Sponsored by:

The power of this forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 03:31 PM
Dan12
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The power of this forum.

Don’t underestimate the power of a car forum. The best example I have was when BMW introduced the their new 330 E46 3 series available with the “M” package. I ordered one, great car but the steering was lightened up considerably. No “M3” that year so this was the best 3 you were going to get. Problem was they wanted to match Lexus and others and make the car easier to “park”. Tight heavier steering was part of the Ultimate Driving Machine but now it was nicknamed the Ultimate Parking Machine. I guess some marketing feedback suggested lighter steering, big mistake.

The E46 forum was lit up by it. Typical posts but 9 out of 10 were complaining. It went on for 3 months until BMW offered (Free) an upgraded steering rack retrofit that was being developed for the new M3. The entire M3 steering rack would be delivered to your dealer and installed. I went for it. What a difference and the steering felt planted to the road. I still have the car.

It was optional for the customers who complained but I was shocked they went that far.

So don’t think your feedback wont make a difference, GM wants to sell more cars and they have to be listening. I’ve seen some concerns that are raised here and are usually minimized or ridiculed my members?

The C7 is a great car, let’s help GM improve it.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:38 PM
dbdave
Le Mans Master

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

I hope it works the same here for the crooked HUD, the not-so-heated seats, the hatch latching, the seat memory confusion, and the infotainment improvement opportunities.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:41 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

It could happen that way. With or without the forum, most engineers get feedback eventually, and figure out some things that aren't working well on their own. Then, they make the corrections. Sometimes, it's mid-model year, sometimes it's with the next year's model. That doesn't discount your premise that the Forum is a method, and a good one, to get info across to the engineers and designers.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:25 PM
gregb1812
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dbdave
I hope it works the same here for the crooked HUD, the not-so-heated seats, the hatch latching, the seat memory confusion, and the infotainment improvement opportunities.
+1 to all of these!
Old 05-07-2014, 04:27 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Gee...my HUD looks level.....
Old 05-07-2014, 04:39 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Many people think the HUD is not level but it is an illusion caused by the shape of the hood. If you line up perfectly perpendicular to something that has horizontal lines (like a brick wall), you will see that the HUD is not crooked (assuming the brick lines are level and the car is sitting level).
Old 05-07-2014, 05:09 PM
dbdave
Le Mans Master

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Many people think the HUD is not level but it is an illusion caused by the shape of the hood. If you line up perfectly perpendicular to something that has horizontal lines (like a brick wall), you will see that the HUD is not crooked (assuming the brick lines are level and the car is sitting level).
Not so with mine. Should be at least close to level with the road and it is not.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:13 PM
HDBADDOG55
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 73 Posts

Come on Dave...My HUD is level, my seats heat just fine, have NO trouble with either my seat memory settings, or with my informat system. For $65,000.00 the new C7 looks better than the $450,000.00 Ferrari F2, and, it beat the pants off the Ferrari at Laguna Secca on ALL counts. Let's give GM the credit they so richly deserve for the design, engineering, and performance the new C7 represents.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:14 PM
Gr8ful
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Strength in numbers.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:19 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

It's also the launch year. They'll iron out most of these things by MY2016. But yes, your feedback helps.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:49 PM
Patriot77
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Well if "GM IS INDEED LISTENING". Then GM listen to this: Get rid of that ugly silver bar in the front grille. Thats one thing. Also offer black fish as an option. Thats two. Also offer bright red full length racing stripes as well as the dark red crystal metallic ones. Thats three. And four: offer a similar ZO6 rear spoiler as an "option" on the C7. And please oh please continue to offer the Black Z51-5 spoke wheels. They are so darn cool. One last thing: Please offer the color of "Plum Crazy" as its really cool too. Thank You. Where and when can I place my order???
Old 05-07-2014, 05:56 PM
Patriot77
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh as long as Iam dreaming there is just one more thing. Why don't you do like BMW did for my "X-5 50I". Which is for $1,795.00 offer a special software package that gets another 40 horsepower. My 2013 BMW X-5, 50I has damn near as much horsepower as the C7. I have 440 horsepower with the extra factory package that I purchased. I still managed to keep the vehichle at $70,000.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:05 PM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

