Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Complete C7 custom stereo install

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 10:46 AM
Vette73fan
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not flawed buddy...we talked about this at length...those 10s require a ton of air space in the box....I could have gone with fosgate P1s 2 or even a slim design.... they could have created a more compact box....I didn't want that...I wanted the T series woofers which give me the sound I desire...I also wanted a big out of control box....just like when guys upgrade the engine...they like to open the hood and see all the cool stuff .....I am the same way with my stereo...I wanted to open up my trunk and see a crazy awesome box and amp....in fact I might get even more over the top and do a new box that is actually fiberglass and painted to match the car with LEDs all over the place.....and the shop asked me at least 3 times about the roof....I told them I didn't care about the roof placement...I wanted to take up the trunk and do something really cool!!

Originally Posted by zhopper05
Sure it is a clean install, but flawed. I know the OP indicated he leaves the top in the garage when it's off. In my opinion, that's a simple excuse for a flawed design. In his particular case it may work for him. But for a shop, they should have taken that issue into consideration. I am sure it is doable; as a customer, I wouldn't accept it.

Last edited by Vette73fan; 06-01-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:48 AM
Vette73fan
Intermediate

Thanks man....well said Nate GM

Originally Posted by Nate GM
Like he already said, to each his own. Not everyone buys a Corvette for the same reason. Some people care more about how it looks or how it sounds rather than simply how fast it goes. Why does it matter to you if we care more about audio than performance?

If you only care about performance then why don't you save a whole lot of dough and buy a Hyundai and throw a supercharger on it?

No offence, but I can tell that you're very far from being an audio expert. In order to have a great sounding audio system, you need to be able to have deep bass as well as crisp sounding speakers.

So now you're calling him stupid just because he wanted a better audio system?

God forbid he upgrades to a set of rims that are 2 inches larger than the stock ones....

Glad to hear that adding better speakers to a Corvette is "trashing" it. I will make sure to comment that your Corvette is trashed next time you add a mod. OK, rant over
Old 06-01-2014, 10:51 AM
Vette73fan
Intermediate

If you are putting in 12s then yes you will need to change out the stock front speakers....the bass will probably overpower your mids and highs....I think....just depends on how much power you will have going to your 12s

The deck works fine with the system....you will need some type of processor to make the thing work...

I used the cache coe8

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ache-COE8.html

I'm installing a new system with 2 12 or 15 inch Alpine subs in the next week or two. Do you think I'll need to swap out the front Bose speakers with Alpine speakers and tweeters or will I be able to leave the stock Bose speakers in there?

Also, how well does it work with the stock head unit? Can you easily adjust the bass and tune it? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Vette73fan; 06-01-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:40 AM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Vette73fan
Not flawed buddy...we talked about this at length...those 10s require a ton of air space in the box....I could have gone with fosgate P1s 2 or even a slim design.... they could have created a more compact box....I didn't want that...I wanted the T series woofers which give me the sound I desire...I also wanted a big out of control box....just like when guys upgrade the engine...they like to open the hood and see all the cool stuff .....I am the same way with my stereo...I wanted to open up my trunk and see a crazy awesome box and amp....in fact I might get even more over the top and do a new box that is actually fiberglass and painted to match the car with LEDs all over the place.....and the shop asked me at least 3 times about the roof....I told them I didn't care about the roof placement...I wanted to take up the trunk and do something really cool!!
Good for you then. That's why I said in my comment that in your particular case it may have been what you wanted.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:47 AM
killascrimp
Racer

your system is bada$$.... don't let other members tell you otherwise. I bet it sounds awesome, I don't care for the BOSE,in my c7, some of the other AUTO companys are using the harmon Kardon set up and it sounds way better IMO, I had a bose system in the first car I ever owned" 98,maxima," And it sounded better than the c7 but GM didn't want to part with bose so we all have it. not impressed with the sub in the back. but back to topic.. Great work. I am waiting for stealth box.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:41 PM
webdzynes
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow man....really

So I am 41... Married for 17 years...have a 16 year old daughter....worked for the same company for almost 18 years

I like quality sound....in order to achieve what I like it requires improved speakers and amps...also 10 inch woofers are much different that 12s or 15s...I don't blast bass to impress....in fact I listen to lots of country, classical and rock music...I just like quality sound.....and I usually have my windows rolled up!!!!!!!!!!!! Unless I am on the highway and the weather is nice which is rare cause I live in Texas...on that occasion I will roll down the windows and crank it up

And just to be clear....I love the look of a corvette. That's why I have owed 4 of them over the last 20 years.

I just don't get all caught up about the horsepower.....my obsession is music....

