C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front license plate - Zero cost removable plate (DIY)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 07:35 PM
dovervold
Melting Slicks

Received 232 Likes on 170 Posts

Default Front license plate - Zero cost removable plate (DIY)

Lovely Minnesota has the front license plate law. I had a ZIP removable bracket on my Z, but have not found a good option for the C7. I like the Aero plate because it goes on and off the grill with two quick plastic extenders. The problem is, you have four bolts holding the license plate on. So a quick 30 second job becomes a 3 minute job.

So drinking a beer last night, I put on my McGiver hat. I discovered that if you drill a 3/8" hole in the plate, you can fit a phillips screw driver through the plate and mount or dismount the aero bracket and plate in about 30 seconds (see hole near Eagle's beak).

I prefer to leave the plate off, but there are times when you want to pop it on and be safe. Best of both worlds:

The following users liked this post:
blkvet6 (04-06-2020)
Old 06-09-2014, 07:38 PM
Kicker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good one!
Old 06-09-2014, 07:44 PM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

And, can you be busted for drilling holes in the plate?
Old 06-09-2014, 08:01 PM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by dovervold
Lovely Minnesota has the front license plate law. I had a ZIP removable bracket on my Z, but have not found a good option for the C7. I like the Aero plate because it goes on and off the grill with two quick plastic extenders. The problem is, you have four bolts holding the license plate on. So a quick 30 second job becomes a 3 minute job.

So drinking a beer last night, I put on my McGiver hat. I discovered that if you drill a 3/8" hole in the plate, you can fit a phillips screw driver through the plate and mount or dismount the aero bracket and plate in about 30 seconds (see hole near Eagle's beak).

I prefer to leave the plate off, but there are times when you want to pop it on and be safe. Best of both worlds:

Well I have to say, I did the same exact thing about 6 months ago when my temp plate expired, I have a Texas plate and as far as the LEOs are concerned here there is a plate holes make no difference and they won't bother you, much less see the holes at a distance..

But the amazing thing is, I came up with this idea while drinking beer one evening so with moderation beer can make one very creative. Of course too much beer can make one the smartest person in the world then bad things happen.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:33 PM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

Good idea, I will try this after I get my plates tomorrow
Old 06-13-2019, 09:27 PM
Lowholer
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the Idea Dovervold! Have a beer on me! I have to mount a front plate on my 2019 zo6 and this looks good as any.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:01 PM
jtwin
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Message #20 shows where to mount the plate. When I remove the plastic cover there are to pre-drilled holes to mount the plate. What are other owners doing ?
Old 04-05-2020, 04:59 PM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 222 Likes on 154 Posts

Great idea Doug, will do this when I get my car out of storage
Old 04-06-2020, 08:15 PM
jaki30
Melting Slicks

Received 517 Likes on 303 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I did this years ago. The only difference is I went to one of
the big box stores and bought one of those reflective numbers/letters.
it matched the reflective background on my Virginia plate. Covered
the holes and you couldn’t tell the holes were there.

Last edited by jaki30; 04-06-2020 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-29-2023, 08:47 AM
EricC7
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Haven't used a front plate on my c7 for 5 years. Don't plan on a front plate fior my c8. I've never been stopped in the 46,000 miles I've driven.
Old 03-29-2023, 04:25 PM
squirrelchew
Burning Brakes

Received 555 Likes on 352 Posts

Downtown Minneapolis and the Deephaven area where cops are bored are the only two places I've been bothered for not having a front plate over the last 20 years. Food for thought.
Old 03-29-2023, 07:41 PM
dprestidge
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by dovervold

I did this and posted a few years back. Works great. Great minds think alike.
Old 03-30-2023, 09:09 AM
SounderMN
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by BRCC
~~~ snip ~~~~
But the amazing thing is, I came up with this idea while drinking beer one evening so with moderation beer can make one very creative. Of course too much beer can make one the smartest person in the world then bad things happen.
Said Cliff Clavin:
Well you see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo and when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive drinking of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

(I know it's not really from the show, but it still sounds like Cliff, and is often attributed to him.)

Get notified of new replies

To Front license plate - Zero cost removable plate (DIY)

Quick Reply: Front license plate - Zero cost removable plate (DIY)