Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Today was an amazing day

Old 04-06-2014, 11:09 PM
paul310
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Today was an amazing day

Keep in mind while reading this that I'm 15 years old, and only have a permit...

Today, we were at the house of my parents' friend, a really nice guy who just picked up a Laguna Blue C7. I asked him how he liked it, etc. and asked him if he got the NPP exhaust. He said he "knew it was louder" but wasn't quite sure, so we headed out to his garage to have a look. It turns out that he did, but I couldn't quite figure out how to open or close the valves (the Vette of my parents is a C6 with M2W). I spent about a minute trying to find the settings and figure it out, with him standing outside the door. He explained to me how he wasn't home when it was delivered, and hadn't gotten a chance to really figure out all the settings and all. Then he offers me to take it home for the night, figure it all out, and have him pick it up tomorrow. Not just a test drive, or a "let's go around the block", take it home for the night. He also made it very clear that I was to drive it. Now, it was an auto (my stick shift skills are still a little below par for driving a car I'm unfamiliar with in traffic), but still, the fact that he gave a 15 year old the key to a 460 horsepower car was nothing short of amazing.

So, now let's get to the drive - about 20 miles total. Obviously, I didn't spin tires or speed, not only because my mom was with me, but also because it's not my car, and most importantly it's illegal. But, I didn't need to do either of those things to realize what an amazing drive it was. Everything about the car, from how responsive the brakes were, to how good it sounded (I figured out those exhaust valves real quick) was incredible. Once I got somewhat comfortable I tried the paddle shifters, and I have to say, those amazed me the most. The fact that I can pull what I imagine to be no more than a button, and change gears so fast is really something. My parents C6 is a stick so I can't really compare these to anything, but they seemed to shift pretty fast.

Another thing that amazed me was the attention it got. We ordered carry out (I volunteered to drive before the order was placed) and I waited in the car for about 15 minutes as my stepdad went in for the food. It was at an outdoor mall, and I got a total of five comments. In the C6, there's the occasional thumbs up, or "nice car". Not in this case - I must've talked to two of these people for several minutes, as they came up to my window and asked how it drove, and told me about their Corvette, etc. The best comment was "tell your dad he's got a nice car", as if I could even try to pretend it was my own.

I'm so grateful to have been given the opportunity to drive this car. Now I really know why there are so many forum members on here so often Keep buying these new, so they will still be making them when I can finally order mine in Lime Rock Green, on Kalahari (it'll probably be a C8 by then ).

Last edited by paul310; 04-06-2014 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:30 PM
Aflyer
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Paul310,
That does sound like an amazing day, I am glad you got your introduction to the C7 from the drivers seat.

Now you might have to explain your Avatar. If you are a Studebaker fan, you are already aware those cars had something in common with the Corvettes, they were ahead of there time.

Thanks for sharing your story, hope you can sleep tonight.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:46 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by paul310
Keep in mind while reading this that I'm 15 years old, and only have a permit...

Today, we were at the house of my parents' friend, a really nice guy who just picked up a Laguna Blue C7. I asked him how he liked it, etc. and asked him if he got the NPP exhaust. He said he "knew it was louder" but wasn't quite sure, so we headed out to his garage to have a look. It turns out that he did, but I couldn't quite figure out how to open or close the valves (the Vette of my parents is a C6 with M2W). I spent about a minute trying to find the settings and figure it out, with him standing outside the door. He explained to me how he wasn't home when it was delivered, and hadn't gotten a chance to really figure out all the settings and all. Then he offers me to take it home for the night, figure it all out, and have him pick it up tomorrow. Not just a test drive, or a "let's go around the block", take it home for the night. He also made it very clear that I was to drive it. Now, it was an auto (my stick shift skills are still a little below par for driving a car I'm unfamiliar with traffic), but still, the fact that he gave a 15 year old the key to a 460 horsepower car was nothing short of amazing.

