C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a GoPro Hero3 Black...any tips for using it? (Launch Control Video Attached)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 11:12 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Default Got a GoPro Hero3 Black...any tips for using it? (Launch Control Video Attached)

Shot my first C7 video today with my new Hero3. Any tips for places to mount it on the C7, best way to use it, etc.? I'm taking it with me to Spring Mountain in a week and a half and want to make sure I get some good track videos. Thanks!

Old 06-02-2014, 01:56 AM
bglmn
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...awesome picture! Obviously, a lot of seat time is required to
master that LC.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:43 AM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

I've mounted mine on the rear roof latch with a handle bar mount and two extensions. Gives a nice central view including driver and passenger but if you don't mind the 'uncool' look , the best mount I've found so far is the head band mount and works with the roof on or off . You'll probably want to lower the seat an inch or two to give the normal drivers view to the camera.

There is a still shot plus a trial video. If you mount it this way, know your head is a swivel and you need to lock it down . I'm also using the 'skeleton' housing so stereo sound is much better and if you need to, you can recharge the batteries from the USB mounts in the console.

I'm also using the iPad app which works great and allows you to see the camera view before filming.
Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2014, 09:16 AM
gkwpnut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to get one too before October and will be interested in your thoughts and suggestions.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:14 AM
romaja
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Attended Spring Mountain in early may with my GoPro Hero 3+. I mounted it on the inside of the hatch glass with a suction cup mount. This area captures the sound well. I used 1080p medium view. The video exposed the inside of the car nicely but over exposed the outside. Spot metering helped but still a bit overexposed in the direct sun.

The sensor picks up the dark interior which leads to overexposure of the outside.

If you mounted farther forward (possibly the top of the windshield) and captured primarily the hood and forward, the contrast would not be so great and the outdoors would be exposed correctly. In this view you will not see the inside of the car or the driver and Passenger. The helmet mount could work as long as you aren't really tall.

A suction mount on the inside of the transparent top would work well although you will be hopping in and out of many different cars and they all have different tops.

I also mounted the camera on the outside below the small drivers side window. This worked well as was exposed properly but you will not hear much of the engine sounds at the higher speeds (lots of wind noise)unless you placed an external mic near the exhaust.

I have the GoPro app on my smart phone so I could use the preview to adjust the camera position and control the camera from my smart phone. I then placed my phone in the drivers side door to prevent it from flying around the cockpit and under a seat.

It helps to be familiar with you GoPro as you dont have a lot of time to get it set up once you jump in a cars.

Last edited by romaja; 06-02-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:41 AM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Thanks for the feedback...very much appreciated!
Old 06-02-2014, 03:13 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Sounds like you missed third on take 1. Great video - love how the stripe in your hood allows me to see the car slide a bit on take off.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:29 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by mksz51
Sounds like you missed third on take 1. Great video - love how the stripe in your hood allows me to see the car slide a bit on take off.
Good catch on third... And thanks!

And even with the slight slide, I didn't take my foot off the gas at all...just let launch control do it's thing.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:46 PM
uwec86
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

Great info...going in July!
Old 06-02-2014, 04:29 PM
onthebottom
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Suction cup mount on rear window: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wwb3ti30ou...tle%20Ride.mov
Old 06-02-2014, 04:37 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by onthebottom
Excellent!
Old 06-02-2014, 07:24 PM
onthebottom
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onthebottom
Also did one with an iPhone and OBD overlay: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wrrof9r1lr...%2045%20PM.mov
Old 06-02-2014, 07:52 PM
C7 STRAY
Intermediate

Attended Spring Mountain last week, took a Go Pro Hero 3+ black that I had shipped to a REI store in Henderson, NV, and picked it up on the way to SM the evening before my session began. Just enough time to read the manual, charge 2 batteries on the USB port on the TV in the SM condo, and program the "upside down" feature, as I had a suction cup mount and intended to hang it from the roof or rear hatch.
The first morning at SM is "drinking from a fire hose", decided to concentrate on learning vs. filming, knew I couldn't do both. In the afternoon of Day 1 I mounted it to the transparent roof, just to the passenger side of center, got it adjusted quickly to where it looked about right right, and turned it on. Did this for every other track session Day 1, was in transparent top cars each time, so just took a minute to mount and turn on.
Wanted to review my footage that evening, but, alas, no micro HDMI cord, so no way to plug into the TV. Oh, well, another day, did the same thing Day 2, skipped 1 session when I was in a padded roof car, didn't want to make a big deal of it.
I'd include a clip of one of the sessions, but I'm still such a rookie at Go Pro I'm still learning how to edit out short clips, etc. Overall it worked well, good view of both the interior and the track ahead, some over-exposure due to the dark interior. Good sound, you can hear the instructor on the radio clearly, and the engine at acceleration and blipping on downshifts. If you adjust the dash to show mph in the center in big numerals it shows up well on film. Not much else of value showed up on the interior, just the rear view mirror, my right knee, steering wheel, etc.
In closing, a few lessons learned:
1. Better to get familiar with Go Pro well before you go to SM
2. Learn to adjust the light so the outside isn't over-exposed while still showing the interior.
3. Take the necessary cables so you can view, critique and adjust after your 1st session.
4. Don't mess up your driving/learning experience because of the camera. Focus on the training and accept what the Go Pro gives you as an added bonus.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:54 PM
chevyman426
Instructor

How long with largest sd card will go pro record for? (hours)
Old 06-03-2014, 08:58 AM
C7 STRAY
Intermediate

I used 32 gig cards, never got anywhere near 1/2 capacity on either. I know several guys who ski with a GoPro, not sure which model or how many frames/second they are shooting, but they go all day on a 64 gig card. I'm told that the Wi-Fi remote feature decreases battery life, FYI.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:59 PM
rcz58z
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
Shot my first C7 video today with my new Hero3. Any tips for places to mount it on the C7, best way to use it, etc.? I'm taking it with me to Spring Mountain in a week and a half and want to make sure I get some good track videos. Thanks!

2014 Corvette Launch Control - YouTube
I mount my on my c6 convertible using suction cup right below the rear view mirror. it has to be mounted upside down, so you have to change the setting to record upside down.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:04 PM
rcz58z
Heel & Toe

Default go pro for sale

Originally Posted by gkwpnut
I want to get one too before October and will be interested in your thoughts and suggestions.
i have one that i'm currently listing on the forum..

I purchased this Go Pro Hero 3 Black edition last fall with all the accessories to put in my corvette when taking road trips.

I found it doesn't do what I really wanted it to do. Or perhaps it's just to complicated for an old fart like me.

Anyway I've used it a total of 3-4 times only.

I purchased it brand new and all accessories for @ $700 total. Still have all the boxes.
Will sell for $550 OBO.

Comes with:
Hero3 camera black edition
LCD bacpac
Battery bacpac
Wifi remote
Auto charger
Multiple mounts
Cables
32gb ultra sd card
64gb ultra sd card
Carrying case

i'm in Ca and will have it at vette magic this weekend in sacramento.

Get notified of new replies

To Got a GoPro Hero3 Black...any tips for using it? (Launch Control Video Attached)

Quick Reply: Got a GoPro Hero3 Black...any tips for using it? (Launch Control Video Attached)