How to Buy a Corvette: Eight Steps

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 11:54 PM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 93 Posts

Default How to Buy a Corvette: Eight Steps

You want it fast? Like sometime this decade? You want it cheap? Like several Gs below MSRP? You want it equipped the way you want it? Then listen up.

First, forget about your local dealer. Sure, go there to look. They may have one or two Vettes on the floor. They'll also add several Gs to the sticker price. Fine. Let em. Order from a Forum dealer. They have allocation. They'll discount off MSRP. They'll deliver to your local dealer.

Ask your local dealer, preferably where you already have a relationship, if they will accept a courtesy delivery. Be prepared to pay $500 for this service. You may need to talk to the fleet manager or the general manager. Be polite, not demanding. Explain that you visited their sales department, but their available cars were not equipped to your liking. Also explain that you found a large dealership offering large discounts off MSRP. Your local dealer won't like it, but will understand the reality. They can blame Chevy's allocation system. Not your problem. Offer to service your car there.

Second, find a discount. Start here: http://www.gm.com/vehicles/current_offers.html
Be sure to get an authorization number.

Third, decide on the exact vehicle you want. Forget accessories for now. Those can be added later. Use Build and Price.

Fourth, be smart. 2LT with Nav is a no-brainer. If a full leather interior makes you happy, go for the 3LT. Otherwise, you save $4,000 ($3,200 with Nav.) If you plan to track your Vette, Z51 is a no-brainer. Otherwise, you save $4,000. If you want a Z06, more power to you. Otherwise, place your order before the 2015 price increase. If you want factory performance exhaust tangled up with the car's electronics, order NPP. Otherwise, go aftermarket.

Fifth, email your exact specifications and discount authorization number to a Forum dealer.

Sixth, be patient.

Seventh, sell your old vehicle to CarMax or any used car dealer. If you don't want the price hit, sell it privately.

Eighth, enjoy your new Corvette!
Old 05-09-2014, 10:32 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Here's the rub with a courtesy delivery - when it ships to the local dealer, you own it, no matter what condition it's in and no matter what you find wrong with it.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:57 AM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by pcguy2u
Here's the rub with a courtesy delivery - when it ships to the local dealer, you own it, no matter what condition it's in and no matter what you find wrong with it.
True. You own it. And you paid for it. In full. Sight unseen.

On the other hand, it shipped straight from the factory to the dealer. With your name on it. It hasn't been test-driven or sitting on a dealer lot. It also comes with a full factory warranty.

Are there problem scenarios? Sure, but that is true for any mode of delivery. What about a major problem that pops up after you drive a car off the dealer lot? Or one week later?

Bottom line is there are no absolute guarantees in life. The best you can do is take reasonable precautions. After that, you deal with whatever comes up. IMO, courtesy delivery is a reasonable option that has worked well for many, including moi.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:31 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Some pretty good ideas here as food for thought. But when it comes to selling your car outright or trading it in it all depends on the tax situation. In my state we pay taxes on the difference when trading in. If we sell outright we pay taxes on the full price on the new car. This could amount to a couple thousand dollars alone. So, Would you pay less if you traded it in? All this needs to be considered in the overall cost to us ...
Old 05-09-2014, 01:04 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,680 Likes on 2,899 Posts

Disagree with 2LT being a no-brainer, but to each their own. I personally opted for 1LT w/navi.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:43 PM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PaulB
Some pretty good ideas here as food for thought. But when it comes to selling your car outright or trading it in it all depends on the tax situation. In my state we pay taxes on the difference when trading in. If we sell outright we pay taxes on the full price on the new car. This could amount to a couple thousand dollars alone. So, Would you pay less if you traded it in? All this needs to be considered in the overall cost to us ...
Good point. Another thing to consider.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:04 PM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kracka
Disagree with 2LT being a no-brainer, but to each their own. I personally opted for 1LT w/navi.
I should have stated more clearly that this was my personal opinion only. While I believe 2LT is a great middle choice for most people, there are certainly folks for whom 1LT or 3LT makes perfect sense. Really a matter of personal preference. Thank you for pointing that out.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:28 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Really not that difficult:

1. Do business only with someone you trust. This could actually FAVOR a local dealer. Be smart enough to ask questions. Get all commitments in writing. Be honest with your skills - if you don't have experience buying a car have someone who does help you. It's OK - you won't be emasculated.

2. Order the vehicle you want ONLY after having done research to understand time constraints. Z51 - still an issue. Carbon components - could be an issue, etc.

3. Be realistic and patient.

4. Put reasonable amount down as deposit. You WANT a deposit - the exchange of money strengthens your contract (and there is no such thing as a verbal contract because nothing was exchanged in that setting).

5. Sell your car privately OR have a guaranteed price from the dealer (but be smart enough to calculate potential tax savings waived with a private sale).

6. Refer to #3 above.

7. Enjoy the car when it arrives - it was 6 months for me but I knew that going in. Funny - all that is forgotten now that I have it.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:05 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Mine was a LOT easier experience. I was still debating ordering, how to sell my C6, whether to wait for next year, etc, etc, etc. Then I drove by the local dealer, who always has 5 or 6 C7s on hand. They had one that was essentially exactly what I would order. Called and made an appointment to see a salesman a few days later. They had the C7 outside, let me test drive it, they drove my C6, and 2 hours later we had a deal. I drove the C7 home.

