Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stopping coupe roof rattles???

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 10:03 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The more things change, the more things stay the same. Chevy wake up and fix these annoying problems.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:22 PM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

The TSB number is 08-08-67-013G which gives detail for applying the silicone grease.

I do not have my C7 so I cannot look at the removable top, but the online owners manual looks like it is very much like the C6.

I have a printed copy of the TSB from ALLDATAdiy.com, but when saving it creates 29 files on my desktop. Your dealer will be able to print a copy of the TSB for you.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:32 PM
Al Blue4.6l
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar
The more things change, the more things stay the same. Chevy wake up and fix these annoying problems.
If it's just the seals it's really not a big deal. Things like Gummi phledge fix it as can a dawn covered rag (removes car wash/wax/etc residue which can cause sticking/shifting issues)
Old 05-20-2014, 10:55 PM
romaja
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Aerospace 303

Anyone happen to try Aerospace 303 on the seals/stripping?
Old 05-20-2014, 11:06 PM
Al Blue4.6l
Racer

Originally Posted by romaja
Anyone happen to try Aerospace 303 on the seals/stripping?
That caused more squeaking/rattling for me in my 335 coupe but ymmv
Old 05-21-2014, 06:36 AM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The noise the op and I are referring to is not from the seals. I looked into this at great lengths and the noise is coming from the 2 front handles. The noise started as soon as I started removing and replacing glass roof & the temperature of the cabin increased (around 70's now in NY)the sound just as OP described is a creaking/ knocking sound,the same sound that was coming from the glass roof of my 08 until the new front handles were released&replaced. I removed 1 of the handles and found what looks like shavings of aluminum under the handle. Time for a trip to the dealer to chase it down....Just what I didn't want to do!!

P.S. holding pressure up or slightly rotating either handle open a little stops the noise.
Hope this helps
Old 05-21-2014, 06:46 AM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by vetehead
The noise the op and I are referring to is not from the seals. I looked into this at great lengths and the noise is coming from the 2 front handles. The noise started as soon as I started removing and replacing glass roof & the temperature of the cabin increased (around 70's now in NY)the sound just as OP described is a creaking/ knocking sound,the same sound that was coming from the glass roof of my 08 until the new front handles were released&replaced. I removed 1 of the handles and found what looks like shavings of aluminum under the handle. Time for a trip to the dealer to chase it down....Just what I didn't want to do!! P.S. holding pressure up or slightly rotating either handle open a little stops the noise. Hope this helps
Bingo. That's where I seem to hear it.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:39 AM
dc82
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same creaking issue on my brand new C7. It started about 500 miles into a roadtrip (about 1000 miles on the car). It then continued the entire remainder of the 5000 mile road trip.

I haven't tried anything to fix yet. It's happening on my body-color roof. I need to try my glass roof to see if the problem is on the car side, or the roof side.

It's really annoying to have just bought the most expensive car I've ever owned, and to have a noise like this - it cheapens the car.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:58 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I have had mine off and on a few times and have had no rattles but the fit seemed very tight. (Maybe explaining the lack of rattles.) I followed the manual's suggestion and applied some silicone grease to the gasket surfaces and now reattachment is much easier, still no rattles or squeaks.

Frankly, with the crappy roads I find myself on frequently, it's amazing that the car remains so solid!

Last edited by C7Joy; 07-07-2014 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Fix auto-correct error ;-(
Old 07-07-2014, 03:38 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
I've had mine off a bunch too and no noise at all. It will drive me NUTS if it starts to rattle... I absolutely HATE rattles!!
Old 07-07-2014, 04:54 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C7Joy
I have had mine off and on a few times and have had no rattles but the fit seemed very tight. (Maybe explaining the lack of rattles.) I followed the manual's suggestion and applied some silicone grade to the gasket surfaces and now reattachment is much easier, still no rattles or squeaks. Frankly, with the crappy roads I find myself on frequently, it's amazing that the car remains so solid!
Can you post a link of the product you used? Thanks!
Old 07-07-2014, 05:11 PM
ErnieD
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'19

Originally Posted by ssidekickbp
Anyone have a quick fix for stopping the small roof rattles on their coupes? Any products or adjustments that can be made? Its not too bad but would rather not have it at all...
At least the C7 (and later C6's) have benefit of the factory change from latches that had rollers to the later latches that don't. Those rollers were a frequent source of popping/creaking noises. Here are a few steps that should fix your noisy roof/latch problem:

1) Clean all weatherstripping and contact points on both the top and the surfaces that the top, locating pins, and latches mate with. Just use a damp rag with or without a very mild cleaner.

2) Check each locating pin for tightness and tighten any loose ones.

3) Remove the hold down bolt that each latch pivots around. Clean the surfaces of the bolt and latch that make contact with each other, then coat those surfaces with a bit of silicon grease and reinstall the latches.

4) Wipe a bit of silicon dielectric grease on all mating surfaces. Include the weather stripping, pins, and latches. Wipe any excess off of the weatherstripping and leave only a small film on the metal contacting points.

5) Reinstall the top and chances are you're "good to go" with no more noise.

If noise still exists, you'll likely need to adjust the top so it fits a bit more snugly. One alternative to make the latches "pull" a bit tighter without actually adjusting their positions is to fit slightly larger O-rings to the front locating pins. (I'm assuming here that the pins, O-rings, and sockets are the same or at least very similar to the C6 items where I once used this technique, but not sure of that.)
Old 07-07-2014, 10:08 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by ssidekickbp
Can you post a link of the product you used? Thanks!
Here is the stuff I used. Obviously purchased at my local NAPA.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:49 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C7Joy
Here is the stuff I used. Obviously purchased at my local NAPA.
Thanks!
Old 07-10-2014, 07:00 PM
Whataguy
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts

Default mine too

Originally Posted by vetehead
The noise the op and I are referring to is not from the seals. I looked into this at great lengths and the noise is coming from the 2 front handles. The noise started as soon as I started removing and replacing glass roof & the temperature of the cabin increased (around 70's now in NY)the sound just as OP described is a creaking/ knocking sound,the same sound that was coming from the glass roof of my 08 until the new front handles were released&replaced. I removed 1 of the handles and found what looks like shavings of aluminum under the handle. Time for a trip to the dealer to chase it down....Just what I didn't want to do!!

P.S. holding pressure up or slightly rotating either handle open a little stops the noise.
Hope this helps

this is the sound coming from mine also, going to dealer tomorrow, hope he is smarter than usual.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:02 AM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Whataguy

this is the sound coming from mine also, going to dealer tomorrow, hope he is smarter than usual.
Please report back if the dealer is able to fix and what they did to repair the problem.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:12 AM
Jontall
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a long TSB: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...oof-panel.html

Get notified of new replies

To Stopping coupe roof rattles???

Old 07-11-2014, 09:59 AM
John Micheal Henry
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
They had it fixed on the C5 and C6. It was called Z06 and ZR1. Now they have messed that up with the C7 Z06.

This is why a fixed roof should be an option on all models.

Michael
+1 good idea. The removable top could be an option.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:16 AM
sahowley
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by WKMCD
No rattles I have exposed carbon fiber top.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:39 PM
LS6GXP
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine creaks too.. Started as soon as I took the top off for the first time. I have since re-installed the top and lubed the seals with some success but not permanent ... Hope there is a solution . I will be bringing it up on my first dealer service in a couple of weeks...

Quick Reply: Stopping coupe roof rattles???