It's no different that the guy that buys a supercharger or fancy exhaust....they want to enhance the performance of the car.......I just want to enhance the sound system and I am good with the performance of the engine......each to his own.

I love the look and design of a vette with quality sound....

Everyone in the world is different buddy...people like different things....maybe you should not take shots at people and just accept that some people are different that you...

Oh and to add to my weirdness that I am sure you will criticize....I am a huge Star Wars fan.....got a whole room full of collectible stuff....

Here is my office.....I only show you this picture to demonstrate how different people can be....would you ever have imagined a guy that collects Star Wars stuff in his 40s drives a corvette and puts in a crazy stereo???......

Well here I am....

And no I am not a complete nerd....

Oh...one more thing...when people come to my house...including my wife's friends or my daughters teenage friends....they love to check out the Star Wars collection and the new vette...I always laugh at how many "normal"people get so excited about seeing my stuff....oh and they always want me to turn on the stereo...in fact most of the time they ask to hear the stereo before they ask to hear the engine....

Crazy...I guess those people are dumb just like me

Amen! I love the C7 and love the power. Looking very forward to the C7 Z - But regardless of the car, I have to have a stereo that rocks to my tastes! For those who dont care about stereos, good for you - thats Perfectly fine. For those that do want great sound, I say the same. But the obvious is that we buy what we want for ourselves and then do what we like along those lines. Knocking anybody for doing what they want to satisfy their own tastes in my opinion is one of the stupidest things anyone can say.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:34 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm installing a new system with 2 12 or 15 inch Alpine subs in the next week or two. Do you think I'll need to swap out the front Bose speakers with Alpine speakers and tweeters or will I be able to leave the stock Bose speakers in there?

Also, how well does it work with the stock head unit? Can you easily adjust the bass and tune it? Thanks in advance.
You will definitely need to swap everything (besides the head unit) to make it a complete installation. The stock components are not "high quality" items.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:36 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Wow man....really

So I am 41... Married for 17 years...have a 16 year old daughter....worked for the same company for almost 18 years

I like quality sound....in order to achieve what I like it requires improved speakers and amps...also 10 inch woofers are much different that 12s or 15s...I don't blast bass to impress....in fact I listen to lots of country, classical and rock music...I just like quality sound.....and I usually have my windows rolled up!!!!!!!!!!!! Unless I am on the highway and the weather is nice which is rare cause I live in Texas...on that occasion I will roll down the windows and crank it up

And just to be clear....I love the look of a corvette. That's why I have owed 4 of them over the last 20 years.

I just don't get all caught up about the horsepower.....my obsession is music....

It's no different that the guy that buys a supercharger or fancy exhaust....they want to enhance the performance of the car.......I just want to enhance the sound system and I am good with the performance of the engine......each to his own.

I love the look and design of a vette with quality sound....

Everyone in the world is different buddy...people like different things....maybe you should not take shots at people and just accept that some people are different that you...

Oh and to add to my weirdness that I am sure you will criticize....I am a huge Star Wars fan.....got a whole room full of collectible stuff....

Here is my office.....I only show you this picture to demonstrate how different people can be....would you ever have imagined a guy that collects Star Wars stuff in his 40s drives a corvette and puts in a crazy stereo???......

Well here I am....

And no I am not a complete nerd....

Oh...one more thing...when people come to my house...including my wife's friends or my daughters teenage friends....they love to check out the Star Wars collection and the new vette...I always laugh at how many "normal"people get so excited about seeing my stuff....oh and they always want me to turn on the stereo...in fact most of the time they ask to hear the stereo before they ask to hear the engine....

Crazy...I guess those people are dumb just like me

Nice Star Wars collection. You would get a kick out of Hollywood Studios at Disney this month. Since its the anniversary year for the original Star Wars movie, they are having Star Wars celebrations every day over there. I was there last weekend and they had a ton of characters running around and special shows going on.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:38 PM
Nate GM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you are putting in 12s then yes you will need to change out the stock front speakers....the bass will probably overpower your mids and highs....I think....just depends on how much power you will have going to your 12s

The deck works fine with the system....you will need some type of processor to make the thing work...

I used the cache coe8

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ache-COE8.html
Originally Posted by Motohead279
You will definitely need to swap everything (besides the head unit) to make it a complete installation. The stock components are not "high quality" items.
Thanks guys, I will definitely take your advice!
Old 12-22-2014, 07:04 AM
C6-LS2-MN6
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm also in TX and EVERY stereo shop claims they know how to install a complex system in the new Corvette C7...but when talking to them in depth, its evident that their experience usually ends w/ the older C6 model. I'm not looking to help train installers by using my C7 as a "test car"!

