Sponsored by:

C7/Z51 ride quality w/o Magnetic Ride Control

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 02:17 PM
cg02175
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default C7/Z51 ride quality w/o Magnetic Ride Control

I am about to order a new C7 with the Z51 package, but I really don't want to spend the extra $1,900 for the Magnetic Ride Control (MRC) option.

With this said, I am hearing the Z51 package without the MRC makes for a rough ride due to the stiffer suspension. One blog I read gives very negative feedback on a Z51 corvette without the MRC option.

I am pretty much at my buying limit on options, and really don't want to tack on another almost $2,000 for the MRC.

I know this topic has been touched on before within the forum, but what are some opinions of the Z51 C7 corvettes owners without the MRC option. See link below for the blog in question I referenced above.

I have no intentions of tracking my car, but I still like the options the Z-51 package provides.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...rst-drive.html
Old 04-08-2014, 02:23 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Yes its been beat like a dead horse, but I'll give ya my 2 cents worth.

I never had MRC in any of my 3 Vettes. The C7 rides very well w/o it and it is a Z51. I do track the car occasionally.

Not sure you have any idea how long you may keep the car but if long term replacing MRC is a major expense. It is rather dependable but everything needs replaced eventually.

If you are in NE Ohio I'd offer you a hands on experience with my car to see for yourself.

No way do I see value in MRC especially with the C7 that it cannot be adjusted independently and is tied to the driving setting.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:32 PM
cg02175
Racer

Greg00coupe,

Thanks for the feedback. I am leaning toward not spending the extra money for the MRC. I would also think the ride quality would also be fine because most of the time my car would be in tour mode, so that should also help the ride quality under normal street driving.

How much difference in quality of ride do you see on your non MRC Z51 when switching from track mode back to tour mode for normal street driving?
Old 04-08-2014, 02:41 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by cg02175
How much difference in quality of ride do you see on your non MRC Z51 when switching from track mode back to tour mode for normal street driving?
It is VERY noticeable to me in my coupe.

Track and feel every pebble on the road. Tour, you don't. Tour is much softer riding than my wife's C5 ZO6. Track is much stiffer. Don't take this wrong, I don't necessarily find Track objectionable just noticeably stiffer.

Subjective I know but those are my impressions..

(ok, one more impression... Take my wife, please)
Old 04-08-2014, 02:44 PM
harley2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,339 Likes on 590 Posts

I've had MRC in a couple C6's! You could hardly notice the difference when switching between modes!

With the C7 there is huge difference when going between modes!

With that said & keeping in mind I have only drove my C7 with MRC!
I think the ride will be fine without it (MRC)!

With that said, if you can figure out a way to afford getting the MRC
you will be happy you did!
Old 04-08-2014, 03:36 PM
T_Bone
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

First vette but I have a Z51 w/o and it's fine for me. Haven't tracked it but have 800 DD miles. No regrets.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:39 PM
cg02175
Racer

Thanks everyone for the responses.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:42 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by cg02175
I am about to order a new C7 with the Z51 package, but I really don't want to spend the extra $1,900 for the Magnetic Ride Control (MRC) option.

With this said, I am hearing the Z51 package without the MRC makes for a rough ride due to the stiffer suspension. One blog I read gives very negative feedback on a Z51 corvette without the MRC option.

I am pretty much at my buying limit on options, and really don't want to tack on another almost $2,000 for the MRC.

I know this topic has been touched on before within the forum, but what are some opinions of the Z51 C7 corvettes owners without the MRC option. See link below for the blog in question I referenced above.

I have no intentions of tracking my car, but I still like the options the Z-51 package provides.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...rst-drive.html
Do a search on here. There is much more to MRC than ride quality. It has a lot to do with handling and other items. Do your research first.
I believe ride is only a minor consideration.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:46 PM
Zee51Vert
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

...roads in Montreal are not so great and I will occasionally track my car. Having said that I can go from soft to hard at my fingertip...

