Sponsored by:

C7 is very nice, so why trash the C6

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 09:03 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C7 is very nice, so why trash the C6

We all know that with progress things are made to be better and evolve into a more modern and sophisticated product like the C7 has done a good job of.

With that being said why don't people realize that the best performing Corvettes ever built are C6's. The ZR1 and ZO6 to date are the best performing Vettes GM has ever built.

When the C7 fans and owners talk of why the C7 is a "better" car what is it you are referring to comparing against the ZR and ZO6? Is it that you feel the ergonomics are better, the quality of the materials, the tech features, performance or styling?

Until the new ZO6 comes out and dethrones (which I'm sure it will) the two C6 Z cars they are still king of the hill so they deserve better treatment from the so called Corvette brethren.

I can guarantee that most responses will be to argue as opposed to discuss, let's see if this topic can be kept civil. Next year I am either going to buy a ZO6 or an NSX so don't come saying I am bashing the C7 for the ZO6 is a C7.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:25 AM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

As a currant C6 base owner, soom to be C7 owner my thoughts as to why the the C7 is "better" are: it's newer, better interior, fresher design. more tech and last is " I've got one and you don't" lol.
But we all know that the Z's are bad, it's just the latest and greatest thing that people go over the top about. They see someone like Snorman turning times close to what a Z06 can do and suddenly they all have a really quick Vette, but we know that most can not drive like that.
Yes, the Z's are the great ones, but they were lacking in several areas, interior, straight line traction, two items that have been addressed, and hopefully fixed by use of better materials and tech solutions.
I think what most are referring to is that the new C7 is an over all better car than the C6, as I said in the first paragraph. Track and 1/4 mile performance will be improved as the generation evolves and the new Z06 will best them all, is my bet.
But bashing is what is done best on this forum, and it can get ugly, and since nobody can see you it gets a bit out of control. But up until just a few months ago the C6 was the cream of the crop and as Corvette lovers they should still get a fair amount of respect from all of us.

Last edited by rcooper; 04-20-2014 at 09:27 AM. Reason: grammer error
Old 04-20-2014, 09:33 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I don't think bashing is limited to this forum, but it has a lot of new folks and that may be one reason. As to the C6 vs. a C7, it has to do with people justifying their purchase which isn't a bad thing as long as it doesn't get too extreme. But on an anonymous screen, extremes can occur.

There is no doubt the base C7 is a lot of steps ahead of the C6, even the highest performing C6s. For performance, as you state, the new C7 Z will most likely outperform every stock C6, Z or otherwise. There is some doubt, at least by me, as to the issue of traction and ultimate grip for any car with that kind of horsepower and torque which the Z will have. And I am not trying to start up the discussion of awd again!
Old 04-20-2014, 09:44 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

As a current satisfied owner of a C7, I still get excited when I see a C6 on the road, especially when we wave to one another. Fond memories of my '05 PR Coupe.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:45 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
We all know that with progress things are made to be better and evolve into a more modern and sophisticated product like the C7 has done a good job of.

With that being said why don't people realize that the best performing Corvettes ever built are C6's. The ZR1 and ZO6 to date are the best performing Vettes GM has ever built.

When the C7 fans and owners talk of why the C7 is a "better" car what is it you are referring to comparing against the ZR and ZO6? Is it that you feel the ergonomics are better, the quality of the materials, the tech features, performance or styling?

Until the new ZO6 comes out and dethrones (which I'm sure it will) the two C6 Z cars they are still king of the hill so they deserve better treatment from the so called Corvette brethren.

