Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preparing the car to paint the calipers

Old 05-02-2014, 06:04 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,557 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Default Preparing the car to paint the calipers

Okay, one of the first things on my "to do" list when my AW vert gets here is to paint the calipers red (I took the car off the showroom floor and it did not come with painted calipers). I have purchased two complete caliper paint kits (so I don't run out of material), and even purchased better quality brushes then what comes with the kit as I am known to be a bit of a perfectionist.

My choices are:

I can do one side at a time by jacking up one side of the car with two floor jacks (using jacking pucks of course) and let the jacks keep the side of the car elevated while i paint, or I could place four jack stands under the car to have the whole car up off the wheels at one time. If I do use jack stands, where is the best placement? On previous cars I have always gone under the rear axle and under the lower control arms in the front. Is that okay with the C7? Are there better places to put the jack stands so I don't have to crawl way under the car?

Any thoughts are appreciated...
Old 05-02-2014, 06:16 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would raise the front or the rear instead of left or right. That way you can raise the car using the jacking pucks on either side then place the jack stands on the inner frame rails identified as jack points in the manual. Without a real lift getting the entire car off the ground and on jack stands could be problematic unless you have a low profile jack you can place under the inner jack point and set the car down on jack stands at the corner "puck" locations.

Pages 10-4 and 10-5 show the jack points.

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-05-02 at 6.19.42 PM.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  93.2 KB

Last edited by mjw930; 05-02-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:30 AM
netacoma2003
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I painted mine one side at a time but instead of the using the paint "kits" I taped everything off (e.g. lines, exposed pad, fender well, rotor, etc), sprayed the calipers, and then hand painted the "Corvette" on my front calipers.

Make sure you find the jacking points under your vehicle.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:59 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 905 Likes on 472 Posts
Tech Contributor

don't be surprised if you still show brish marks - I've painted 4 sets - 3 sets looked good brushed on with the ceramic type paints, one failed miserably for no reason, then I did as above and sprayed it with duplicolor for great results...the real key is squeeky clean prep, don't spare the acetone and alcohol getting the surface silicone and oil free....

Get notified of new replies

To Preparing the car to paint the calipers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Preparing the car to paint the calipers