Sponsored by:

2014 C7 depreciation / discounts

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 09:26 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Default 2014 C7 depreciation / discounts

Interesting thing happened to me yesterday when I brought my car back to the dealer for the first time (for replacement of my original cracked tires) - the salesperson asked, "do you want to trade your car in?" I thought he was referring to my H3 Hummer that I drove there in, so I said, "I actually already have a buyer for my Hummer," then he goes, "No, I'm talking about your Corvette!" I had a confused look and he then explained that he can buy it back it back from me for more than I paid (I paid MSRP). I didn't ask him by how much, because I want to keep my car, but I'm guessing it would have to have been a good $3k or so above what I bought for him to even ask me.

He then went on about how they bought some C7's from other dealer's at MSRP and sold for over MSRP, and that they're now starting to buy some slightly used C7's from the U.S., and again selling those at a premium as well (they have a 2LT Z51 Cyber Gray Kalahari from the U.S. that they've listed for $89k lol (Canadian currency, but still well over MSRP)).

Just wanted to share that story as I know there's been talks of how much the Stingray has already depreciated, and a few posters here laughed at me in another thread when I said that had I waited until 2015 to shop for a one-year used 2014 3LT I would still have to pay more than I did for my new 2014 1LT in 2014.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:29 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

It's a whole different ballgame here in Canada though, due to the very low allocation we have up here. So dealers are scrambling for cars that they can sell now that the weather is getting warmer. In the US there are a lot of dealers with cars sitting in inventory, so the value is not going to be as high down there.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:29 PM
Jeffer
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

shows you how stupid guys are in the east (as opposed to out west) in canada as we just buy from a big dealer in USA, get a 3g discount, register it in Montana and bring it up, and save 5 g a pop

but I hear ya, strong market when they limit cars to be brought into the stealerships

Jeffer2013
Old 04-06-2014, 09:37 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Originally Posted by Patman
It's a whole different ballgame here in Canada though
True, I guess this thread was partly a petty "told you so" thing on my part to the few CF'ers who laughed when I tried explaining how I actually saved money by buying a new 2014 versus a used one a year later.

But even otherwise, its a cool story - especially for those other Canadians who also bought at MSRP before the price increase and before all C7's allocated to Canada were built.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:43 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffer
shows you how stupid guys are in the east (as opposed to out west) in canada as we just buy from a big dealer in USA, get a 3g discount, register it in Montana and bring it up, and save 5 g a pop

but I hear ya, strong market when they limit cars to be brought into the stealerships

Jeffer2013
Yah... good luck with that

Given the very slim difference in MSRP between the US and Canada on the C7 and the growing dollar difference, any savings you get wouldn't be worth the headache IMO. My bet is once the deal is done, there is no savings at all. The C6 world was different.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:50 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Originally Posted by gthal
Yah... good luck with that

Given the very slim difference in MSRP between the US and Canada on the C7 and the growing dollar difference, any savings you get wouldn't be worth the headache IMO. My bet is once the deal is done, there is no savings at all. The C6 world was different.
x2, the 2LT that the dealership told me they bought slightly used from the U.S. ending up costing them $75k after currency conversion, shipping costs, etc.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:55 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Achmed

But even otherwise, its a cool story - especially for those other Canadians who also bought at MSRP before the price increase and before all C7's allocated to Canada were built.
It must be super tempting for a lot of guys to part with their C7s up here when they are offered more than what they paid for them! Good to hear you stuck to your guns though! You would have hated yourself if you had to go an entire summer without the car! You can't put a pricetag on that!
Old 04-06-2014, 10:23 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Getting one from the States I thought would nullify your warranty if it's newer than 6 months old.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:28 PM
Swath
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
Getting one from the States I thought would nullify your warranty if it's newer than 6 months old.

It does and the dealer who sold it can be fined by GM. If it was a private sale that person might get labeled an exporter and be barred from buying new GM vehicles ever again.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:41 PM
kero
Advanced

You shouldn't kid yourself a base vette will depreciate like a rock after the first year
Old 04-06-2014, 11:12 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by kero
You shouldn't kid yourself a base vette will depreciate like a rock after the first year
Let's qualify that statement:

You THINK the 2014s will depreciate "like a rock", because after all, unless you have a crystal ball, that is just your guess. ..and your guess is no better than anyone elses.

Anyone who thinks the 2014s WON'T depreciate "like a rock" is not kidding themselves. They just happen to have a different personal opinion than you on the subject.

IF you are a prospective C7 buyer.....it is human nature for prospective used C7 buyers to predict a higher rate of depreciation on a used C7, since that would be in their best interest.

