Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on purchasing process

Old 06-04-2014, 01:23 PM
dckotwicki
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Question on purchasing process

My wife and I are upgrading from a C6 to a C7. I have a question about the process.

*We placed a $1000 deposit on a vehicle at a local Chevy dealer.
*We have the receipt for $1000
*We have the GM workbench paperwork detailing the vehicle
*We have a document stating the purchase price, tax, transfer, trade in value, ballance due etc.
*I have verified the manufacturing info at this forum and Chevy's website.

Nothing has my / our name on it. When I asked for more specific docs, I was told that since there is no VIN yet, they cannot write up a specific bill of sale. This is a big Chevy dealership so I don't have any concern that I might loose the deposit.
But...
Should I be concerned???
Is this the normal routine for a corvette that is still in the pipeline???

Please... calm me down... Should I demand more???

Last edited by dckotwicki; 06-04-2014 at 01:29 PM. Reason: additional comments
Old 06-04-2014, 01:26 PM
djlink21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dckotwicki
My wife and I are upgrading from a C6 to a C7. I have a question about the process.

*We have a document stating the purchase price, tax, transfer, trade in value, ballance due etc.

Nothing has my / our name on it. When I asked for more specific docs, I was told that since there is no VIN yet, they cannot write up a specific bill of sale. This is a big Chevy dealership so I don't have any concern that I might loose the deposit. Should I be concerned???
You got more info then I did, and I bought from MacMulkin.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:32 PM
dckotwicki
Pro

I guess that is encouraging... I guess.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:53 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

My workbench info didn't have my name on it either, and I had price protection. Everything went smooth. Your receipt is your proof of purchase and the workbench paperwork ties it together.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:22 PM
dckotwicki
Pro

Originally Posted by Glen e
the MOMENT they input your order, they can print this: ask for it - ask the sales manager -until it says 2000 in the red circle, you really have nothing, a car is not being built for you. Notice how my name is on it, not the dealer name:
I have the order workbench. My name is not on it.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:28 PM
dckotwicki
Pro

Originally Posted by Larry/car
My workbench info didn't have my name on it either, and I had price protection. Everything went smooth. Your receipt is your proof of purchase and the workbench paperwork ties it together.
I am guessing that all will go well. I am just not use to or comfortable with not dotting the "I"s and crossing the "T"s.

I did not order the vehicle, I went to the dealership and placed a deposit on one that was in their pipeline. I am hoping that the sales person pulled the vehicle for me once I gave the deposit.

My current status is 3000 - accepted for production TPW 6-23-2014
I am watching carefully

Last edited by dckotwicki; 06-04-2014 at 03:32 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 06-04-2014, 03:29 PM
HDBADDOG55
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 73 Posts

the MOMENT they input your order, they can print this: ask for it - ask the sales manager -until it says 2000 in the red circle, you really have nothing, a car is not being built for you. Notice how my name is on it, not the dealer name:
The key questions/highlights to your post are:

1. How long ago did you put your deposit down?; and

2. You said you placed your order with a "local dealer".

As so many of us on this Forum learned by sad experience, your "local" dealer may "tell" you they can order you a C7 Corvette, take your deposit & give you a receipt, AND, even give you an Order Number. But, as Glen states, your "local" dealer may NOT have any "allocation" from GM to acquire a 2014 or 2015 Corvette. Until GM "accepts" your dealer's Order..ie you go to Order Code 2000( read your local dealer has, or is given an allocation associated with your order), GM doesn't even know that you exist.

I'd stongly advise you to get your money back and purchase a C7 Corvette from one of the large Forum dealers listed on the right hand side of this Forum. Many, such as Kerbeck, Criswell, Coughlin, & MacKullin(not sure I spelled that right), have "numerous" 2014 C7's either "in stock", or, "built & in transit", in nearly ever color, interior exterior & equipment package you could possibly want.

Good Luck.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:30 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

I am guessing that all will go well. I am just not use to or comfortable with not dotting the "I"s and crossing the "T"s.

I did not order the vehicle, I went to the dealership and placed a deposit on one that was in their pipeline. I am hoping that the sales person pulled the vehicle for me once I gave the deposit.
yes, that's more data...it will not have your name on it...But I would have them draw up something that has the order number on it and acknowledging your deposit....
Old 06-04-2014, 03:40 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,909 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by HDBADDOG55
I'd stongly advise you to get your money back and purchase a C7 Corvette from one of the large Forum dealers listed on the right hand side of this Forum. Many, such as Kerbeck, Criswell, Coughlin, & MacKullin(not sure I spelled that right), have "numerous" 2014 C7's either "in stock", or, "built & in transit", in nearly ever color, interior exterior & equipment package you could possibly want.

Good Luck.
I don't think he needs to jump ship yet. There are plenty of dealers besides Forum Dealers who can sell Corvettes. I would get the Order Workbench, and see what the status of the car is, since they said "it is in the pipeline".

Also the original poster was hoping for a Bill of Sale. They can't do that, nor would you want one, until the car is ready to be sold. The reason I say you wouldn't want one, is if the quality of the car is poor, or it is damaged in shipping, prep (Johnny washes the car with a sponge that landed on gravel ), etc., you want to be able to refuse the car and get another.

