C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flying to OH then driving back to southern CA on my new C7. What places should I see

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 08:58 PM
jerryc610
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Flying to OH then driving back to southern CA on my new C7. What places should I see

thanks everyone for your help on my other post, i wasn't sure if shipping the car to California was the best choice and pay $1500 to $1900 so my other alternative was to fly in and drive it cross-country, which i have never done before, the only thing i don't know where to go and see the best places, this will be probably the only time i would do a cross-country trip, what great places do you guys recommend me going , seeing taking photos staying at, Im going to take my wife with me so she can help with the drive too everyone thanks for all your replies
Old 06-01-2014, 09:05 PM
Esoteric Detail
Supporting Vendor

Received 462 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryc610
thanks everyone for your help on my other post, i wasn't sure if shipping the car to California was the best choice and pay $1500 to $1900 so my other alternative was to fly in and drive it cross-country, which i have never done before, the only thing i don't know where to go and see the best places, this will be probably the only time i would do a cross-country trip, what great places do you guys recommend me going , seeing taking photos staying at, Im going to take my wife with me so she can help with the drive too everyone thanks for all your replies
Where in Ohio are you coming to pick up your car?
Old 06-01-2014, 09:12 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by TSC17
Where in Ohio are you coming to pick up your car?
yep; where is your dealer in Ohio ?
Old 06-01-2014, 09:16 PM
grayone
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

When you get to Illinois you can hop on Route 66 and take it back to California.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:17 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Drive across on I-90. Pretty baron until you get to the Black Hills. Visit Mt. Rushmore, down through Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, down through Salt Lake City to St George, Las Vegas and home.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:26 PM
Bill B 1
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by VETJAZZ
Drive across on I-90. Pretty baron until you get to the Black Hills. Visit Mt. Rushmore, down through Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, down through Salt Lake City to St George, Las Vegas and home.
Take the northern rout you wont be disappointed.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:30 PM
MikeC4C5C6...C7
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

Pick up historic Route 66 in St. Louis and drive it all the way. Get a couple guidebooks and be prepared for a great experience! Did it in 2000 in a C5 all the way to Santa Monica Pier. Don't miss wild burros in Oatman AZ.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:05 AM
SDLaw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this trip a month ago. I took I-80 I think the drive through Colorado off I-70 is a gorgeous drive. The mountains of Utah are fun as can be too.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:08 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Get this Guide Book for the USA, and do it your way.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:50 AM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

There are to many great places to see in our wonderful country. You need to do as CRABBYJ posted and buy the book. Find what you want and plan your trip for you.
Having driven the north and the south routes you get to see a lot of different environs and weather, highlights of the north are Glacier and west to Seattle, beautiful! Great thing about the south is the chance to see the Grand Canyon, it's awesome, Route 66 is cool and great history," Kookie,Kookie, lend me your comb." The I80, I70 is pretty mind blowing going through the Rockys. And for a nice slow drive the Natchez Trace Parkway from Memphis to Natchez, La. is really nice, nice places to pull over and learn about the plantations and the real south from 150 years ago, then grab I10 and go west.
All the routes are great just read the book and plan your trip. Or just take a month and drive back and forth about 6 times.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:57 AM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryc610
I used Google Maps to chart my trip and pick out several routes to look closer at some local sites -parks - museums and other interests !!! In fact I found out that Palo Duro Canyon Park which has the 2nd largest canyon area in the United States only 30 miles south of Amarillo ( where I was going visit my Dad's brother and his wife I had never seen before ) !!! I also used GM for hotels,motels and even do-it-yourself car wash stations !!! Wayne
Old 06-02-2014, 10:09 AM
2CRUZIN
Drifting

Old 06-02-2014, 10:13 AM
firemon
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 34 Posts

I have it on good authority that the Grand Canyon is well worth seeing !!!
Old 06-02-2014, 10:15 AM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by firemon
I have it on good authority that the Grand Canyon is well worth seeing !!!
If you have never been there, words will not describe it.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:26 PM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I like this idea if you have never been to Yellowstone. Also, west of Mt. Rushmore as you head to Yellowstone is Cody, WY. Fun little town. Also, south of the Tetons is Jackson Hole. Another fun place. No idea what you and yours are into, but you can do a rafting trip down the Snake River outside of Jackson Hole.

As someone who used to work in Yellowstone for a couple of summers, If you go the Yellowstone route, I would stay at Canyon Lodge if you are planning on spending a few days in the park. It is the central spot of the park to stay and you can maximize your days seeing stuff. Also, Old Faithful Lodge is pretty cool as well.

We already have Route 66 going through our town of Rancho Cucamonga so you and I both get to see that all the time.

Have fun on your trip!!
Old 06-02-2014, 04:38 PM
rm50
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I will second this post. I have taken this trip and thoroughly enjoyed the drive!!
Old 06-02-2014, 07:02 PM
theDRisin
Intermediate

I just did the trip from Bowling Green, KY to Temecula, CA in March. At that time of year I wanted to stay more to the south. I made stops in Louisville, Lexington, Nashville, Memphis, Jackson, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, and Tucson before making it home! It was not the most scenic drive at times, but they were some fun towns to visit. It truly all depends on what you are interested in seeing/experiencing along the way.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:25 PM
OperativeXIV
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will this be a leisurely drive back, or do you have limited time?

One thing that might be fun would be a drive up through the north, as others have described, through Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons (Unless you want to go though the Colorado Rockies through Vail). You'd go through the South Dakota Black hills and Mt. Rushmore to get there. Then head straight south through the scenic parts of Utah (Canyon Lands National Park), swing through Arizona and see the Grand Canyon. Then from the Grand Canyon up to Vegas (if that's your thing) then back home to Rancho Cucomunga. I would bet that would take about a 7-8 days to do, but if it's your spectacular, once in a life time trip then it might be worth it to zig-zag a little.

Get notified of new replies

To Flying to OH then driving back to southern CA on my new C7. What places should I see

Quick Reply: Flying to OH then driving back to southern CA on my new C7. What places should I see