So, now let's get to the drive - about 20 miles total. Obviously, I didn't spin tires or speed, not only because my mom was with me, but also because it's not my car, and most importantly it's illegal. But, I didn't need to do either of those things to realize what an amazing drive it was. Everything about the car, from how responsive the brakes were, to how good it sounded (I figured out those exhaust valves real quick) was incredible. Once I got somewhat comfortable I tried the paddle shifters, and I have to say, those amazed me the most. The fact that I can pull what I imagine to be no more than a button, and change gears so fast is really something. My parents C6 is a stick so I can't really compare these to anything, but they seemed seemed to shift pretty fast.

Another thing that amazed me was the attention it got. We ordered carry out (I volunteered to drive before the order was placed) and I waited in the car for about 15 minutes as my stepdad went in for the food. It was at an outdoor mall, and I got a total of five comments. In the C6, there's the occasional thumbs up, or "nice car". Not in this case - I must've talked to two of these people for several minutes, as they came up to my window and asked how it drove, and told me about their Corvette, etc. The best comment was "tell your dad he's got a nice car", as if I could even try to pretend it was my own.

I'm so grateful to have been given the opportunity to drive this car. Now I really know why there are so many forum members on here so often Keep buying these new, so they will still be making them when I can finally order mine in Lime Rock Green, on Kalahari (it'll probably be a C8 by then ).
You sound like a very responsible 15 year old. Congrats on such a memorable experience. You'll remember this for the rest of you life.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:54 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

...a life-time enthusiast evolves !
Old 04-07-2014, 12:00 AM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Great story, and very well written I might add. Did your mom take any pictures?
Old 04-07-2014, 12:04 AM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

I'm a little past 15, but I had a slightly similar experience when I was in High School. I grew up in a small agricultural town. One day, word got around that a car dealership had received a brand new Porsche 911. I don't I had even seen one yet, so we headed downtown to see it. (911's had just been introduced).

Imagine my shock when the salesman hands us the keys and says to just try to have it back within a few hours! Fortunately for everybody, we got the car back without a scratch.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:13 AM
paul310
Instructor

Originally Posted by gcooper
Paul310,
That does sound like an amazing day, I am glad you got your introduction to the C7 from the drivers seat.

Now you might have to explain your Avatar. If you are a Studebaker fan, you are already aware those cars had something in common with the Corvettes, they were ahead of there time.

Thanks for sharing your story, hope you can sleep tonight.

The early Loewy coupes are my favorite examples of vehicular design. I think they are beyond beautiful, seeing how sleek they are, and free of the excess chrome and trim that so many cars had in 1954. Like you said, very ahead of their time. The later Hawks are neat, especially the supercharged Golden Hawks, but the upright grille and fins seem to somewhat detract from Loewy's original styling. While the 53-54s are my favorites, I saw a 1958 Packard Hawk at last years St. John's Concours, and it was gorgeous.

The one pictured is my uncle's which is now sold (sadly). It was stock, except for the wheels and 233, which were swapped for wire wheels and a 327. And, of course, the paint, which was how he purchased it. I'm hoping to own a stock one one day, preferably a 1954 Starliner. By the time I can find a stock one for sale, I'll probably have the money for it
Old 04-07-2014, 12:16 AM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

I always liked the Avantis...slick design for their era.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:21 AM
paul310
Instructor

Originally Posted by stevebz06
I'm a little past 15, but I had a slightly similar experience when I was in High School. I grew up in a small agricultural town. One day, word got around that a car dealership had received a brand new Porsche 911. I don't I had even seen one yet, so we headed downtown to see it. (911's had just been introduced).

