Sponsored by:

Magnetic ride control

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 08:08 PM
Brucey
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnetic ride control

I ordered the Z51 package. How will the ride be without the magnetic ride control. I want a smooth ride when touring. Some say with the magnetic ride control it rides like a Cadillac in the tour mode?
Old 05-18-2014, 08:28 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Brucey
I ordered the Z51 package. How will the ride be without the magnetic ride control. I want a smooth ride when touring. Some say with the magnetic ride control it rides like a Cadillac in the tour mode?
Well, you ordered the roughest possible riding version of the C7 (at least until the Z06/Z07 packages start showing up at the dealers.). Will it ride like a truck? Probably not, but it sure won't be a smooth ride, like an MRC or non-Z51 model.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:37 PM
David2667
Advanced

I don't have it on mine and I ordered the Z51 option. I live in SouthFlorida and the roads are pretty smooth. I can't say I miss it, because I never had it before. I will say I can feel the road, but I like that. I wouldn't have a problem driving this car on a long road trip though. It's comfortable for me!
Old 05-18-2014, 08:38 PM
Delta88
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The C7 Z51 with mag ride doesn't ride like a caddy....
Old 05-18-2014, 08:48 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

There are dozens of threads on this subject. Spend some time doing searches in the C7 section for "mag ride" "MRC" and "MSRC". Make sure you use the advanced search option and be sure to limit the search to the C7 section only and also be sure to search titles only. You will find a plethora of information on the subject. That said, non MSRC suspension will be much rougher feeling than Eco or Tour mode with MSRC. Also keep in mind that MSRC does much more than what you feel over bumps.

If I were to go non MSRC with a Z51, the first thing I would do would be to get a set of DRM modified Bilsteins as they are much more progressive than the normal Z51 suspension and will provide a smoother ride over Z51 shocks while also adding a bit better handling than the standard Z51 shocks when you get on it in the turns. I ran them on my 09 Z06 and it was the best $400 I spend on that car. That said, I think DRM is still working on their C7 offerings.

Either way, MSRC can't be beat but draw your own conclusion and do some homework by searching as mentioned above.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:01 PM
777vetter
Heel & Toe

I just got mine last week. It is a convertible Z51 with magnetic ride control. I really like it. You can feel the difference when you switch from touring to sport or track mode. Pretty cool. It does not ride like a Caddy in Tour mode. It is better with MRC but not bad without it. I had a 2008 and my 2014 is worlds better but it did not have magnetic ride control. I would take the 2014 on long trip no problem. One dealer tried to talk me out of it saying the cost to repair will be high. If I was ordering it again tomorrow, I would order it the same way. Just my opinion. Enjoy the wait - took me 7 weeks.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:06 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

This question has been asked and the pros/cons debated here many times. Personally, I have a C7 Z51 w/o magnetic ride and I am satisfied. I also have the same setup on my '05 and the ride is about the same. I had MRC on our '03 convert and was not impressed-could not even feel the changes. It's supposedly improved since then. There are always arguments that it's a $ deal for those of us who didn't check the option box but that was not my reason. I just prefer a somewhat stiffer ride in that vehicle. Given that reasoning, why would I pay additional $ for a smoother ride option that I would likely not use? If you are after the Cadillac ride then you had better go with the MRC. My Cadillac is a CTS coupe with the 'performance' group and it rides stiffer than a standard suspension one. Just my preference. Perhaps you should forego the Z51, save some $, and get a base suspension. You can always change out the wheels/tires/spoiler if that is your reason for a Z51.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:01 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Bruce, you'll be just fine. There is a Touring mode that you can set it to-you'll love the ride.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:23 PM
Brucey
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Bruce, you'll be just fine. There is a Touring mode that you can set it to-you'll love the ride.
Steven, do you have a Z51 with out magnetic ride?

Get notified of new replies

To Magnetic ride control

Quick Reply: Magnetic ride control