Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install Catch Can in C7 Info?

Old 06-17-2014, 03:58 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

I have mounted a elite good can and had the clean side sep as well but returned it as it's a base car. Steve refunded me no questions asked.

I drive all city and am catching oil, and as an enthusiast I like that. But I think the above comments from the criswell contact make a lot of sense. I think the only thing is bad is some vendors (NOT ELITE) that scare newbies into thinking they absolutely have to have one before they drive their first mile. Like the guy who won't drive until he gets XPEL....GM is not stupid, I don't think they left a can off by mistake.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:59 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 218 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by StingRaycer
Thank you OBI WAN - These are not the cans I am looking for.
I got a kick out of that.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:01 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Glen e
GM is not stupid, I don't think they left a can off by mistake.
Let's not forget, again, that it's not legal for a manufacturer to install a catch can on a vehicle made for use in the United States.

It violates EPA regulations due to the unknown 'oil disposal' factor.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:36 PM
v8capt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smajicek
Has anyone checked if this installation of a catch can will void the GM warranty?
I called GM and they confirmed that it wouldn't void my warrantee. After about 300 miles of fairly easy driving I had about one ounce in the can. That would end up in the intake if not trapped in the can. I really think GM should recall and install catch cans, it will save the engine from some major problems. I have a base car.
Capt Bob
Old 06-28-2014, 08:35 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by v8capt
I called GM and they confirmed that it wouldn't void my warrantee. After about 300 miles of fairly easy driving I had about one ounce in the can. That would end up in the intake if not trapped in the can. I really think GM should recall and install catch cans, it will save the engine from some major problems. I have a base car.
Capt Bob
When you say you "called GM", make it a habit to get these sorts of things in writing. There's no telling who you spoke with, and there's no verbal enforcement of what they told you.

Bottom line, unless you have it in writing, you're (possibly) SOL when something happens regardless of what you were told about any modification. Many of us will attest to that here, and all the lawyers will jump in and agree.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:23 AM
v8capt
Racer

Originally Posted by Theta
When you say you "called GM", make it a habit to get these sorts of things in writing. There's no telling who you spoke with, and there's no verbal enforcement of what they told you.

Bottom line, unless you have it in writing, you're (possibly) SOL when something happens regardless of what you were told about any modification. Many of us will attest to that here, and all the lawyers will jump in and agree.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  37.1 KB
Base car 300 miles
Old 06-29-2014, 09:30 AM
v8capt
Racer

Attachment 47808149
Base car 300 miles
I'm sure Kelly would step in and let us know if the catch can should not be installed. The oil in the catch can will end up in your intake and coat your valves with unwanted oil. With Direct injection the valves will be coated with oil and not washed off with gas passing through. All comments welcome.

Kelly, would you please respond to this post and let us know if installing a catch can is ok.
Thanks

Last edited by v8capt; 06-29-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:03 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Kelly won't tell you a damn thing here, she does not make policy for chev - nor would he put it in a PM or post here...surprised so many people don't understand what she does....

and she's a good friend...Hi Kel.....call your dealer he's the one that will make the decision to interpret Chev warranty policies...prob some will, and some wont...
Old 06-29-2014, 11:43 AM
chevyman426
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Theta
Let's not forget, again, that it's not legal for a manufacturer to install a catch can on a vehicle made for use in the United States.

It violates EPA regulations due to the unknown 'oil disposal' factor.
??? Dont the camaro ss 1le have one on it from factory it a gm ls3?
Old 06-29-2014, 11:47 AM
chevyman426
Instructor

I'm sure Kelly would step in and let us know if the catch can should not be installed. The oil in the catch can will end up in your intake and coat your valves with unwanted oil. With Direct injection the valves will be coated with oil and not washed off with gas passing through. All comments welcome.

Kelly, would you please respond to this post and let us know if installing a catch can is ok.
Thanks
I also installed an elite on base C7 i noticed bout same amount of ingestion after several hundred miles post installation.

Get one you be happy in long run if you plan on keeping car for years. Now if you are one of these people who trade in every year then thats a different story.

Last edited by chevyman426; 06-29-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:04 PM
v8capt
Racer

Originally Posted by Glen e
Kelly won't tell you a damn thing here, she does not make policy for chev - nor would he put it in a PM or post here...surprised so many people don't understand what she does....

and she's a good friend...Hi Kel.....call your dealer he's the one that will make the decision to interpret Chev warranty policies...prob some will, and some wont...
A lot of C7 owners have modified there cars, air intake, exhaust systems and many other mods. Putting in something that will help shouldn't be an issue
Old 06-29-2014, 02:56 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Attachment 47808149
Base car 300 miles
Were you trying to 'educate me'? I guess I should start posting my signature in all my posts...

I have over a grand invested in the LMR PCV delete with a bunch of upgrades (lines, hoses, etc), so I know the need for a catch can, especially having a blower, etc. As of next week, I'll also have about $25k into mods, so I don't have any illusion of warranty left...

My point still stands. I know it's needed, and I've tried to tell people in this thread why they're not installed (regulations)... I'm trying to tell you (and others) that no matter what you're told, always have something in writing. You will save a lot of time and headache.

I'm always reminded why I shouldn't venture out into General to help people... This is why I stay in my cage in Tech.

Last edited by Theta; 06-29-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:07 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by chevyman426
??? Dont the camaro ss 1le have one on it from factory it a gm ls3?
Yes and no - it was available in the package, but was only for track use...

That's just the loophole we all exploit with all of our mods anyway. Point being, it's not legal to have that on a street car. Notice the warnings to the customer and the designation for track use only...

I'm not sure it would hold up in court, but they're trying to skirt the EPA regulations by saying 'track only' just like we have on catless and LT headers, and a majority of our mods...

Reference here: http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=1145
Old 08-30-2014, 05:49 PM
SFZX
Advanced

Hey guys, I'm new here and this is first post. Just got my base non-Z51 last week. I'm interested in this catch can, but after all the reading still not sure how the clean side separator helps a wet sump engine with no separate oil tank. Where would it be installed. Am I missing something here? Also if GM saw fit to install a check valve in the dirty side why are we ok with removing it and not replacing it. Sure could use some help understanding the situation.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:52 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

A non z51 does not use (actually need) the clean side separator.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Install Catch Can in C7 Info?