Install Catch Can in C7 Info?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 09:39 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Originally Posted by thedofuss
as someone who knows nothing, am i to infer from the above that all C7s should have this installed, and none of them come with this?
Same issues exist with Ferrari, Porsche, BMW and others with Direct Injection (other cars as well but not as critical since gasoline with port injection helps clean the coking caused by blow-by coming from PCV system etc, creates.) In Europe many oil companies do sell truly “full synthetic” oil which is a help. In the US with the recent lawsuit, which Mobil lost, the marketing words “full synthetic” fits some blends as well-who knows what Mobil 1 is currently!
Catch cans work if you’re willing to check and clean periodically (every ~1000 miles etc.). Most car owners would not want to, care to or want to know how! It’s just that extra help some of us care to install.

Last edited by JerryU; 04-26-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:52 AM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

as someone who knows nothing, am i to infer from the above that all C7s should have this installed, and none of them come with this?
It's not a necessity but just an extra precaution, especially on Z51 cars if you overfill the oil. It helps collect any vapor with oil and collects it in the can.

It's more critical on boosted cars but an extra safeguard on all cars.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:58 PM
thedofuss
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JerryU
Same issues exist with Ferrari, Porsche, BMW and others with Direct Injection (other cars as well but not as critical since gasoline with port injection helps clean the coking caused by blow-by coming from PCV system etc, creates.) In Europe many oil companies do sell truly “full synthetic” oil which is a help. In the US with the recent lawsuit, which Mobil lost, the marketing words “full synthetic” fits some blends as well-who knows what Mobil 1 is currently!
Catch cans work if you’re willing to check and clean periodically (every ~1000 miles etc.). Most car owners would not want to, care to or want to know how! It’s just that extra help some of us care to install.
Jerry, thanks much. it sounds to me, though, that given the size of the can (reservoir), and how much mileage most of us put on our cars, that we could just install it, never empty it, and still not have it overflow. is that not the case?
Old 04-26-2014, 07:08 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Jerry, thanks much. it sounds to me, though, that given the size of the can (reservoir), and how much mileage most of us put on our cars, that we could just install it, never empty it, and still not have it overflow. is that not the case?
I can't speak to that yet, as I am just in the process of getting and installing. My understanding is it would require more frequent maintenance than say an oil change. It will depend on the way you drive as well.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:09 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

I'll be checking mine tomorrow - I have around 300 miles on the catch can
Old 04-26-2014, 07:59 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

For non boosted cars checking it every oil change would be more than enough.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:59 PM
time2run
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by KenHorse
I'll be checking mine tomorrow - I have around 300 miles on the catch can
Ken- if you can, check the upper part of the canister. I think there is a stainless steel mesh that is in a smaller canister that can be unscrewed to clean the mesh. Seems to me the mesh would have to be cleaned periodically for maximum effectiveness.

I'll check mine tomorrow as well.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:57 AM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Motohead279
Here it is.
Sweet, thanks. I just ordered mine with the oil filler cap. >$300 for the piece of mind is worth it to me. Thanks guys!
Old 04-27-2014, 12:36 PM
Premmer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the Elite can a few weeks ago. Super easy to do and took less than 30 minutes, start to finish.

To remove the existing "jumper" hose, simply compress the tab on each end (they're fittings there, not heat shrink) with a pair of pliers and they pop right off
A couple more questions about your catch can install:
Did you disconnect the battery before removing the ground cable tie-down bolt for mounting the can support bracket?
How did you go about removing the covers to gain access to the connection ports?

Thanks
Old 04-27-2014, 01:40 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Premmer
A couple more questions about your catch can install:
Did you disconnect the battery before removing the ground cable tie-down bolt for mounting the can support bracket?
How did you go about removing the covers to gain access to the connection ports?

Thanks
Didn't disconnect the battery, nope (no sparking noted either)
The fuel rail covers pop right off. Once they're off, you can remove 4 10 mm bolts that hold down the plenum cover. There's no need to actually remove it as all you need do is lift it out of the way to get to the nipples you need
Old 04-27-2014, 01:45 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by time2run
Ken- if you can, check the upper part of the canister. I think there is a stainless steel mesh that is in a smaller canister that can be unscrewed to clean the mesh. Seems to me the mesh would have to be cleaned periodically for maximum effectiveness.