I think your C7 is one of the first in the nation to have a full system installed. I'm in Austin, but willing to drive to Dallas and talk to your installer to see if we can design a setup for my C7.

Do you remember the name of the installer that worked on your car at Crank It Up Car Audio? I'd like to make sure he still works there.

Also, do you have any pictures of the speaker adaptor plates used for your door speaker components?

I assume the T3652 mids and tweets were placed in the doors, where did you place the 8" mid bass sub?

Here's a LINK to my last C6 system:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nts-pic-s.html
Old 12-22-2014, 11:05 AM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

As a professional musician for over 50 years, I've played around the world in rock bands, country bands, big bands, jazz quartets, symphony orchestras, etc., etc. I love live, clean, present sound. I'm currently dealing with hearing loss and ringing in my ears. So a word to the wise, be smart, be careful!
Old 12-22-2014, 02:17 PM
Brucealeg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha....classic....I could play a you tube video of a stock c7 exhaust through my stereo and you would not be able to hear your exhaust if I was holding my head next to it.....

And I am not joking......

All in fun my man
haha nice. I like the system you had installed, to loud for me - but nice.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:40 PM
C7HOORAY
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts
Default I love high end audio too, but...

Originally Posted by andoneward
I have the HD750 and 600 in my truck. The 900/5 is an absolute beast for its size and I don't think you'll need more unless you just want it.
But, in the words of Tim the Tool man Taylor: "grunt grunt grunt.....more power!"
The C7 has limited trunk space....so I enjoy my Dr. Dre BEATS headphones while in the Corvette....total cost?? $300 - a fraction of the cost of your install!
Old 12-22-2014, 11:41 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by andoneward
I have the HD750 and 600 in my truck. The 900/5 is an absolute beast for its size and I don't think you'll need more unless you just want it.
But, in the words of Tim the Tool man Taylor: "grunt grunt grunt.....more power!"
Depends on the sub he's going with, a 10w7 would be under driven with only 500W from the 900/5, it is enough to fit in the suggested wattage for the 10w7 but if you want that sub to sing its pretty much 1000W or buy a different sub. Of course a 10w7 would be overkill in a Vette. The 10w3 though would be a perfect match to the 900/5 and would produce some nice tight bass and shouldnt be too boomy in a Vette.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:17 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

that's great, I would totally do that if I didn't need the cargo area.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:38 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by C7HOORAY
The C7 has limited trunk space....so I enjoy my Dr. Dre BEATS headphones while in the Corvette....total cost?? $300 - a fraction of the cost of your install!
You do realize Beats by Dre anything is over marketed crap for what you pay right? For what you paid for those headphones you could have gotten some Sennheisers or Shures, which produce far better sound than Beats. Of course anyone who buys Beats probably doesnt care about reviews and bought them solely because theyre cool. I had a pair of Sony reference headphones that I got about 10 years ago that sound better than the top of the line Beats.

Sigh I guess I am an audio snob, just like when I opened this thread and saw the list of Rockford Fosgate parts and thought "the Corvette isnt a Civic, why put those in this car?" But then the list of speakers that I would put in my C7 is very short with Focal and JL Audio as my two go to brands. The audio bridge was the missing element for my plans, I will have to do some research so I can retain the stock headunit but have a good enough source signal to justify the cost of the components I want. I am curious if any company offers a standalone unit that will enable me to properly position the sound stage with the stock head unit.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:40 AM
catnaround
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

ever herd of Tinnitus,its a ringing in the ears,when i was your age i always purchased the best head phones i could find,liked to plug them in and listen to the likes of Pink Floyd,AC/DC,ELP,ect,ect,now in my late 60's the ringing in my ears is so loud i can hardly hear my exhast, im just sayin

Get notified of new replies

To Complete C7 custom stereo install

Old 02-16-2015, 01:55 PM
seel2000
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tagged for future. Looking for audio installer Austin or Houston area...
Old 02-16-2015, 02:00 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by C7HOORAY
You do realize it is illegal to wear headphones when driving. How are you going to hear and ambulance or Fire truck? Illegal or not, wearing headphones while driving is not a great idea. Thinking anything made by Dr. Dre is excellent sound is another area you are certainly not educated in.

I also am an audio snob and not that a car will ever be a concert hall but again, anything RF is middle of the road at best. Focal, Dynaudio, now they are great sounding high end speakers.

Last edited by C7-Beast; 02-16-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:55 PM
quadeddie
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As others have mentioned on page 3 Vette73fan, congratulations on your current or pending tinnitus.

Go to teenbuzz.com and see which ringtone you can still hear.

Quick Reply: Complete C7 custom stereo install