Sponsored by:

Am I wrong for this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 06:51 PM
air86
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Am I wrong for this?

So today I was waiting at the dealership for the shuttle to drive me home when someone came up to me and started to talk to me about my stingray. He was a nice older gent. anyway he asked me where I bought it and I told him that I bought it at Kerbeck and when he said he wanted to buy one I told him not to buy It from the dealership we were at and go to a volume dealer. Of course I recommended Kerbeck, even showed him kerbecks. But also advised him of the other volume dealerships as well and then showed him Kerbecks inventory on my ipad. He was amazed at how many rays they have and have coming in. I feel as if I took business away from the dealership we were at but in the same fashion when your charging 10k over sticker for a car you can get 2800 miles away and still pay less in shipping at or maybe even below msrp, but I want this guy to get a better deal than what he would have gotten at this dealership. People are getting ripped off with this market adjustment b.s
Old 05-15-2014, 06:58 PM
Scottys78
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The only thing I agree with is always going to the most experienced.

Not a dealer that only sells maybe 5 or 8 corvettes a year.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:01 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

No, you absolutely did the right thing. I have personal experience with ordering one from a local dealership, being lied to about the delivery time, cancelling the order (and stopping payment on the deposit check), finding out about Kerbeck and private shipping on this board, ordering from Kerbeck, getting honest, truthful service, and ending up happy as hell.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:11 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

I would make sure the local dealer was doing all those things before you decided they did. If so, then you did the right thing but if you just assumed, then you jumped the gun.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:38 PM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 93 Posts

You absolutley did the right thing by educating another person about his options. He is still free to make his own decision, which might be to give the local dealer a chance before ordering from a big dealer. That would be fair all the way around.

I have a wonderful local dealer that has treated me very well in their service department for 8 years. I visited their new car department, but they only had two Stingrays, both $10K over MSRP and not equipped the way I want. I asked if they would accept another courtesy delivery, like they did 8 years ago, and they kindly agreed. I will continue to patronize their service department.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:45 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Back in 2004 I wanted to buy a Commemorative Z06. A very large local Chevrolet dealership had one in stock that was 2 miles from my home. Tried to deal with them and showed them an ad from a large volume Corvette dealership in Michigan. Long story short...bought the Z06 in Michigan for $6000 less!
Old 05-15-2014, 07:49 PM
emsguy
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by air86
So today I was waiting at the dealership for the shuttle to drive me home when someone came up to me and started to talk to me about my stingray. He was a nice older gent. anyway he asked me where I bought it and I told him that I bought it at Kerbeck and when he said he wanted to buy one I told him not to buy It from the dealership we were at and go to a volume dealer. Of course I recommended Kerbeck, even showed him kerbecks. But also advised him of the other volume dealerships as well and then showed him Kerbecks inventory on my ipad. He was amazed at how many rays they have and have coming in. I feel as if I took business away from the dealership we were at but in the same fashion when your charging 10k over sticker for a car you can get 2800 miles away and still pay less in shipping at or maybe even below msrp, but I want this guy to get a better deal than what he would have gotten at this dealership. People are getting ripped off with this market adjustment b.s

Never, never **** off the guy who works on your brakes.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:54 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by emsguy
Never, never **** off the guy who works on your brakes.
Salesmen don't work on brakes.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:01 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Did you know who he really was? Never assume that the nice older gentlemen is who you think. You could of been talking to the owner of the business and have gotten in trouble legally. Don't discuss business practices with strangers. With nothing to gain why open Pandora's box.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:27 PM
c5eddiem
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Given the unique aspects of buying a C7 (allocations, constraints, etc.), I think it's reasonable to provide this type of info to an interested future buyer. You just provided the gentleman with some things to think about before making a significant purchase.

IMHO, no foul!