Predictions from prospective used C7 buyers on the depreciation rate of used C7s should be taken with a grain of salt.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 04-06-2014 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:56 PM
redshift1
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Achmed
Interesting thing happened to me yesterday when I brought my car back to the dealer for the first time (for replacement of my original cracked tires) - the salesperson asked, "do you want to trade your car in?" I thought he was referring to my H3 Hummer that I drove there in, so I said, "I actually already have a buyer for my Hummer," then he goes, "No, I'm talking about your Corvette!" I had a confused look and he then explained that he can buy it back it back from me for more than I paid (I paid MSRP). I didn't ask him by how much, because I want to keep my car, but I'm guessing it would have to have been a good $3k or so above what I bought for him to even ask me.

He then went on about how they bought some C7's from other dealer's at MSRP and sold for over MSRP, and that they're now starting to buy some slightly used C7's from the U.S., and again selling those at a premium as well (they have a 2LT Z51 Cyber Gray Kalahari from the U.S. that they've listed for $89k lol (Canadian currency, but still well over MSRP)).

Just wanted to share that story as I know there's been talks of how much the Stingray has already depreciated, and a few posters here laughed at me in another thread when I said that had I waited until 2015 to shop for a one-year used 2014 3LT I would still have to pay more than I did for my new 2014 1LT in 2014.

Where did this conversation take place ???

Old 04-07-2014, 12:34 PM
kero
Advanced

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
Let's qualify that statement:

You THINK the 2014s will depreciate "like a rock", because after all, unless you have a crystal ball, that is just your guess. ..and your guess is no better than anyone elses.

Anyone who thinks the 2014s WON'T depreciate "like a rock" is not kidding themselves. They just happen to have a different personal opinion than you on the subject.

IF you are a prospective C7 buyer.....it is human nature for prospective used C7 buyers to predict a higher rate of depreciation on a used C7, since that would be in their best interest.

Predictions from prospective used C7 buyers on the depreciation rate of used C7s should be taken with a grain of salt.
The C7 is not a limited production car. Depreciation on mass produced cars is always large.

With the news on the C7 auto tranny's the first year auto cars are going to get hit even harder.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:11 PM
Marioshi
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depreciation on mass produced cars is always large.
This is false. I bought a 2011 WRX new for $24k dollars in Feb 2011. I just sold it in Feb 2014 for $22k. I would not call that "large" depreciation. I would call it super fantastic low depreciation for a new car especially considering it was out of warranty. Enthusiast cars often hold their value better than most cars.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:32 PM
Wonger
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Marioshi
This is false. I bought a 2011 WRX new for $24k dollars in Feb 2011. I just sold it in Feb 2014 for $22k. I would not call that "large" depreciation. I would call it super fantastic low depreciation for a new car especially considering it was out of warranty. Enthusiast cars often hold their value better than most cars.
'05 Mustang GT. $25500 new. Traded in '09 after five years and 50k mi for $19900.

Buy right, and you can avoid the huge hit. Just placed my order with Supplier discount and museum delivery.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:39 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

This morning I ran the supplier pricing calculation for a new LT1/auto/nav, and the price was almost $5000 less than list. Employee pricing will be a better deal than that.

This by itself will tend to drive used prices down, at least if you're in Michigan or nearby.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:08 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Right now, the hot new C7 is the only game in town. Normal depreciation rules don't apply. Wait till this time next year, when all 2014 C7's will be last years model and the new 2015 stingray's and Z06's are being cranked out in large numbers ( both available with the new A8 with dual clutch comparable performance) with the normal second year corrections and improvements. The whole picture will change. There will be plenty of 2015's available. Obviously, 2014's will not be in nearly as much demand as they are now. Just the normal returning to sanity after a new vette introduction.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:39 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

The C7 is not a limited production car. Depreciation on mass produced cars is always large.

With the news on the C7 auto tranny's the first year auto cars are going to get hit even harder.

On your 2nd point, I disagree. If it were a DCT replacing the A6 there would be some extra depreciation, but they only updated to an A8, not a DCT. The A8 is an incremental update. The DCT would have been a huge upgrade. I had the DCT in my last car (2009 Z4 35i). It was fantastic.

THERE IS A REASON WHY GM KEEPS COMPARING THE A6 AND A8 TO THE DCT. IT'S BECAUSE IT'S STILL THE BENCHMARK.

The 2005 A4 to the 2006 A6 was a pretty big upgrade, since the A4 was junk, but we don't see a large gap between resale values of 2005s and 2006s. So, why would there be any additional gap in resale value between a 2014 A6 vs 2015 A8 in a few years.

My C7 A6 will be here in a couple weeks. There will be incremental improvements every year. I'm not worried about resale values, since I plan to keep the car 4 years. Now, if they drop a DCT in it in 3 years, THAT would make me consider trading in early.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 04-07-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:10 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 502 Likes on 347 Posts

it might be a mass produced car by definition but it is nothing short of a phenomena! Sure we will see depreciation but this car will look and be cutting edge for time to come. I did not buy this car to sell it, I bought it to drive and in that category it only appreciates to me.

Get notified of new replies

To 2014 C7 depreciation / discounts

Quick Reply: 2014 C7 depreciation / discounts