I can guarantee that most responses will be to argue as opposed to discuss, let's see if this topic can be kept civil. Next year I am either going to buy a ZO6 or an NSX so don't come saying I am bashing the C7 for the ZO6 is a C7.
OK Dan, I'll play along:

My view of the plusses and minuses of the C7 verses C6 (excluding the Z06/ZR1 although much of this applies). This is MY opinion based on owning 2005 and 2008 C6 convertibles and now a C7 convertible

Where the C7 is better than the C6:
1. Chassis rigidity: The C7 is a good deal better here. Roads that I drive on weekly that gave my C6 convertible cowl shake, mirror fuzz, and loose handling, do not effect my C7 convertible in any way.
2. Torque: The torque band in the LT1 is remarkable, I have never owned a car with this much grunt. This is a funny comparison because the LS2/LS3 in the C6 certainly had plenty of torque, but not like this.
3. Interior quality: Materials are better, seats are MUCH better.
4: Steering: Much improved over my C6's although in fairness, my last C6 was a 2008

Where the C6 is better than the C7:
1. Ingress/egress: The C6, with it's much flatter dash, is easier to get in to/out of than the C7. The way the dash curves in to the door panel on the C7 makes entry/exit more difficult, I catch my knee on the point of the C7 dash which does not happen in a C6
2. Interior room: The dash seems to be deeper in the C7 which makes the car seem less roomy.
3. The trunk cubbies: In the C6, you had two little cubbies on either side of the trunk which were quite handy. I didn't realize how much I used them until they were gone.

Tie ball game:
1. Transmission: note all my Corvettes have been manuals. The C7 wins with shorter shift throws (feels like 10 - 20% shorter than a C6). Where the C7 loses is past 4th gear. The gates for 5th/6th/7th seem crammed in there, it takes a very conscious effort to find 6th when downshifting from 7th, the transmission wants to go to 4th. Frankly, the car would have been FINE with a 6 speed manual.

A final note (things that shouldn't be plusses/minuses, IMO):
Tires: The Michelins are 100% better than the old Goodyear runflats. I didn't include this in the +/- because tires are disposable. I will say that anyone with a "normal" C6 (non GS), put a set of these Michelins on your car, I have no doubt your car will be better in every way.
Electronics: Obviously, the C7 is better, as it should be. Considering that much of the C6 electrical architecture goes back to the C5, I don't consider this a big "win" for the C7, on board car electronics evolve so quickly that I'm sure in 4 years, there will be something the C7 won't do that people will complain about.
Looks: This is SO subjective, I think the C7 looks better, but, as they say "Familiarity breeds contempt". I've seen the C6 for SO many years. History will determine which generation is better looking.

Jimmy

PS. I have never trashed the C6, I owned 2 and loved them both. The C7 General discussion forum has, for the last 16 months, been littered with C6 owners trashing the C7, NOT the other way around. My view is that C6 owners started way more of these dust ups and then got pissed off when the C7 contingent struck back. The C7 is a better CAR, as it should be. If every new generation is NOT better than the outgoing, then the Corvette wouldn't have survived 60+ years.

Last edited by jimmyb; 04-20-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:07 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Jimmy I vote for that being your best post ever, thanks for taking the time to detail your response!! You get an A+...

All of your posts are exactly what I was hoping for, some good forum content and first hand knowledge.

Rcooper the one place I will rebuff (in a friendly manner) is that in my book mashing the gas in an automatic with all kinds of electronic assistance is not "driving" a car, especially when comparing it to a manual trans. I wonder what the best manual C7 is pulling, I'll guess near a 1/2 more.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:14 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Jimmy I vote for that being your best post ever, thanks for taking the time to detail your response!! You get an A+...

All of your posts are exactly what I was hoping for, some good forum content and first hand knowledge.

Rcooper the one place I will rebuff (in a friendly manner) is that in my book mashing the gas in an automatic with all kinds of electronic assistance is not "driving" a car, especially when comparing it to a manual trans. I wonder what the best manual C7 is pulling, I'll guess near a 1/2 more.
Since I did so good, how about making my car payments...

One other note: We got my wife a 2014 Malibu when we got the C7, and on the subject of electronics (infotainment), her Malibu does more stuff (weather forecast/restaurants close by/movie times!!!!).

