable, but if the lock is locked, you'd still have the same problem.

Are you really driving a C7 around in South Korea? That is awesome if you are, I salute you!
No I am not, lol. I am in Florida by Tampa. hahahaha
Old 05-13-2017, 03:50 PM
Wadoka
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran

Nothing helpful to contribute, but GM sure blew the DFMEA on that particular system. Oy.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:23 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

I put a scrivet in the hole. Problem solved

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Help: C7 fuel door will not unlock