I'll check mine tomorrow as well.
Well.. I removed the bottom of the catch can and had very little oil in it. I'd guesstimate a couple of teaspoon's worth.

I didn't remove the mesh because I think the can has to be unmounted to get at it.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:22 PM
Premmer
Instructor

Didn't disconnect the battery, nope (no sparking noted either)
The fuel rail covers pop right off. Once they're off, you can remove 4 10 mm bolts that hold down the plenum cover. There's no need to actually remove it as all you need do is lift it out of the way to get to the nipples you need
Last question for sure; did you order your CC with the single check valve feature ? If so, did you not use the OEM check valve in the U Tube Assembly?

Just to be on the safe side, plan to remove anodizing on catch can support bracket in areas that contact lower mounting surface and mounting bolt flange; that ground cable size looks like it sinks a fair amount of current.

Last edited by Premmer; 04-27-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:29 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

I have probably 1500 miles on my car which is boosted. I drained mine today and this is what I collected.
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2014, 03:03 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Last question for sure; did you order your CC with the single check valve feature ? If so, did you not use the OEM check valve in the U Tube Assembly?

Just to be on the safe side, plan to remove anodizing on catch can support bracket in areas that contact lower mounting surface and mounting bolt flange; that ground cable size looks like it sinks a fair amount of current.
I wasn't aware there was an option for the check valve type. I ordered whichever comes for the $159 price

As for the mounting/grounding, a star washer will take care of that...
Old 04-27-2014, 05:25 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

I wasn't aware there was an option for the check valve type. I ordered whichever comes for the $159 price

As for the mounting/grounding, a star washer will take care of that...
My Elite is coming with just an inlet and outlet as you used with the lines going to and from the can replacing the short OEM line. Looking at the Rx install with two outlets, it looks like for the 2nd outlet you would use a check valve. The reservoir cap I also ordered goes from the cap to baffles in the front of the air box replacing the OEM line, so also assume no benefit of a check valve there.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:42 PM
Premmer
Instructor

Originally Posted by JerryU
My Elite is coming with just an inlet and outlet as you used with the lines going to and from the can replacing the short OEM line. Looking at the Rx install with two outlets, it looks like for the 2nd outlet you would use a check valve. The reservoir cap I also ordered goes from the cap to baffles in the front of the air box replacing the OEM line, so also assume no benefit of a check valve there.
Elite offers an optional elbow hose fitting with a built-in check valve for ~$25. I prefer to use it rather than the OEM one in the removed U Tube Assembly. Read enough about sticking PCV valves on C7s that its worth the additional cost to me.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:24 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Elite offers an optional elbow hose fitting with a built-in check valve for ~$25. I prefer to use it rather than the OEM one in the removed U Tube Assembly. Read enough about sticking PCV valves on C7s that its worth the additional cost to me.
Was unaware of any issues with the C7 PCV valve. Will have to consider.

Get notified of new replies

To Install Catch Can in C7 Info?

Old 04-27-2014, 06:32 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

OK... some educate me on this

If you install the Elite catch can without the OEM hose and check valve (which is no longer used) is this a bad thing? What does the check valve really do? Can you simply buy Elite's version and use that?

I was about to install my can and now I'm waiting until someone who knows more than me can clarify.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:11 PM
Premmer
Instructor

Originally Posted by gthal
OK... some educate me on this

If you install the Elite catch can without the OEM hose and check valve (which is no longer used) is this a bad thing? What does the check valve really do? Can you simply buy Elite's version and use that?

I was about to install my can and now I'm waiting until someone who knows more than me can clarify.
You might want to Google it and make your own decision as to whether it's important to you on a NA engine. I'm not ready to just blow off the use of a check valve on my NA setup.

Last edited by Premmer; 04-27-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:57 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

You might want to Google it and make your own decision as to whether it's important to you on a NA engine. I'm not ready to just blow off the use of a check valve on my NA setup.
I apologize, my question wasn't clear... well, let's say I did a horrible job of wording it.

What I meant to say was whether the check valve is needed on the C7. Elite Engineering doesn't seem to make a big deal of it relative to their catch cans so I'm more wondering whether it is a big deal on this car. I'm going to connect with them and get their thoughts.

Also, last night I checked my intake for any signs of oil and it was bone dry and completely clean. 1,500 miles on the car.

I still plan to use the catch can once I can clarify the check valve issue.

Quick Reply: Install Catch Can in C7 Info?