Sponsored by:

Stopping coupe roof rattles???

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 02:41 PM
entologix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssidekickbp
It's no so much a rattle as it is a slight creaking I guess you can say....
My roof is a transparent one and only squeaks if it has been sitting in direct sunlight…after driving and cooling off no more noises. Might be heat related because of the materials expanding...
Old 07-11-2014, 03:01 PM
Second Vette
Drifting

Received 642 Likes on 327 Posts

Anyone have a quick fix for stopping the small roof rattles on their coupes? Any products or adjustments that can be made? Its not too bad but would rather not have it at all...
If it hasn't been mentioned yet, make sure that the rubber grommets haven't come off the Top Mounting Pins that insert into the two Windshield Header holes.

If they are missing, I'm pretty sure it would cause a rattle since the Top wouldn't be secured tightly in front.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:19 PM
Whataguy
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by vetehead
Please report back if the dealer is able to fix and what they did to repair the problem.
I think my problem was Owners Error. Took top off, went for ride, no creaks or rattles, put SliGlide over all rubber gaskets of entire car, put top back on, making sure it was set properly in place, locked down and went for another 20 mi ride to dealer to check out. But, on the way there, NO creaks, No rattles, No noise. I think top was not securely in place or maybe a gasket tweaked a little out of normal placement. But it's quiet now. I'm happy and over it.

Hope your fix is that easy.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:40 PM
halt00
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by entologix
My roof is a transparent one and only squeaks if it has been sitting in direct sunlight…after driving and cooling off no more noises. Might be heat related because of the materials expanding...
Experiencing same here - seems to be quiet on the way to work but loud rattles on the way home after a hot day. Seems quiet on cold days. I took my top off for the first time and it is much worse since then. But it was rattling before my first take off so I know it isn't related to grommets.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:56 PM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok GM there is enough of us in this thread now...obviously there is a problem AGAIN with targa top noise when the cars are sitting in the sun. It's time to put the roof engineers and or squeak and rattle on it again like the C6 era!! ......Here is a start.... Both my handles were replaced (both were hairline cracked were pins is pressed thru to the plastic block)also the front locating pins were changed as well... the noise did not stop.The top has been adjusted looser then tighter still making noise. The only thing that will stop the creaking while still hot is to slightly rotate handles open or push up on top from inside....when interior temps come down(after some time with ac running) the noise will finally stop.....I have the transparent top,I am starting to wonder if it could be the roof frame it self distorting in the heat slightly.....I thought with the new C7 stiffer non flexing chassis we were done with targa top noise for good....

Last edited by vetehead; 10-11-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:17 PM
vetehead
Drifting

Bump....anyone that was able to resolve this??
Old 10-11-2014, 01:19 PM
Gazi
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem took to the dealer and the tech adjusted it have not had the problem since.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:15 PM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Anyone have a quick fix for stopping the small roof rattles on their coupes? Any products or adjustments that can be made? Its not too bad but would rather not have it at all...
!st unlatch the rear latch and look at the space between the the hook and latch !!! Mine was about 3/8-1/2 " and it should be about 1/8 " !!! i took my car to the dealer and they turn the hook 2 turns to make the gap smaller !!! the latch is the same as C 6 cars !!! Wayne
Old 12-19-2014, 11:28 AM
SGZ51
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My vehicle has been "creaking" ever since I took the top off. At first, I thought it was the dash but it wasn't.

The creaking in my vehicle only comes from the Passenger Side and is only prevalent over rough roads. This morning, I figured out it was coming from the roof.

If I put an upward pressure with my right hand on the roof, the creaking stops.

Based on what I have read, for me, it is the front passenger side roof latch.

Will see what I can do to resolve on my own. It is an inconvenience right not and is not at the point that it is driving me crazy. But then again, my wife has a Hard Top Convertible Mercedes and it has no creaks or sounds whatsoever, so I know it should be something which could be resolved.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:13 PM
winky
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine rattles on the front ( windshield ) side. I will try the dish soap and see how that goes.

