Chrome Strip Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 10:51 AM
OddJob1971
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St Jude Donor '14
Default Chrome Strip Removal

Anyone figured out how to remove it to paint it? I tried plasti-dip on it but the dang tape caught the end and pulled it up. Just want to remove it and have it painted but haven't tried getting it off yet.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:57 AM
Diver Down
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OddJob1971
Anyone figured out how to remove it to paint it? I tried plasti-dip on it but the dang tape caught the end and pulled it up. Just want to remove it and have it painted but haven't tried getting it off yet.
It's my understanding that when you plastidip it you need to tape away from the chrome edge or it will peel up. Maybe leave a half inch all around and then just peel the access away. Saw a video of it being done and the plastidip peels cleanly away at edges.

It would be nice to hear from those that did it successfully.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:08 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

I pulled mine off and painted it with body color and clear...the strip is two pieces with 4 or 5 tabs per piece...you need to lube them down with wd40 and get a small plastic trim tool behind each one and release it...that being said, one or two will probably break...to some that's blasphemy, I could care less, dremel the tab into a spade and reinsert it in the slot with some silicone, it'll stay forever...
Old 04-29-2014, 11:12 AM
droideka
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OddJob1971
there are several alternating tabs on the back side that you will need to either pull down or push up on to release. i was able to get loose all save for the last one (outside corner) that i had to break off in order to fully remove. i rattle-canned mine black and have it back on, but the corners are now held on with double-sided tape until my replacements arrive.

yes, i ended up purchasing a complete replacement set that i will have pro-painted and cleared. the pair will set you back ~$240.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:23 AM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,013 Likes on 365 Posts

I think the chrome is acceptable. It breaks up the wide mouth look.

I can see how some owners think it looks like a dental retainer.

Changing it to body color looks at first glance good but time will tell. Quality of execution of any change is key here.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:34 AM
BarneyZ
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

For about $.09 and five minutes you can very carefully trim a strip of electrical tape to cover it. Repeat as necessary. Pull it off when bling comes back!
Old 04-29-2014, 11:51 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by BarneyZ
For about $.09 and five minutes you can very carefully trim a strip of electrical tape to cover it. Repeat as necessary. Pull it off when bling comes back!
this makes more sense than you know. I like to paint, so it came off, but you don't have to take it off at all. Elec tape and a razor blade works perfect, vettefx.com will sell you all sorts of vinyl that goes on in 15 min or you can plastidip it.

the truth is once it goes black, nobody looks there anymore, so it does not have to be perfect -(unless you are OCD)

Last edited by Glen e; 04-29-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:52 AM
gregb1812
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the $.09 version (black electrical tape). Seems to be working fine but time will tell. Worst case, the tape begins to look like crap and I peel it off. No harm done.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:18 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by RussM05
I think the chrome is acceptable. It breaks up the wide mouth look.

I can see how some owners think it looks like a dental retainer.

Changing it to body color looks at first glance good but time will tell. Quality of execution of any change is key here.
At first didn't like the chrome look, however after seeing it in person changed my mind. The grill looks good too. I decided to go stock and leave well enough alone.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:40 PM
snappy2u
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
At first didn't like the chrome look, however after seeing it in person changed my mind. The grill looks good too. I decided to go stock and leave well enough alone.

That Strip is an omage to the chrome bumpers of the original "Stingrays"
Old 04-29-2014, 07:01 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I thought about trying the black tape approach just for fun. It is not a commitment and easily reversed. Only possible problem, it may not stick since I applied Rejex last weekend.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:05 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

So alcohol it.....everyone should own 100 alcohol packs for $6 at the drug store if you mod.....
Old 04-29-2014, 08:46 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

If those Z06 grilles are in fact the same dimensions, I predict that GM is going to be flooded with orders for replacement Z06 grilles when the car is released .
Old 04-29-2014, 09:16 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,837 Likes on 660 Posts

I went this route. Only $20 shipped, easily reversible and a lot better looking than electrical tape.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-v...post1585777861
Old 04-29-2014, 10:00 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 502 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue
If those Z06 grilles are in fact the same dimensions, I predict that GM is going to be flooded with orders for replacement Z06 grilles when the car is released .
There is a company on Ebay actually selling what it calls 2014 Z06 Grills for about 3 bills. I shot them a message asking how they could sell a part off a car that is not yet for sale I will let the forum know the response....btw...no returns
Old 04-29-2014, 10:00 PM
WackyBob
Pro

Received 341 Likes on 115 Posts

I plastidipped mine this past weekend. I also plastidipped the side stingrays. I had never done plastidip before. I watched a few videos on YouTube and bought a can for $6 @ Home Depot.

Be sure to mask off about 1/2" around the grill strip and 1" around the stingrays to leave yourself room to easily pull off the excess. I used the scotch blue painters tape and made sure to mask off out about 18" for overspray. Also peel when still not completely dry after 5th coat.

Pics attached

Last edited by WackyBob; 04-29-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:00 AM
Diver Down
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WackyBob
I plastidipped mine this past weekend. I also plastidipped the side stingrays. I had never done plastidip before. I watched a few videos on YouTube and bought a can for $6 @ Home Depot.

Be sure to mask off about 1/2" around the grill strip and 1" around the stingrays to leave yourself room to easily pull off the excess. I used the scotch blue painters tape and made sure to mask off out about 18" for overspray. Also peel when still not completely dry after 5th coat.

Pics attached

How long did it take you to do just the grill? So did you do one peel on the 5th coat and not in between? I need to know how much time to allocate as I'd like to do this project this weekend. I bought 2 Black Stingray emblems from RPI and will likely add those as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Chrome Strip Removal

Old 04-30-2014, 11:09 AM
WackyBob
Pro

Received 341 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Diver Down
How long did it take you to do just the grill? So did you do one peel on the 5th coat and not in between? I need to know how much time to allocate as I'd like to do this project this weekend. I bought 2 Black Stingray emblems from RPI and will likely add those as well.
No peel in between. Only peel off the excess after 5 light coats. Wait about 15 minutes between coats. It was about 70 degrees when I did mine. If it's colder wait a bit longer between coats. If its warmer wait about 10 minutes between coats. The key is to make sure you leave a good edge of overspray so you have something to grab onto when you peel. And peel it before it's completely dry so it peels off easily. I also cleaned all the areas very well with rubbing alcohol prior to painting. As with any paint work the hardest part is the prep. Masking took me about 20 minutes. Then factor in the time between coats. The peeling and final clean up took about 10 minutes.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:22 AM
Diver Down
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WackyBob
No peel in between. Only peel off the excess after 5 light coats. Wait about 15 minutes between coats. It was about 70 degrees when I did mine. If it's colder wait a bit longer between coats. If its warmer wait about 10 minutes between coats. The key is to make sure you leave a good edge of overspray so you have something to grab onto when you peel. And peel it before it's completely dry so it peels off easily. I also cleaned all the areas very well with rubbing alcohol prior to painting. As with any paint work the hardest part is the prep. Masking took me about 20 minutes. Then factor in the time between coats. The peeling and final clean up took about 10 minutes.

That's great info. Thank you.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:03 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Find the logo/ badge video for plastidip at dipyourcar.com

It's not like regular painting, it's easier!

Quick Reply: Chrome Strip Removal