TSW vs. HRE

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 08:45 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Unless you track your car you'll never get anywhere near the design limits on wheels whether they're forged or cast. That means for the vast majority of C7 owners it doesn't matter whether your wheels are forged or cast, so base your purchase decision on cost, quality and looks with little or no weight on how they're made.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:50 PM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T
Okay. Thank you! I've never seen that Powerpoint pic with Tadge and I never looked at that thread because of the title subject.

So, I guess that settles it, Z51 wheels are forged!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1586358122-post35.html
I talked to one of the GM Engineers at a track event who told me the same information Z51 wheels are forged. Which isn't too hard to believe, my M3 and M5 both came with forged wheels from the factory.

The people on this forum will look at the blue sky and say it's white. So much wasted energy on being argumentative.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:51 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

This thread will turn a lot worse, I'm afraid....
Old 06-09-2014, 08:51 PM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Unless you track your car you'll never get anywhere near the design limits on wheels whether they're forged or cast. That means for the vast majority of C7 owners it doesn't matter whether your wheels are forged or cast, so base your purchase decision on cost, quality and looks with little or no weight on how they're made.
I have tracked SSR's and BBS wheels for many years without any issues and they are also not Forged.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:56 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by leadville1
I have tracked SSR's and BBS wheels for many years without any issues and they are also not Forged.
Yup. I raced my C6 at open road races and road tracks. Lots of Vettes of various years at those races. How many wheel failures did I see or even hear of? Not one. Ever.

The forged v. cast wheel argument is no different than a private man-part size argument.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:15 PM
djlink21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
heading that way. i just wanted some help
Old 06-09-2014, 09:31 PM
rawhide
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default rims

Does anyone know where the wheels are made? I know the tsw's are made in china which was a deal breaker for me, but don't know where the corvette or hre"s are made.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:32 PM
Dan12
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What about pot holes? I always thought forged was to maintain roundness when hitting a large pot hole? Wouldn't cast bend easier?

I like the factory wheels being forged.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:58 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

$1050 shipped...easy choice
Attached Images      
Old 06-09-2014, 10:02 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dan12
What about pot holes? I always thought forged was to maintain roundness when hitting a large pot hole? Wouldn't cast bend easier?

I like the factory wheels being forged.
When's the last time you talked to anyone who ended up with a bent wheel from a pothole? I mean firsthand experience, not someone who told someone who heard it from someone?

I'm not a metallurgist, but I suspect a cast wheel would be more likely to break instead of bending. I could be wrong about that.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:07 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I talked to one of the GM Engineers at a track event who told me the same information Z51 wheels are forged. Which isn't too hard to believe, my M3 and M5 both came with forged wheels from the factory.

The people on this forum will look at the blue sky and say it's white. So much wasted energy on being argumentative.

Like I said, I thought the same thing having seen the same presentations over a year ago but all the latest literature, as well as the Chevy website no longer mentions forged, they simply state painted aluminum. Do you really think that if the production wheels are indeed forged GM wouldn't play that up in their literature????

It's not unheard of for specs to change from those May 2013 presentations Tadge and team did and September production.

If they are forged then their under $795 MSRP ($585 street price) makes them some of the least expensive forged OEM wheels I have ever seen. Most factory forged wheels are well over $1000 MSRP. My OEM Forged Jeep SRT wheels were $1495 each.

As to where HRE Flow Formed are made vs. TSW's, I stand corrected but either way it's the same process and TSW is a very respected wheel manufacturer but hey, if you want to contribute to HRE's profits then by all means pay twice the price plus over the TSW's for a cast wheel.

Personally, I purchased a 2nd set of Factory Z51 wheels to have refinished Hyper Silver/Black because I like the design, trust them to be a quality wheel but wanted a different finish. The wheels I bought will be here tomorrow so I'll take a close look and see, it's pretty easy to spot forged over cast, especially since most forged wheels say "forged" somewhere on them I'll weigh them as well, that's also usually a dead giveaway.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:12 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Originally Posted by rawhide
Does anyone know where the wheels are made? I know the tsw's are made in china which was a deal breaker for me, but don't know where the corvette or hre"s are made.
Factory Corvette Z51 wheels are made in China. HRE flow formed are made in Japan. I don't know where TSW wheels are made but I'm sure someone who has purchased them would know since it should be on the box or in the casting. I suspect China.

Here are the markings on the factory Z51 wheels.
Attached Images   

Last edited by mjw930; 06-09-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:13 PM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mjw930
Like I said, I thought the same thing having seen the same presentations over a year ago but all the latest literature, as well as the Chevy website no longer mentions forged, they simply state painted aluminum. Do you really think that if the production wheels are indeed forged GM wouldn't play that up in their literature????

