C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally! I did a side-by-side comparison of 2LT / 3LT black interiors

Old 04-26-2014, 04:02 AM
RKInIL
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure however obvious only when you have them side by side and the average Joe off the street would NEVER know the difference if you could not see them both at the same time.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:40 AM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

It's so worth it. Now when I think of the other Corvettes I've purchased new and could have dressed them up with 3LT but didn't I think of how I've failed them.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:19 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Good post, Mike. Say, one thing that I didn't see resolved way earlier in the '14 model year was the discussion re "Mulan" leather being, or not being actually a form of bonded leather. Anyone know if that is correct: Mulan leather is a form of bonded leather?

Otherwise, I like both the 2LT and 3LT interiors and either one would work for me.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:16 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

For those who didn't catch the photos I just added to post # 1...

I'm adding a few pics that I took today.

2LT - notice the rough texture and grain.
Name:  2LT-1.jpg
Views: 1635
Size:  84.1 KB

Name:  2LT-2.jpg
Views: 1641
Size:  58.8 KB

3LT - this is the genuine leather. The finish is very smooth and almost completely without grain.
Name:  3LT-2.jpg
Views: 1619
Size:  51.7 KB

Name:  3LT-1.jpg
Views: 1620
Size:  46.8 KB
Old 04-26-2014, 07:47 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
For those who didn't catch the photos I just added to post # 1...

I'm adding a few pics that I took today.

2LT - notice the rough texture and grain.

3LT - this is the genuine leather. The finish is very smooth and almost completely without grain.

The textured plastic looks just like what it is along side the leather. It's like riding in coach.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:55 AM
savage
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 89 Posts
Default most feel this way

Originally Posted by Black-Ray14
I love the way adrenaline red looks in 3LT.
i was at a scca auto x a few weeks ago, white/red 3lt vert, i had the top down both days(all day) the non-corvette people there( 99% of people there) and everyone else that walked out of the woods to see a c7 just stood there looking at the inside of car. everyone! said WOW! look at the inside of this car! it was like they were looking at a spaceship. truth be told, im a white/red guy and as much as i wanted a z51 i drove past a green/brown z51 and a black/black z51 to get my non-z51 white/red 3lt.==ps. red on the dash/nav is worth $4 grand to me.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:18 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,243 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by musclecar6
The textured plastic looks just like what it is along side the leather. It's like riding in coach.
I wonder which one will wear better and look best five years from now. I was reading on another car forum about leatherette seats and a lot of guys were saying they wore better and looked better after a few years of use than real leather. I think both look really nice and dont think the average Joe could tell the difference if not side by side.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:08 AM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

mpuzach, thanks very much for posting this. Thank goodness you posted some good close-ups so the differences can actually be seen.

To date, all the so-called comparisons are far-away shots that simply showing 2 black interiors in which it's difficult to see any differences. Mostly that seems to be done to imply that getting the 3LT is not necessary, or maybe even a waste.

But as it is plain to see in your excellent photos, the 3LT interior is vastly superior. For people who like luxury cars with excellent interiors, they will instantly see and feel the difference and appreciate the upgraded interior.

The great thing about the 3LT interior is that it is completely wrapped. You get the fine leather all the way to the glass. I know there are people who like the red 3LT interior, but for me I much prefer the all-black, and I just love the fact that everything you touch is that fine black leather.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:42 AM
ivanjo11
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Hey, could you comment on the stitching? Is it silver on both trims?

The 2LT is VINYL, not leather . And it's vinyl everywhere, except the seat inserts. I was expecting the door and center console arm rests to be leather, but only on the 3LT are. Having said that, the vinyl wrap with contrast stitching looks a million times better than the acres of hard plastic on C6 Vettes. Most other cars are just plastic, so kudos to GM for using vinyl wrap rather than just plastic.

Finally, it really pisses me off GM charges 3 grand for the leather 'wrap', when Porsche charges $2,400, and that includes the entire dash (upper and lower), plus the entire center console area. In my case, I really want the Alcantara headliner, so that's an incentive to spring for the 3LT. But as noted, with so little difference, it's going to lose even more value than it did on the C6. I had to sell my 4LT GS as a 3LT. Oh well. Have a good one folks.
The upper dash is either Vinyl or leather but what material is used in the lower part of the dash regular soft plastic?

Is there stitching also in the glovebox comparment door?
Old 04-27-2014, 10:44 AM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
I wonder which one will wear better and look best five years from now. I was reading on another car forum about leatherette seats and a lot of guys were saying they wore better and looked better after a few years of use than real leather. I think both look really nice and dont think the average Joe could tell the difference if not side by side.
The average Joe can tell the difference, it's not rocket science. If you did a side by comparison it is clearly visible that the Napa leather is not only smoother but also much softer to the touch.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:50 AM
Patriot77
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

To me its like "potato" or "powtoto". Have you ever heard the term "picking fly s__t out of pepper"??? I have learned over the decades that you can spend a ton of money on lots of "foolish stuff" that when you go to sell it the next man doesn't give a da__ about and he isn't going to pay you for it either. Believe me I have sold dozens of cars over my lifetime including 4 on EBAY and nobody cares about the "fine leather" that you spent an extra ton of money on.
The following users liked this post:
Scruff Vette (08-09-2016)
Old 04-27-2014, 10:55 AM
Car#30
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I have to agree with Patriot77. Right now I'm trying to sell my '08 with 4LT and it may as well be a 1LT from the offers I'm getting. So much for that $8005 option.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:57 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Patriot77
To me its like "potato" or "powtoto". Have you ever heard the term "picking fly s__t out of pepper"??? I have learned over the decades that you can spend a ton of money on lots of "foolish stuff" that when you go to sell it the next man doesn't give a da__ about and he isn't going to pay you for it either. Believe me I have sold dozens of cars over my lifetime including 4 on EBAY and nobody cares about the "fine leather" that you spent an extra ton of money on.
Then there are those folks (like myself) who don't give a damn about what the next owner will like or be willing to pay extra for; we buy what we like.
docrings1 (10-05-2019)
Old 04-27-2014, 11:05 AM
Car#30
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

You're right. I certainly didn't buy the 4LT with even a thought of the next guy or how much it would be worth later. I'm just agreeing that upon re-sale it doesn't much matter.
docrings1 (10-05-2019)
Old 04-27-2014, 01:33 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

After all, unless one is buying the car to park, or re-sell immediately, you HAVE to sit in, look at, and feel what you are buying. And that's got to be worth something every time you use it. To the next owner, or when you're selling it, it may be discounted 10%, 50% or 100%---but for the time you sat in it, or had to "live with it," it was worth something. Like the car itself, it just depreciated, a little, a lot, or completely.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:42 PM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
This is a good question. Anybody with some insight?
Old 04-27-2014, 01:51 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

In the mid eighties when I was with Porsche NA, we decided to offer on option on 911 and above of all leather including dash top. We reversed the decision a few years later when the UV of the southern states caused the dash tops to rip and roll up like a window shade after a year or two of heavy UV. Warranty killed us and the replacement did not match perfectly, as it was new.

I'm more than comfortable with vinyl/ nice plastic on my 2LT dash top....if you have a 3LT, I'd keep a monthly treatment of a UV blocker like 303 on it...
GRKLGHTNG (07-19-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Finally! I did a side-by-side comparison of 2LT / 3LT black interiors

Old 04-27-2014, 02:03 PM
RKInIL
Racer

Originally Posted by rudolph schenker
This is a good question. Anybody with some insight?
Bonded leather is more durable because of the vinyl coating. Go to You tube and put in bonded vs full hide leather there is a great video there somewhere.

Last edited by RKInIL; 04-27-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:15 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

Yes, all leather these days is plasticized but not 100% protection against fade by southwest sun uv exposure.

http://303products.com/index.php/pro...motive-leather

Last edited by Glen e; 04-27-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:16 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

If money were no object about 85% -90% would probably choose 2LT over 3LT. The 10% -15% being those that don't like the extra color. This is based on reading several threads on the topic.

Since money is a factor for the majority, we all have our own personal value we place on the 3LT. Then we decide whether it is worth the extra money.

Those that chose 3LT see the value in spending the extra $3795, or money is no object, and they probably need NAV too.

Those that chose 2LT, like myself, don't see the value and/or simply don't absolutely "need" what the 3LT offers, even though it looks nice, and don't need NAV.

If money were no object I'd have the 3LT, as I "want" it but don't need it. There are several other places having nothing to do with my Corvette, where I'd rather spend $3795

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 04-27-2014 at 03:19 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally! I did a side-by-side comparison of 2LT / 3LT black interiors