Sponsored by:

First long trip observations:

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 01:22 PM
kenrobb
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 85 Posts

Default First long trip observations:

Just home from a week long trip to south Texas with corvette club. Total of 1353 miles; 27.2 mpg overall. Only had 500 miles on the car at start of trip. Drove 300+ miles in eco mode. Didn’t really see much mileage increase. It was 27.8 for that 300+ miles at 70 mph or so. In eco the car seems to be less responsive to gas. Not that it is a dog, just a bit slow on throttle response and slowing down at lights. Drove most of trip in sport. With magnetic ride it is a smooth car to take on trips. The power top is dream also to operate. Not much wind buffet with side glasses up. Navigation system: might be taking my Garmin along on next trip for back up. Several of the destinations I choose where either not in the data base or just plain wrong on location. Have Google maps for backup also, but a plain paper map sure works wonders also.
Couple of times the gas lid door got out of wack; opens when it shouldn’t. Easy to fix each time though. Guess the more we drive it the more we learn about its “strange” programming. The HUD link from the navigation is nice. Have to get use to the “talk” words that are used though. Drove the length of the new TX toll road from east of San Antonio to north of Austin. That was fun at 85+ mph extended. Toll cost was $16.81 though! Car handles very nice to say the least. The Z51 tires are sure soft and sticky when hot. Gravel really sticks to them and into them. Will be getting the front mounted sensor to be able to safely park into a front curb sport. Usually had wife get out and “direct” me as to how close to the curb I was.
I noticed the trans oil temperature to very slowly heat up. On a 200 mile stretch in 80 degree temp, the fluid temp showed 220+ max. It stayed real low for quite a distance so it doesn't heat up quickly. Be interesting to see what it does this summer in 100+ outside temp.
Also noticed that the tach would show yellow line at 3500 each morning when I first started the car. Then as engine warmed up the yellow line would move up 100 rpm till it was at 6500 red line.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:47 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Yea you should look at the chips in the rocker panels to see what those soft tires and stones are doing!!!! No a pretty sight.

Quick Reply: First long trip observations: