Sponsored by:

Are my brakes warped?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 09:00 AM
VAmikeC7
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are my brakes warped?

Z51 with 3200 miles, whenever I come to a stop, from about 15 mph to 0, I feel like the car is kind of pulsing as it comes to a stop. There is zero vibration in the wheel or the pedal. It just feels like the brakes are clamping, letting off a tiny bit, then clamping. Using full force brakes (to test them/clean them), I don't feel this (probably because its just using the entire pad surface?).

What are your thoughts? The lack of ANY vibration doesn't tell me it's a warped rotor, but who knows. Hard to fully describe. Maybe it's normal?
Old 06-11-2014, 09:31 AM
TRC7
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VAmikeC7
Z51 with 3200 miles, whenever I come to a stop, from about 15 mph to 0, I feel like the car is kind of pulsing as it comes to a stop. There is zero vibration in the wheel or the pedal. It just feels like the brakes are clamping, letting off a tiny bit, then clamping. Using full force brakes (to test them/clean them), I don't feel this (probably because its just using the entire pad surface?).

What are your thoughts? The lack of ANY vibration doesn't tell me it's a warped rotor, but who knows. Hard to fully describe. Maybe it's normal?
VAMIKE,
Same here with 5800 miles. Going to dealer to check brakes and rotars next week. Will update after my appointment.
TRC7
Old 06-11-2014, 09:41 AM
GBGJR
Intermediate

Default warped brake

Originally Posted by TRC7
VAMIKE,
Same here with 5800 miles. Going to dealer to check brakes and rotars next week. Will update after my appointment.
TRC7
If the steering wheel shakes it's the front, if the pedal pulsates its the rear.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:36 AM
VAmikeC7
Racer

VAMIKE,
TRC7
Let me know what they say. I'll use your correspondence to follow up with my dealer after.

Can these rotors be turned once? I know when my father had his c6 z51, they turned the rotors once and there was no loss of performance or effect. I know the C7 Z51 rotors are different, but I wonder if the same holds true.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:52 AM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

Let me know what they say. I'll use your correspondence to follow up with my dealer after.

Can these rotors be turned once? I know when my father had his c6 z51, they turned the rotors once and there was no loss of performance or effect. I know the C7 Z51 rotors are different, but I wonder if the same holds true.
If the Z51 rotors are 2 piece, they're not supposed to be turned.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:59 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Mine started at around 4K miles, Got worse and worse and I finally took it in a 7K miles. They just replaced the rotors with brand new ones. At 11K I'm starting to feel a slight pulsation again.

No track days, no hard driving. I'm a Hybrid driver too so I coast to a stop and anticipate the red lights.

Had Z06 brakes on my C6 for 7 years and never had a issue with pulsating brakes.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:00 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Unless you have been tracking the car, I would be very surprised if you have warped rotors with just a few thousand street miles on them. Based upon your description, I would suspect the rotors may be glazed. If that is the case, lightly sand them with a fine emory cloth, pads too, then rebed the pads. Sometimes you can "break" the glaze with a couple of hard stops from 60 - 70 mph...might be worth try before you pull things apart.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:00 PM
pittperson
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

8,xxx miles and I get the slight bucking when coming to a stop too. Nothing in the pedal or steering wheel.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:07 PM
VAmikeC7
Racer

Originally Posted by pittperson

8,xxx miles and I get the slight bucking when coming to a stop too. Nothing in the pedal or steering wheel.
That's probably the best word to describe it--"bucking", and the no feeling of vibration in pedal or wheel.

I'll try rebedding them as mentioned above. Kind of a nuisance knowing its happening.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:39 PM
Dan12
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
Mine started at around 4K miles, Got worse and worse and I finally took it in a 7K miles. They just replaced the rotors with brand new ones. At 11K I'm starting to feel a slight pulsation again.

No track days, no hard driving. I'm a Hybrid driver too so I coast to a stop and anticipate the red lights.

Had Z06 brakes on my C6 for 7 years and never had a issue with pulsating brakes.
good to know they replace the rotors under warranty.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:27 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 502 Likes on 347 Posts

make sure they replace your pads as well...those should be replaced if the rotors are !!
Old 06-11-2014, 05:45 PM
bluvette2000
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If the lug nuts are tightened during PDI with an airgun they can be very unevenly torqued. This used to produce warping in earlier series. With my C5 I always hand torqued to 100 ft lbs and had no warp problems although warping was a very common issue. First thing I did when I got the C 7 home was hand torque the lugs. No trouble yet but still early. Strong believer in hand torquing!
Old 06-11-2014, 06:02 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by bluvette2000
If the lug nuts are tightened during PDI with an airgun they can be very unevenly torqued. This used to produce warping in earlier series. With my C5 I always hand torqued to 100 ft lbs and had no warp problems although warping was a very common issue. First thing I did when I got the C 7 home was hand torque the lugs. No trouble yet but still early. Strong believer in hand torquing!
I do this on ALL my cars. In fact, I rotate my own tires just to avoid the impact wrenches that mar aluminum wheels and lug nuts and, as you pointed out, warp rotors...
Old 06-11-2014, 06:48 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Here you go http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
Old 06-11-2014, 07:34 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by bluvette2000
Originally Posted by 4XLR8N
I do this on ALL my cars. In fact, I rotate my own tires just to avoid the impact wrenches that mar aluminum wheels and lug nuts and, as you pointed out, warp rotors...
Likewise for me. Once the car was home, I put on Gorilla locks and hand torqued every lug nut
Old 06-12-2014, 01:27 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Hey VAmikeC7,

I’m sorry that you have this concern with your brakes. It looks like you are asking the forum for some feedback, but might head to the dealership once TRC7 speaks with his dealer. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you decide to head in.

Austin J. (Assisting)
Chevrolet Customer Care

VAMIKE,
TRC7
Hi TRC7,

I see you are already planning on heading to the dealership for this braking issue. If you could let me know how the dealership visit goes, I’d appreciate it. If you have any questions before or after your visit, send a PM my way.

Austin J. (Assisting)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-12-2014, 04:06 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A dial indicator is all you need to find out. check the service manual to see the acceptable tolerance, of lateral runout. its pretty easy to do.

best of luck

Get notified of new replies

To Are my brakes warped?

Old 06-16-2014, 08:21 PM
GazUK
Advanced

I have this exact same issue, uncanny how described it since that is exactly what I feel:

"whenever I come to a stop, from about 15 mph to 0, I feel like the car is kind of pulsing as it comes to a stop" and "feels like the brakes are clamping, letting off a tiny bit, then clamping"

Very interested to hear what your dealer does, then I'll take mine in and ask for the same fix.

My vin is 3247.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:57 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Rotors don't warp on street cars. You have uneven pad deposits from mild and uneven braking.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
The following users liked this post:
Cliff8928 (07-10-2017)
Old 06-17-2014, 12:37 AM
PGSJOE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rotors on street cars do get warped my friend, fancy article or not.

Quick Reply: Are my brakes warped?