Jimmy
Old 04-20-2014, 10:14 AM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by jimmyb
OK Dan, I'll play along:

My view of the plusses and minuses of the C7 verses C6 (excluding the Z06/ZR1 although much of this applies). This is MY opinion based on owning 2005 and 2008 C6 convertibles and now a C7 convertible

1. Chassis rigidity: The C7 is a good deal better here. Roads that I drive on weekly that gave my C6 convertible cowl shake, mirror fuzz, and loose handling, do not effect my C7 convertible in any way.
2. Torque: The torque band in the LT1 is remarkable, I have never owned a car with this much grunt. This is a funny comparison because the LS2/LS3 in the C6 certainly had plenty of torque, but not like this.
4: Steering: Much improved over my C6's although in fairness, my last C6 was a 2008

1. Ingress/egress: The C6, with it's much flatter dash, is easier to get in to/out of than the C7. The way the dash curves in to the door panel on the C7 makes entry/exit more difficult, I catch my knee on the point of the C7 dash which does not happen in a C6
2. Interior room: The dash seems to be deeper in the C7 which makes the car seem less roomy.
3. The trunk cubbies: In the C6, you had two little cubbies on either side of the trunk which were quite handy. I didn't realize how much I used them until they were gone.

Tie ball game:
1. Transmission: note all my Corvettes have been manuals. The C7 wins with shorter shift throws (feels like 10 - 20% shorter than a C6). Where the C7 loses is past 4th gear. The gates for 5th/6th/7th seem crammed in there, it takes a very conscious effort to find 6th when downshifting from 7th, the transmission wants to go to 4th. Frankly, the car would have been FINE with a 6 speed manual.

Tires: The Michelins are 100% better than the old Goodyear runflats. I didn't include this in the +/- because tires are disposable. I will say that anyone with a "normal" C6 (non GS), put a set of these Michelins on your car, I have no doubt your car will be better in every way.
Electronics: Obviously, the C7 is better, as it should be. Considering that much of the C6 electrical architecture goes back to the C5, I don't consider this a big "win" for the C7, on board car electronics evolve so quickly that I'm sure in 4 years, there will be something the C7 won't do that people will complain about.
Looks: This is SO subjective, I think the C7 looks better, but, as they say "Familiarity breeds contempt". I've seen the C6 for SO many years. History will determine which generation is better looking.

Jimmy

PS. I have never trashed the C6, I owned 2 and loved them both. The C7 General discussion forum has, for the last 16 months, been littered with C6 owners trashing the C7, NOT the other way around. My view is that C6 owners started way more of these dust ups and then got pissed off when the C7 contingent struck back. The C7 is a better CAR, as it should be. If every new generation is NOT better than the outgoing, then the Corvette wouldn't have survived 60+ years.

Excellent, well thought out and fair review! Great job!
Old 04-20-2014, 10:17 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Since I did so good, how about making my car payments...

One other note: We got my wife a 2014 Malibu when we got the C7, and on the subject of electronics (infotainment), her Malibu does more stuff (weather forecast/restaurants close by/movie times!!!!).

Jimmy
How about a beer if we ever meet?

I think the bean counters use focus groups to determine where the equipment will be best served.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:25 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

How about a beer if we ever meet?

I think the bean counters use focus groups to determine where the equipment will be best served.
Actually, I think that the C7 (in terms of infotainment) may be suffering from it's LONG gestation. This car was started a LONG time ago. The difference in the 2 systems (C7 verses Malibu) is NOTABLE, the Malibu graphics are better and it does more stuff.

It's not a big deal as I don't want/need my car to "tie my shoes", just an observation.

Jimmy
Old 04-20-2014, 10:25 AM
Vettefan666
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned a 500RWHP C6Z for seven years and I can honestly tell the only thing it did better than my new C7 Z51 is go faster in a straight line. My new car makes my old car feel kinda junky. C7 handles better too.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:31 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by Vettefan666
I owned a 500RWHP C6Z for seven years and I can honestly tell the only thing it did better than my new C7 Z51 is go faster in a straight line. My new car makes my old car feel kinda junky. C7 handles better too.
Handling begins with chassis rigidity. Go back and compare a C4 to a C5....the C4 feels SO loose. Again, each generation, going forward, SHOULD address the issues that come to be known after the current car has been out for years. The C5, in it's time, had one of the stiffest chassis' available, now, it would be considered average/below average in that department. Time marches on!