I notice weather plays a roll. It never happened while it was cooler out. Now that it's 80 or so I noticed that's when it began.

I have the same problem. I had my car in the shop four times and the top replaced and it did not help. All I got for my effort was grease on my door panels
Old 03-31-2015, 06:04 AM
hootowlc7
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Here is what it sounds like in my car...

Old 03-31-2015, 10:04 AM
RichAshley-Black99
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Ive Just had mine a week and had my top off once and now its making noise.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:49 AM
socaljet
Racer

I was never able to solve this problem with my 09 C6 but a light coat a Vasaline applied with a cloth made all the difference with my 14 C7.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:01 PM
PEWTER RAGTOP
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Check out this youtube video by "The Corvette Mechanic" on the maintenance procedures for the C6 removable roof. Although I haven't taken delivery of my C7 yet, I believe the removable roof is very similiar to the C6 so these procedures should work.

I used " Super Lube Synthetic Grease" to lightly lube the locating pins and receivers as well as the stainless ramps on the front latches on my C6 GS before we left on a 10,000 mile road trip front coast to coast last year without a squeak or rattle from the transparent roof on the entire trip.
Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2015, 04:10 PM
BigKitty
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Fixed Roof

Originally Posted by tail_lights
One thing I loved about the C6Z was the fixed roof was quiet!! My C4s, C5 and GS C6 all had roof noise issues

Good luck on the fix OP!
Can we have a fixed roof version,,please
Old 04-01-2015, 03:04 PM
Duntov7
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hey there,

I cannot guarantee anything, but I have reached out to an internal resource regarding this concern. Feel free to private message me and, I can update you on my findings. Talk to you soon!

Jennie R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Jennie, with all due respect, I suggest that you sidestep the private messages, and arrange to 'publish' your "findings" on the continuing C7 'snap-crackle-pop' issue.

FYI, I personally have tried to live with this extremely annoying phenomenon through many thousands of miles across America (and I hale from the great far north)....in my 2005 C6, 2008 C6 and now the C7. I remember GM/Corvette engineer Tom Hill at our 2013 Hampton, Virginia NCRS judging National event saying...."the new robust C7 frame will eliminate this top noise". NOT.

Please let us (the owners) know everything you can unearth on the broadly experienced and very concerning top noise issue our favorite sports car. Thank you very much.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:29 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by Duntov7

Jennie, with all due respect, I suggest that you sidestep the private messages, and arrange to 'publish' your "findings" on the continuing C7 'snap-crackle-pop' issue.

FYI, I personally have tried to live with this extremely annoying phenomenon through many thousands of miles across America (and I hale from the great far north)....in my 2005 C6, 2008 C6 and now the C7. I remember GM/Corvette engineer Tom Hill at our 2013 Hampton, Virginia NCRS judging National event saying...."the new robust C7 frame will eliminate this top noise". NOT.

Please let us (the owners) know everything you can unearth on the broadly experienced and very concerning top noise issue our favorite sports car. Thank you very much.
Are you Canada's representative to the UN? You are very much a diplomat in your writing.

Get notified of new replies

To Stopping coupe roof rattles???

Old 04-01-2015, 06:33 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Mine was creaking from the drivers side, I put a little lube in the gasket area, noticed the plastic trim on the windshield is slightly rubbed where the top meets so put a little there too, creaking all gone.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:21 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by vetehead
Jennie pm sent.....Man I thought we were done with targa top noise with c7 with the additional chassis stiffness....UGHH here we go again....noise is definitely from the 2 front handles....
C. washers on the rollers . don't know what size on these never had the top off .bit you can go to the c6 sec. and theres lots of pic.s.
this is why i never take the top off on any i have owed . guess thher will be a nother recall . shame they have had all these yrs to fix this prob. and DON'T
good luck on the roof
Old 04-01-2015, 08:27 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Are you Canada's representative to the UN? You are very much a diplomat in your writing.
whats with this p.m. me and i will tell you just because obama owns you ,no reason to act like him
or we can do away with the form and just PM everyone

Quick Reply: Stopping coupe roof rattles???