Received 400 Likes on 241 Posts

If GM really makes decisions based on comments posted on this forum, then why don't they improve the allocation system, and why don't they fill SOLD orders first? Why do all the cars going to Europe have the Z51 package as standard. Why dose GM make us wait and wait for a Z51 car? I think we the United States of America support GM, not Europe. When will they learn, the Europeans will never admit to what a great car the Corvette is. They are mostly snobs and don't like America in the first place.
I've waited for almost six months for my car because of the allocation system. After talking to numerous people at GM who agree that it's an unfair system and needs to be fixed, but they can't help. I've been on the phone for hours on end, but when it's gets to the nitty gritty, not one single person has the answer or the power to go higher in the chain of command to get things done. The iron curtain still exist, it's between GM and us. The fine people that we are allowed to talk to only have very limited access to the powers that be. GM dictates to their dealerships how they want them to run that dealership and makes them remodel their buildings at the dealers cost and pay the cost of training their mechanics for the privilege of selling Chevy's. The dealership has lost customers because GM won't fill SOLD Corvette orders. It's hurts their reputation if they can't deliver the car you want.
Anyway, if GM is in deed reading these post, well then step up and take care of your loyal customers.

Last edited by blackmagicZ; 05-07-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:35 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by blackmagicZ
If GM really makes decisions based on comments posted on this forum, then why don't they improve the allocation system, and why don't they fill SOLD orders first? Why do all the cars going to Europe have the Z51 package as standard. Why dose GM make us wait and wait for a Z51 car? I think we the United States of America support GM, not Europe. When will they learn, the Europeans will never admit to what a great car the Corvette is. They are mostly snobs and don't like America in the first place.
I've waited for almost six months for my car because of the allocation system. After talking to numerous people at GM who agree that it's an unfair system and needs to be fixed, but they can't help. I've been on the phone for hours on end, but when it's gets to the nitty gritty, not one single person has the answer or the power to go higher in the chain of command to get things done. The iron curtain still exist, it's between GM and us. The fine people that we are allowed to talk to only have very limited access to the powers that be. GM dictates to their dealerships how they want them to run that dealership and makes them remodel their buildings at the dealers cost and pay the cost of training their mechanics for the privilege of selling Chevy's. The dealership has lost customers because GM won't fill SOLD Corvette orders. It's hurts their reputation if they can't deliver the car you want.
Anyway, if GM is in deed reading these post, well then step up and take care of your loyal customers.
You got that right.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:40 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by HDBADDOG55
Come on Dave...My HUD is level, my seats heat just fine, have NO trouble with either my seat memory settings, or with my informat system. For $65,000.00 the new C7 looks better than the $450,000.00 Ferrari F2, and, it beat the pants off the Ferrari at Laguna Secca on ALL counts. Let's give GM the credit they so richly deserve for the design, engineering, and performance the new C7 represents.
Nah, let's just whine thinking GM reads this forum (instead of one of the many other Vette forums, or no forums) and makes corporate decisions based on a small percentage of Vette owners.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:47 PM
l8te apx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Everything works

Originally Posted by HDBADDOG55
You must have read the manual.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:21 PM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

Received 400 Likes on 241 Posts

One more thing. Didn't we, the people of this great country, bail GM out?

Get notified of new replies

To The power of this forum.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:26 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Lets not forget the hit or miss paint jobs. I have yet to see a new C7 with paint that I would be satisfied with. Those that seem to find no fault with their paint are much too forgiving or have visual issues.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:40 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

I also had an E46 during the era the OP describes and recall the steering fiasco well. THAT issue was essentially universal among BMW owners. MOST of the stuff you see on this forum (including this thread) are relatively isolated cases. I know some will take issue with that but I can honestly tell you my HUD is straight, my paint is fine (and that is REALLY a subjective thing to complain about), my fish are black ($4 fix), my retainer is black ($15 fix), my infotainment is fine, etc. etc. I agree the allocation / ordering system is jacked but it is what it is. I'm really happy with my car.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:48 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

I imagine that GM reads our posts from time to time and we do have GM customer service reps....... but I think that is the extent of their participation unless there is a major problem.

So far most of the stuff that as gone awry for the early owners has not been major. The C6 had dead battery syndrome, loose harmonic balancers & etc. For a first year car I think we have been very lucky so far. The car definitely needs a bit of tweaking which will probably happen over time.

Quick Reply: The power of this forum.