I do not have my car yet but from what I read there is a serious difference from one mode of suspension to the next...and I know my wife will appreciate the softer ride when she is onboard...
Old 04-08-2014, 03:49 PM
onyx_z71
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

The Cars.com website may be misleading as they say the Z51 car comes with Performance Traction Management where the base does not. While PTM is available on the Z51, it must have Mag Ride to be included.

My car has Z51 and it is mainly because I wanted Mag Ride. The handling and ride is incredible and I have zero regrets.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:56 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a Z51 without magnetic ride. I was having the same thoughts and fears that you're having when it came to time to order, but I took a chance did not get the mag ride. The way I saw it is, if the ride is really that bad without MSRC then GM would have included it with the Z51 package and not left it as an option.

That said, now that I've been driving mine, I find the ride totally fine...and the roads in my area are not very good. If you're on the fence about MSRC and your only reason to order it is the ride quality without it (i.e. you're not tracking the car) - I'd definitely say to save your $ and not get it.

Put the approx. $2k you'll save towards yellow paint and black stripes ;-) lol
Old 04-08-2014, 04:18 PM
Vettefan666
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've already owned two C7s (long story), both Z51s, the latest one has MAG ride, the first one did not. Trust me on this, you DON'T need MAG ride because the car is so well-built, it soaks up the poor roads without a problem. BUT...you need MAG ride for PTM, and I think it's worth it, even just for the resale value. Good luck.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:55 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

For me it's simple--get it! The price is WELL worth the admission. I LOVE my 2LT with Mag.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:08 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe

I never had MRC in any of my 3 Vettes. The C7 rides very well w/o it and it is a Z51. I do track the car occasionally.

Not sure you have any idea how long you may keep the car but if long term replacing MRC is a major expense. It is rather dependable but everything needs replaced eventually.

If you are in NE Ohio I'd offer you a hands on experience with my car to see for yourself.

No way do I see value in MRC especially with the C7 that it cannot be adjusted independently and is tied to the driving setting.

The straight Z51 is a great handling package for a smooth ride and very capable in the curves. I'm adding back NPP but could careless
about the MAG ride!
Old 04-08-2014, 07:16 PM
rdrnr
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

According to most car test magazines I have read the best ride is achieved with the Z51 and MRC combination. I have it and have to agree.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:24 PM
Algiers
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe

I've been going back on forth on this myself and the replacement cost is definitely something I'm a little concerned about. I know it will vary, but does anyone have an estimated amount of miles that it would likely be replaced?
Old 04-08-2014, 07:35 PM
MIC7
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a Z51 w/o and a ZL1 with, the C7 rides great, the Camaro is a little smoother. The fact I wouldn't change a thing, you won't miss it. If you can afford it then buy it, it's a nice option. I passed because of the replacement cost later down the road and others saying it was pretty smooth. No regrets!
The following users liked this post:
corvettec6ctsvsport (10-22-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To C7/Z51 ride quality w/o Magnetic Ride Control

Old 04-08-2014, 07:45 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by rdrnr
According to most car test magazines I have read the best ride is achieved with the Z51 and MRC combination. I have it and have to agree.
The car mags are testing the car they received. Drive the Non then speak! I have the non Mag ride Z51 and I think the Mag ride is not as great as they say ! The mag ride is not going any faster around a track either!
Old 04-08-2014, 08:29 PM
rotherd31
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always loved a firm ride....all the time. I figured I'd be fine without it and I am! Firm, authoritive, but not even close to being rough or brutal. God knows the roads here in Michigan are less than velvet For me, no need at all for the mag ride. I don't plan on tracking the car, but I go to the Smokies twice a year and don't have to go that far to play in the twisties, although the Smokies is nirvana for me
Old 04-08-2014, 09:58 PM
MikeK
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I now have some miles on my Z51 w/o Mag and can honestly say I'm not missing anything. I drive predominantly in Sport and the ride is greaat. Track is somewhat firmer, however, you will never miss it not being there. Save your $$$$ for something more worthwhile that you may want to get.

Quick Reply: C7/Z51 ride quality w/o Magnetic Ride Control