That's how to buy a C7.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:41 PM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Mine was a LOT easier experience. I was still debating ordering, how to sell my C6, whether to wait for next year, etc, etc, etc. Then I drove by the local dealer, who always has 5 or 6 C7s on hand. They had one that was essentially exactly what I would order. Called and made an appointment to see a salesman a few days later. They had the C7 outside, let me test drive it, they drove my C6, and 2 hours later we had a deal. I drove the C7 home.

That's how to buy a C7.
Congratulations and enjoy!
Old 05-09-2014, 07:58 PM
f152tall
Burning Brakes

Received 431 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by SASprof
If you want factory performance exhaust tangled up with the car's electronics, order NPP. Otherwise, go aftermarket.
What do you mean by tangled up? It seems like integration rather than federated systems are best, no?
Old 05-09-2014, 08:00 PM
f152tall
Burning Brakes

Received 431 Likes on 150 Posts

If you want a Z06, more power to you. Otherwise, place your order before the 2015 price increase.
Also, If you want to avoid the slight delay in the A6 shifting and get the A8, wait for a 2015.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:08 PM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by f152tall
What do you mean by tangled up? It seems like integration rather than federated systems are best, no?
My prejudices coming out here. Based on what I've read on this forum, the NPP has a mind of it's own, depending on drive mode and other settings. Members have not always agreed, attesting to the complexity. I would be OK with a simple on-off switch that puts it completely under the driver's control, but that's not the way it works. It decides on it's own when to open the valves and when to close em. That's just not for me. I would rather have aftermarket that is fully open all the time. Then I can control the sound based purely on RPMs. My 2c.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:52 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

You want it fast? Like sometime this decade? You want it cheap? Like several Gs below MSRP? You want it equipped the way you want it? Then listen up.

First, forget about your local dealer. Sure, go there to look. They may have one or two Vettes on the floor. They'll also add several Gs to the sticker price. Fine. Let em. Order from a Forum dealer. They have allocation. They'll discount off MSRP. They'll deliver to your local dealer.

Ask your local dealer, preferably where you already have a relationship, if they will accept a courtesy delivery. Be prepared to pay $500 for this service. You may need to talk to the fleet manager or the general manager. Be polite, not demanding. Explain that you visited their sales department, but their available cars were not equipped to your liking. Also explain that you found a large dealership offering large discounts off MSRP. Your local dealer won't like it, but will understand the reality. They can blame Chevy's allocation system. Not your problem. Offer to service your car there.

Second, find a discount. Start here: http://www.gm.com/vehicles/current_offers.html
Be sure to get an authorization number.

Third, decide on the exact vehicle you want. Forget accessories for now. Those can be added later. Use Build and Price.

Fourth, be smart. 2LT with Nav is a no-brainer. If a full leather interior makes you happy, go for the 3LT. Otherwise, you save $4,000 ($3,200 with Nav.) If you plan to track your Vette, Z51 is a no-brainer. Otherwise, you save $4,000. If you want a Z06, more power to you. Otherwise, place your order before the 2015 price increase. If you want factory performance exhaust tangled up with the car's electronics, order NPP. Otherwise, go aftermarket.

Fifth, email your exact specifications and discount authorization number to a Forum dealer.

Sixth, be patient.

Seventh, sell your old vehicle to CarMax or any used car dealer. If you don't want the price hit, sell it privately.

Eighth, enjoy your new Corvette!
I seem to be able to buy Corvette's!

Less steps than 8! Get on line to the Autotrader and find your car then
call them and purchase. Have it shipped to you!
Old 05-09-2014, 09:03 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

That's how to buy a C7.
I went to a local dealer just to look at LRG and three hours later I was parking it in my garage at home. I got to inspect the paint, check the interior fit and finish and play with the seat adjustment as long as I wanted to get comfortable before test driving it 20 miles or so. It had the exposed carbon fiber roof that I wouldn't have ordered, but every other option was just what I wanted.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:13 PM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm jealous of you guys that already received your Vettes. Congratulations on your good fortune. Each time I called or visited my two nearest dealers, they had zero, one, or two Vettes on the floor, none equipped the way I wanted, each sporting a sticker asking $10,000 over MSRP.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:23 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default sort of sad...

in this day and age we still have to go through so much of this
to buy the car we want.

Get notified of new replies

To How to Buy a Corvette: Eight Steps

Old 05-09-2014, 10:38 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,682 Likes on 1,862 Posts

That's how to buy a C7.
That's pretty much how my deal went. In addition, my local dealer accepted GM Supplier which shaved $6,500 off sticker! Goes to show, there's more than one way to skin a cat!
Old 05-09-2014, 11:43 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,226 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good advice and some of that is good old common sense.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:18 AM
checkur6
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Agree

I should have stated more clearly that this was my personal opinion only. While I believe 2LT is a great middle choice for most people, there are certainly folks for whom 1LT or 3LT makes perfect sense. Really a matter of personal preference. Thank you for pointing that out.
I ordered the 2LT. Just the right balance of features and cost. I wanted the extra interior color options, the heads-up display, the Bose Premium Sound System, etc. The 3LT just didn't seem to offer any extra, substantive items that I wanted and I really didn't care for the leather on the dash. I went for Kalahari and the leather on the dash was too much. The Nav was only a $795 add-on vs $4000.

Quick Reply: How to Buy a Corvette: Eight Steps