C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do allocations work in relation to part/package constraints?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 07:26 PM
mfear
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How do allocations work in relation to part/package constraints?

If a dealer has an allocation for, let's say, a Z51 coupe, and they place the order (status 1100), then it gets accepted (2000), then queued for production/accepted by production control (3000), does that mean that regardless of the constraint, the ordered car is accounted for and can be produced?

Do the 'constraints' simply limit the allocations that GM gives out, or does it end up limiting the orders placed by the dealers with allocations?

It seems like the former would be more accurate, otherwise why would GM allocate a car to a dealer that they cannot actually build due to a constraint.

Sorry if that's confusing.

More simplified: are constraints taken into consideration when the allocation is giving to the dealer?
Old 06-06-2014, 07:57 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No, constraints are not a consideration when allocations are distributed.

Laborsmith
Old 06-06-2014, 09:53 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by laborsmith
No, constraints are not a consideration when allocations are distributed.

Laborsmith
This is correct. I have personal experience (as many do). My dealer in late 2013 had 3 coupe allocations; I was number 3 of 3. When my allocation was available in October 2013 Z51 was on constraint. I had to choose between taking the allocation WITHOUT Z51 or waiting for a future allocation to come available and hoping I could get Z51 then. I chose the latter option and in December my car was built and delivered. I DID write several letters to Customer Service (that they DID respond to) and my dealer pressed his regional rep pretty hard - I DO think those actions caused my car to "appear" almost magically (because my dealer did NOT have an available allocation at the time). I waited 6 months - long forgotten now that I have the car.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:21 PM
mfear
Pro

Ok and at what status code will a constraint cease production? Does it occur before 3000? After?
Old 06-06-2014, 11:19 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mfear
Ok and at what status code will a constraint cease production? Does it occur before 3000? After?
You can't go past 1100 if an item you want is on constraint and your dealer doesn't have an allocation for that constraint. The dealers allocation report will show how many of each constrained item they can order.

If GM picks up the order and it goes to 2000 then barring a major quality issue like they discovered with the CF roof the order has passed constraints and will get built. Constraints mean nothing once the order is at 2000 or higher.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:16 AM
mfear
Pro

Originally Posted by mjw930
You can't go past 1100 if an item you want is on constraint and your dealer doesn't have an allocation for that constraint. The dealers allocation report will show how many of each constrained item they can order.

If GM picks up the order and it goes to 2000 then barring a major quality issue like they discovered with the CF roof the order has passed constraints and will get built. Constraints mean nothing once the order is at 2000 or higher.
Ok so that conflicts with what laborsmith says..

It makes more sense this way.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:33 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

I think constraints can still impact you at 2000. It's 3000 or higher where they mean nothing.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:51 AM
MY70THAnv
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, have a question... If your #1 on a dealer 2015 allocation and your car is heavy with possable constrants does the order get skiped or just sit there until they have parts for your car/ order number. sorry confused by what i was told before..
Old 06-07-2014, 11:56 AM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FCCCVPMan
Ok, have a question... If your #1 on a dealer 2015 allocation and your car is heavy with possable constrants does the order get skiped or just sit there until they have parts for your car/ order number. sorry confused by what i was told before..
Your order will get skipped unless you agree with the dealer to remove those constrained items. If you really want those items, wait.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:08 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdm23
I think constraints can still impact you at 2000. It's 3000 or higher where they mean nothing.
No it won't unless you change the order and add a constrained item OR something changes between the time GM accepted the order and the move to 3000. This "something" would,have to be major like a bad batch of parts, a blizzard or a suppliers truck crashing with specific parts needed for your build being destroyed. Even then, all it would do is delay the move to 3000 status. New items added to constraint on the weekly consensus DO NOT effect orders at 2000 status, only orders at 1100 status waiting to be picked up by GM.

Bottom line, if you are at 2000 you have passed the constraint hurdle.

Last edited by mjw930; 06-07-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:16 PM
MY70THAnv
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No it won't unless you change the order and add a constrained item OR something changes between the time GM accepted the order and the move to 3000. This "something" would,have to be major like a bad batch of parts, a blizzard or a suppliers truck crashing with specific parts needed for your build being destroyed. Even then, all it would do is delay the move to 3000 status. New items added to constraint on the weekly consensus DO NOT effect orders at 2000 status, only orders at 1100 status waiting to be picked up by GM.

Bottom line, if you are at 2000 you have passed the constraint hurdle.
Ok will I will NOT change because I will never buy a car I dont really want. I would wait because my dealer gets 70 Plus cars a year so If I'm number one for 2015 it has to be buit some day lol

Thanks for the responce...clear as mud GM makes it..
Old 06-07-2014, 02:20 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mfear
Ok so that conflicts with what laborsmith says..

It makes more sense this way.
It should not conflict; at least that is what I was trying to say.

Laborsmith
Old 06-07-2014, 02:26 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mdm23
3000 and above the order rolls over to the next model year; an advantage (at least in the past) is price protection. Of course that means nothing if there is no price increase.

3000 means the assembly plant has accepted the order.

2000 means GM and 2500 means Chevrolet have accepted the order.

Is there a chance a 2000 will not be built in the model year it was made? Is there a chance a sink hole will open in the middle of the Bowling Green Assembly Plant?

Laborsmith
Old 06-07-2014, 02:32 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FCCCVPMan
Thanks for the responce...clear as mud GM makes it..
These codes are intended for GM internal use and work well for that purpose. They were not in the past and even now in the present intended for a public use. Could there be modifications so we not inside GM can understand it all? Yes but I am not holding my breath.

Laborsmith

Get notified of new replies

To How do allocations work in relation to part/package constraints?

Quick Reply: How do allocations work in relation to part/package constraints?