Ed
Old 05-15-2014, 09:27 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Did you know who he really was? Never assume that the nice older gentlemen is who you think. You could of been talking to the owner of the business and have gotten in trouble legally. Don't discuss business practices with strangers. With nothing to gain why open Pandora's box.
How?
Old 05-15-2014, 10:06 PM
air86
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Nah I never slandered the dealership. He just asked me where I bought it and I was honest with him. He said he wanted one but every time he goes to the dealer to look and they never can keep them on the lot and I just explained the best I can the allocation system and that most of the cars hitting the lots at locals are probably sold before arrival and how he could if he really wanted one can go about to get one. I disclaimed that I wasn't trying to take business away from the current place but If he wanted a car without paying the market adj. which in my opinion is a screw job go to a volume dealer and just referred him to Kerbeck and other corvette dealers.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:11 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by c5eddiem
Given the unique aspects of buying a C7 (allocations, constraints, etc.), I think it's reasonable to provide this type of info to an interested future buyer. You just provided the gentleman with some things to think about before making a significant purchase.

IMHO, no foul!

Ed
Old 05-15-2014, 10:19 PM
Al Blue4.6l
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan
How?
the only thing that crosses my mind immediately is tortious interference with contract - which could be broader in some states than others I suppose.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:20 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan
How?

OP Doesn't work for the competition. Even if he did, all they could do is ask you to leave and never return.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:09 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

My local dealers were up to $5000 over MSRP and/or had no allocations at the time I wanted to order. Had to think large!
Old 05-15-2014, 11:37 PM
checkur6
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Out of State Dealer

Originally Posted by air86
Your story sounds identical to mine.
I searched the local dealers and besides all of them wanting $10K over for cars that didn't match my wants, they didn't have the allocation to place an order.
I was desperate and went to the forum and said "what do I do now?'
Within minutes I had several responses telling me to check the dealers on the left side of the page. I picked the WORLD's LARGEST (Kerbeck) and within 10 minutes I was on my way. They were fast, competent, knowledgeable, professional courteous, and guess what, THEY HAD ALLOCATIONS. I know this sounds like a commercial, but this was my experience. Now, 6 weeks later, my newly minted C7 is on a train somewhere rolling across Kansas, probably a week away from delivery, built exactly like I wanted, with no $10k over and no paying for options I don't want.
I don't really know what these dealers expect someone to do when they can't deliver. I must give my local courtesy delivery dealer credit though. They were the one's that had originally backed out on the allocation but did end up taking my CD. Two other local dealers flatly refused (dumb). This dealer will get the nominal CD fee and will also now get all my future business be it cars or service (smart).
I guess sometimes arrogance gets in the way of good business sense!

Get notified of new replies

To Am I wrong for this?

Old 05-15-2014, 11:52 PM
smajicek
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

You did the right thing, he is old enough to decide if he wants to pay 10k over or not. I am in California and all the dealers here are charging premiums because they can however I also can make my own decision and go with a volume dealer on the East coast and I paid msrp
Old 05-16-2014, 12:24 AM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mdm23
Salesmen don't work on brakes.
Bingo - your service guys don't care where you bought the car - they know where their bread is buttered (or at least they should know).

A month or so ago, I was shopping for a new CTS for my wife at the local Chev/Caddy store, and pulled up in the C7 - they had never seen one before. I'll stick with the Forum dealers - In five purchases with these guys, I've never had a bad experience.

The scary part is whether my local guy has anyone trained in servicing the Stingray....
Old 05-16-2014, 02:13 AM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I am sure a lot of the forum dealers are great to deal with when it comes to buying a new car. I have ordered parts and an extended warranty through them. Having said that, I decided to order my C7 from a non-forum local dealership (about 40 miles from me) and had a great experience. I don't know how many allocations they were given, but they told me they did not accept any orders over their allocation.

My salesperson from the local dealership was straight forward with me regarding price, allocation/constraint issues, and time frame for delivery (3 1/2 months from order to delivery). The local dealership gave me a great deal on my C6 trade-in ($4,000 more then a forum dealer offered me and $3,000 more then CARMAX). They also gave me a good price on the extended warranty (not the $1,000, $2,000, or $3,000 above retail cost I have been hearing about in California).

I have already ordered a cargo shade from my local dealership where they ordered the wrong part. The parts guy told me he made a mistake and ordered the wrong part. He made arrangements for the dealership to eat the cost difference of the correct part and shipped it to me for free.

The point I am trying to make is not all local dealerships are trying to take advantage of or mislead their customers. They are in business to make money, and they made some money on me; however, IMHO it was a reasonable profit based on the demand.

This is why the Corvette Forum is so beneficial. Do your research and have fun shopping for your new Stingray!

Quick Reply: Am I wrong for this?