Imagine my shock when the salesman hands us the keys and says to just try to have it back within a few hours! Fortunately for everybody, we got the car back without a scratch.
That's awesome! There's a Porsche/VW/Audi dealer not too far from us as well, I usually stop by every so often to see all the new ones. I haven't been given the keys, though
Old 04-07-2014, 12:24 AM
paul310
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
I always liked the Avantis...slick design for their era.
Definitely a slick design. Not the most beautiful, that's for sure, but very futuristic and unique. It's neat to see the 80s replicas, and how they don't look especially outdated for the 80s, even though they were designed some 20 years prior.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:25 AM
paul310
Instructor

Originally Posted by VETJAZZ
Great story, and very well written I might add. Did your mom take any pictures?
Yes, they're on my camera, I'll upload them tomorrow.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:13 AM
level6
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pretty cool Paul. You write/express yourself very well. Yeah, even without burnin the tires this car is a pleasure to drive.

My son wasn't interested in cars at all. When he was 21 he finally needed a license, we went out in the vette for a weekend, he picked up on it fine, and took his test on Monday. Great young man, just not a car guy. You go Paul.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:16 AM
Second Vette
Drifting

Received 642 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebz06

I love these stories. When I was 16, I was at my Brother's Engagement Party. I had my License a few months at best, driving my $100 beater 55 Chevy, (wish I kept that one, oh well).
My Brother's friend was there and he had just purchased a 69 Roadrunner. Red with White Interior, 383 with a 4 Speed.

I'm sitting there having a terrible time when my Brother's friend yells out to me, hey, go buy me some Cigarettes. He then tosses me the Keys to his Brand New Roadrunner.

Needless to say, I wasn't old enough to buy the Cigarettes, but when I pulled into the Drive Through Dairy (remember those?), the Kid working there didn't give me a second look. He was just enthralled with the Car. He sells me the Marlboro's, and I was on my way. It took me 20 minutes to get back to the Party that was three blocks away. I don't think I've been so paranoid driving a Car.

Someday, I'm getting one of those Roadrunners, someday.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:35 AM
Waytofastvette2006
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like you had fun ! I was 18 when I purchased my first c5 it took me 11 years to build up capital to be in the position to pay for a new c7 outright.

Is it a waste of $ ? Yeah it is but it's so worth it I remember the excitement of driving that 98 c5 convertible In 2001 as my own. I've owned 5 corvettes since then and nothing compares to those few first drives.

I may be getting old ( 31 now ) but even after putting 150k miles on 3c5's 1 c6 and now the c7 the Vette still makes me smile. Especially first gear full throttle with no spinning tires. The c7 is brutal !

Time to start saving !
Old 04-07-2014, 04:09 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

When I was your age my dad's second car was a ten-year-old '57 Chevy Bel Air V8, but then he sold it and bought a Chevelle SS396. I drove both instead of his Oldsmobile 88.

Never exceeded 135 mph, and I did that only once on a completely clear, flat road.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:41 AM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

What an awesome story and such a rad experience.

While living in Germany when I was about 12, my dad came home with an 89 gold C4. Going for rides on the autobahn was a crazy experience to say the least. Later when I was about 18 a friends dad asked if I wanted to ride with him to the family gathering in his red C5 coupe with RKsport hood, rear lip spoiler and am exhaust I can still remember. You can imagine my answer and that was the first time I had been sideways in a car all the while with the biggest smile on my face.

Never really thought about it but Vettes had been in my life for a while and after renting an 08 Z in Vegas it was time for me to join the club. I most certainly see myself owning several as time goes on.

There's just something about these cars.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:41 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

You must be a very responsible 15 yr. old to be trusted with a new C7. Plus your neighbor must be a very trusting guy to loan out his C7 to you. Kudos to both of you.

Get notified of new replies

To Today was an amazing day

Old 04-07-2014, 11:54 AM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,069 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Good work GM, you got the younger generation interested in corvettes. Now don't overprice them out of the market.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:10 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Yes, they have made a few improvements since the Studebaker in your avatar and the 1953 Corvette was new.

Last edited by JoesC5; 04-07-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:37 AM
msaldivar
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Interesting

Don't know about the rest of you forum folks, but I want to hire this kid. So well spoken and responsible for a fifteen year old!
Paul...you kick the rest of these "millennials" a$$es.
Be proud young man, you will do well in life. Thank your parents. They did it right!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Today was an amazing day