Sponsored by:

Corvette "most American"

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 01:33 PM
TX Navy Vet
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Corvette "most American"

Not really an "award", but the Corvette was just named the "most made in America" vehicle in a tie with the F150 (which I also used to own until I traded it in last week....)

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/...tcmp=features#

General Motors Company has plenty to celebrate this year, though, because the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray was at the top of this list for cars with the most American-made content. Meanwhile, the Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse, and GMC Acadia triplets tied for second place.

However, there was also a tie for first. The F-150 pickup truck from Ford Motor Company had an identical score to the Corvette. For once, reality lives up to expectations: it's hard to think of two more American vehicles than the Corvette and F-150.

The index is compiled by American University professor Frank DuBois using data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. DuBois ranks 318 new-car models based on location of a manufacturer's headquarters, design, research, and manufacturing facilities, and where the profits go once the cars are sold.

For the record, under the American Automotive Labeling Act, if 75 percent of a vehicle's parts are manufactured in the U.S. or Canada, it is considered a domestic product. Perhaps not surprisingly, around 80 percent of Americans would prefer to buy a domestic car, according to a recent Consumer Reports National Research Center survey.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:51 PM
sdk
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

Salute!!
Old 04-18-2014, 09:03 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

Really? About the part that says 80% of Americans would prefer to buy American. I wonder why so many cars I see are foreign made, then. I try to support the domestics, and I think everything I have now is a domestic, but an awful lot of people I know would rather be staked to an ant hill than drive a domestic.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:13 PM
TX Navy Vet
Pro

Originally Posted by stevebz06
Really? About the part that says 80% of Americans would prefer to buy American. I wonder why so many cars I see are foreign made, then. I try to support the domestics, and I think everything I have now is a domestic, but an awful lot of people I know would rather be staked to an ant hill than drive a domestic.
Must be your location.

Most people in my area buy, drive, love, domestic vehicles.

It may be because we have fire ants here?
Old 04-18-2014, 09:34 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,753 Likes on 4,182 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Originally Posted by stevebz06

Steve, just to clarify here-this award is for the following (quoted from the article):

For the record, under the American Automotive Labeling Act, if 75 percent of a vehicle's parts are manufactured in the U.S. or Canada, it is considered a domestic product. Perhaps not surprisingly, around 80 percent of Americans would prefer to buy a domestic car, according to a recent Consumer Reports National Research Center survey.

So this is for the car/truck with the most PARTS that are manufactured here in North America.

Personally, my Daily Driver is an Acura TL Type S. I support buying American. I want to drive a Domestic vehicle. The C7 Stingray is one of the only ones that I felt was worth owning.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:48 PM
IndyBlue
Instructor

Old 04-18-2014, 10:50 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

x3

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...e-vehicle.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...u-can-buy.html

Last edited by Steve_R; 04-18-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:17 AM
thedofuss
Drifting

Originally Posted by TX Navy Vet
Not really an "award", but the Corvette was just named the "most made in America" vehicle in a tie with the F150 (which I also used to own until I traded it in last week....)

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/...tcmp=features#

General Motors Company has plenty to celebrate this year, though, because the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray was at the top of this list for cars with the most American-made content. Meanwhile, the Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse, and GMC Acadia triplets tied for second place.

However, there was also a tie for first. The F-150 pickup truck from Ford Motor Company had an identical score to the Corvette. For once, reality lives up to expectations: it's hard to think of two more American vehicles than the Corvette and F-150.

The index is compiled by American University professor Frank DuBois using data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. DuBois ranks 318 new-car models based on location of a manufacturer's headquarters, design, research, and manufacturing facilities, and where the profits go once the cars are sold.

so, what % for vette?
Old 04-19-2014, 08:02 AM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

This is my first new American car ever, I am very proud to finally be doing this. No better car than the Corvette. I think it is interesting talking to people about the car I bought, they are much more interested in knowing about the C7 than they ever were with my M cars.

I used to say I have an M5 and they would be "What's that".....Now I mention Corvette and I often get people telling me stories about Corvette encounters or people they know. Very cool conversation piece.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:15 AM
level6
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TX Navy Vet
I think it's a big enough deal that you could include it on your awards poster you are making. (Make sure and start a thread to show us when you do)

If the Corvette in it's present form was made by Honda or Mazda, (that's a funny thought), I'm sure it would not get as much attention on the streets of America. Most people recognize that it's a Corvette and equate that with 'made in America'. People are proud of that. It's ours. "We" made that.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette "most American"

Quick Reply: Corvette "most American"