Jimmy
Old 04-20-2014, 10:34 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

The C7 is in a completely different league than the C6 ( I am on my 3rd C6, an LPE maggie supercharged GS. My previous two were an 06 A6 LPE maggie coupe and an 08Z). I sat in a 3LT adrenaline red vert at the Chevy dealer a few days ago and anyone, whose budget will allow, who doesn't get one with the 3LT interior, is missing out big time. Sat in a 2LT as well and though it's not bad with the tupperware dash and side panels, it's not the complete package beautiful interior we have all been wanting that the 3LT is. As we know, the rest of the car is a quantum leap forward over the C6. Nothing wrong with the C6, but's it's no C7. That said, I'm happily driving my much faster than a stingray GS, until I make the planned transition to a C7 Z06 A8. Shifting is okay in my 6 spd manual GS, but I'm ready to turn those duties over to a modern A8.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:39 AM
wayles
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OK Dan, I'll play along:

Tie ball game:

Jimmy

Jimmy,
Great post. Very informative and well thought out. These are the kind of posts I look forward to reading here on the forum. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:44 AM
Rocky51
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 56 Posts

I love my C6. It puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. However, the interior has always been the weak spot. It never evoked that feeling of quality that you find in a BMW or Porsche. While I have not yet driven a C7, I have sat in one, and that brief experience was enough to tell me that it has bridged that final gap. It has the look and feel of a truly quality car. The professional reviews and feedback from owners here on the forum back that up. But that does not relegate the C6 to POS status. It is just the next step in the evolution of our favorite sports car. A C7 is on my to-do list for 2015, maybe a Z06 this time.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:49 AM
onthebottom
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

C7 is my first Vette, I will say I never considered a C6 (or late 3-5) because the design looked dated to me. Love the early C3 and 1/2s. Was looking at a 911 (speaking of dated) and muscle cars when the C7 was announced - for me the best of both worlds (design and muscle) the integrated tech and world class interior made it a no brainer.

I'm sure it's because they are a novelty but the attention this car gets from non-corvette owners is amazing - speaks to the design I think.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:49 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

My C7 is superior in every way to my C6. It's higher quality, it's quieter, it's much more refined, the interior can't even be compared, it rides better, the sound system is better, the nav system is better, etc, etc, etc.

It's not all about pure performance at the expense of creature comforts and quality for me, and I suspect that's true of most Vette owners, regardless of the model.

They're both great cars, so why badmouth either one?

Get notified of new replies

To C7 is very nice, so why trash the C6

Old 04-20-2014, 11:07 AM
KayJay
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Happy with my C6 but I am dying to drive a C7 to do my own comparison. Based upon everything I have read, the C7 must be one hell of a car as my C6 still makes me happy! Glad that the majority of owners are very pleased with their C7s, but, I'll need to wait 'til prices come down on the 7 before I seriously consider buying one. Based upon sales figures, though, that may be a while!!!
Old 04-20-2014, 11:14 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

OK Dan, I'll play along:

Tie ball game:

Jimmy

Pretty good, except for a minor correction with the bold part.

If you came from a C6 with a dry sump system (ZR1, Z06, or Grand Sport Manual transmission Coupe) you have the same as you had before, one cubbie. In the C6 the passenger side cubbie held the battery.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:32 AM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Wait, I thought the C6 was "obsolete." Seriously, though, I drove my C4, C6, and C7 around some yesterday. I was only in my C6 (2013 GS Vert) for about 30 minutes, but stopped at a gas station and drove through a restaurant parking lot and every single person that saw my C6 made comments about what an awesome car it was.

Quick Reply: C7 is very nice, so why trash the C6