It's not unheard of for specs to change from those May 2013 presentations Tadge and team did and September production.

If they are forged then their under $795 MSRP ($585 street price) makes them some of the least expensive forged OEM wheels I have ever seen. Most factory forged wheels are well over $1000 MSRP. My OEM Forged Jeep SRT wheels were $1495 each.

As to where HRE Flow Formed are made vs. TSW's, I stand corrected but either way it's the same process and TSW is a very respected wheel manufacturer but hey, if you want to contribute to HRE's profits then by all means pay twice the price plus over the TSW's for a cast wheel.

Personally, I purchased a 2nd set of Factory Z51 wheels to have refinished Hyper Silver/Black because I like the design, trust them to be a quality wheel but wanted a different finish. The wheels I bought will be here tomorrow so I'll take a close look and see, it's pretty easy to spot forged over cast, especially since most forged wheels say "forged" somewhere on them I'll weigh them as well, that's also usually a dead giveaway.
My BBS wheels on my M5 and M3 didn't say forged and I would say a mass produced wheel for $585 being forged is more likely than not. Custom made wheels may be $1,000 each but they also aren't mass produced. You can buy replacement BMW M wheels for that range or lower and are regularly sold for far less than that.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:26 PM
mjw930
Drifting

My BBS wheels on my M5 and M3 didn't say forged and I would say a mass produced wheel for $585 being forged is more likely than not. Custom made wheels may be $1,000 each but they also aren't mass produced. You can buy replacement BMW M wheels for that range or lower and are regularly sold for far less than that.
Life would be a lot easier if OEM's did like the aftermarket and stamped Forged into the wheels when they were forged.

I'll be at the factory Thursday picking up my car, I will make it a point to ask whoever I can whether the production Z51 wheels are indeed forged. It would be too funny if I got both answers....
Old 06-10-2014, 12:16 AM
48supertruck
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Yup. I raced my C6 at open road races and road tracks. Lots of Vettes of various years at those races. How many wheel failures did I see or even hear of? Not one. Ever.
Not true, I personally know of a gentleman who's cheaper made wheel on a high end car broke on the freeway and this guy is now in wheel chair paralyzed from the waist down. This wheel company went belly up and he is now a very rich man. I would rather have my legs then his money.

I also have had a "Boss" wheel crack in the middle of the barrel on my wife's Tahoe for no reason. These are cheap cast wheels and I got what I paid for. We are putting way more stresses on our Corvettes then these two instances.

Many people don't know that there is no D.O.T. Standards or official approval process in the United States for aftermarket wheels. The only certification for aftermarket wheels is TUV, and HRE Wheels is certified.

Last edited by 48supertruck; 06-10-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:57 AM
thedofuss
Drifting

Originally Posted by Glen e
we have nothing to fear but fear itself. im sure you will be just fine...if not let me know, we are all there for you.

Last edited by thedofuss; 06-10-2014 at 01:03 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:34 AM
azula
Instructor

I personally love the HRE P40 wheel.....but never will I spend 6 grand on a set of wheels....even if I could afford it.....and I can't. LOL

Get notified of new replies

To TSW vs. HRE

Old 06-10-2014, 09:32 AM
Dan12
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When's the last time you talked to anyone who ended up with a bent wheel from a pothole? I mean firsthand experience, not someone who told someone who heard it from someone?

I'm not a metallurgist, but I suspect a cast wheel would be more likely to break instead of bending. I could be wrong about that.
Bent cast or forged wheels are common. i've had a few. there are many places that will straignen bent wheels so they must be out there. I was just wondering how much more strenght (if any) you get from forged when it comes to pot holes?

He's a bent cast wheel:

Old 06-10-2014, 09:52 AM
OH07C6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
Factory Corvette Z51 wheels are made in China. HRE flow formed are made in Japan. I don't know where TSW wheels are made but I'm sure someone who has purchased them would know since it should be on the box or in the casting. I suspect China.

Here are the markings on the factory Z51 wheels.
My Z51 wheels are stamped as Taiwan...
Old 06-10-2014, 06:13 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Originally Posted by OH07C6
My Z51 wheels are stamped as Taiwan...
The Z51 set I just bought are stamped China, it's not uncommon to have multiple suppliers, especially with the shortage of Z51 parts. They are legit GM wheels.

Honestly, I can't decide if they are forged or cast but they are very well made. The spokes are actually quite thin, as is the barrel which is leaning me towards forged.

The fronts are 24 lbs, the rears are 27.4 lbs. Light but not as light as some forgings I've had.

Overall they are very nicely made, I'm impressed.

Quick Reply: TSW vs. HRE