Michael
Old 06-04-2014, 04:12 PM
dckotwicki
Pro

[QUOTE=dckotwicki;1587056069]My wife and I are upgrading from a C6 to a C7. I have a question about the process.

Nothing has my / our name on it. When I asked for more specific docs, I was told that since there is no VIN yet, they cannot write up a specific bill of sale. This is a big Chevy dealership so I don't have any concern that I might loose the deposit.
But...
Should I be concerned???

Please... calm me down... Should I demand more???[/QUOTE

I don't think I need to jump ship.
TPW is 6-23
Event code is 3000
My concern is that I bought this car after it was ordered by the dealer for their inventory. I am just hoping that nothing goes wrong and it gets sold out from under me.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:23 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

[QUOTE=dckotwicki;1587057319]

But...
Should I be concerned???

Please... calm me down... Should I demand more???[/QUOTE

I don't think I need to jump ship.
TPW is 6-23
Event code is 3000
My concern is that I bought this car after it was ordered by the dealer for their inventory. I am just hoping that nothing goes wrong and it gets sold out from under me.
I suppose he technically could sell the car to someone else, as your name is not on the order. However, the mere fact that you have seen an OrderWORKBENCH document and know your status and TPW means your dealer is head and shoulders above the average Chevy dealer. They are apparently keeping you well informed and I would not worry too much.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:31 PM
dckotwicki
Pro

[QUOTE=fdxpilot;1587057822]

I suppose he technically could sell the car to someone else, as your name is not on the order. However, the mere fact that you have seen an OrderWORKBENCH document and know your status and TPW means your dealer is head and shoulders above the average Chevy dealer. They are apparently keeping you well informed and I would not worry too much.
When I was at the dealer, they checked and told me the vehicle might get to me by June's end. They have a deposit. I was given the workbench printout and a document that contains the financial breakdown... I.E. Total price, tax, transfer, fees, trade value and balance due. My concern is that I have nothing with my name on it. The workbench printout has the TPW and I have verified it through the forum link.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:16 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I ordered from MacMulkin in January. Tommy sent me the workbench document same day with my name on it. This was me in Nashua March 8th, picking up my order. 7 weeks start to finish.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:42 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Kerbeck supplied a Purchase Order and Workbench both in my name.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:45 AM
dckotwicki
Pro

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
Kerbeck supplied a Purchase Order and Workbench both in my name.
But... Did you order the vehicle from scratch?

My circumstances are...
I walked into the dealership and put a deposit on a vehicle that was already in the system for this dealer.
As such, I was given...
A copy of the orderWORKBENCH that did not have my name on it.
A price breakdown sheet with (1) purchase price (2) DMV fees (3) Documentation fee (4) Tax (5) Amount due (6) Trade in amount and (7) Balance due. (also did not have my name on it)

My concern is that (other than the deposit) the paperwork they gave me does not have my name on it.

I am a nervous kind of guy about this stuff. I like all the loose ends tied up.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:09 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Yes, mine was scratch built. I did not pickup that yours was already in the system.
Your dealer is in the business of selling and delivering cars and making you a happy customer. Have them get your name on the purchase order to made you happy.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:28 PM
markk1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But... Did you order the vehicle from scratch?

My circumstances are...
I walked into the dealership and put a deposit on a vehicle that was already in the system for this dealer.
As such, I was given...
A copy of the orderWORKBENCH that did not have my name on it.
A price breakdown sheet with (1) purchase price (2) DMV fees (3) Documentation fee (4) Tax (5) Amount due (6) Trade in amount and (7) Balance due. (also did not have my name on it)

My concern is that (other than the deposit) the paperwork they gave me does not have my name on it.

I am a nervous kind of guy about this stuff. I like all the loose ends tied up.
dckotwicki, 1. the Workbench Order was placed before the dealer knew you wanted a C7. I would not expect to see anybody's name on the Order other than the dealer since it was originally for dealer stock. At least the order is past code 1100, so you know the car will be built. 2. if you want some peace of mind, ask the dealer to add the order number to the receipt for your deposit, that shows you have placed the deposit on that specific car, and the dealer is obligated to sell it to you at the quoted (and I assume agreed-upon) price. 3. Don't sweat it too much. If the deal falls through, get your deposit back and buy a 2015 from MacMulkin.

Get notified of new replies

To Question on purchasing process

Old 06-05-2014, 01:08 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

This has been said above about 5 times...have the GENERAL SALES MANAGER take your receipt/workbench, scribble the order Number across it and sign it...done
Old 06-05-2014, 06:02 PM
tentorium
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has been said above about 5 times...have the GENERAL SALES MANAGER take your receipt/workbench, scribble the order Number across it and sign it...done

This is what I did even though I ordered mine. Had a workbench order with my name on it showing pricing and receipt for refundable deposit.

They asked me to sign the order- I guess so I couldn't come back later and say - hey I didn't want that option! So I asked the manager and the salesman to sign as well.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:41 PM
dckotwicki
Pro

Went to the dealership and explained my concerns. I was given a letter stating the build number, my deposit and that I have the right of first refusal.

I am guessing that is enough.

Am about two weeks from TPW. 2 years ago, my wife and I bought our first (a C6). Never did I imagine this.

Last edited by dckotwicki; 06-08-2014 at 10:45 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question on purchasing process