What Do Other Exotic Car Buyers Think Of The C7? Read This

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 07:17 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Default What Do Other Exotic Car Buyers Think Of The C7? Read This

This past Sunday was the http://theeleganceathershey.com/ This show is held at the Hotel Hershey in Pennsylvania. Each year 60 of the worlds best cars are invited to this show. The cars are set in the gardens behind the hotel. This show is like Pebble Beach.

Each year there is a vendor area that includes exotic car dealers. This year there were Ferrari, Maserati, Audi, Porsche, Tesla and others.

My good friend who owns Klick-Lewis Chevrolet asked me if I would like to answer questions about the 2014 Corvette at the show. We had a Black 3LT Coupe with Red interior, NPP, Chrome Wheels, Automatic MSRP $67,340.00 We also had a used 2013 60th Anniversary Convertible Grand Sport.

I talked to hundreds of people all day long. The number one question was Is this car only $67,000? What a bargain!!! Two guys who were looking at the car said to each other Why would somebody buy a 911 or an R8 when this car will eat it for lunch at half the price.

The interior was a big hit on the C7. If anybody asked I let them sit in the car to see how they fit. Most people loved the red interior.

I got asked a lot of questions about the ZO6 and several people said they have one on order or are going to order one.

Robert Lutz who is retired from GM stopped by the tent and talked to us for a half hour. Great guy!!!

I was surprised the only negative about the car was from a few Corvette owners still crying about the tail lamps looking Camaro. I asked do you know why they look like that? Nobody could answer. I showed them the air vents and explained how the air enters the vents on the rear fenders and exits at the taillights.

To the naysayers who think the car isn't selling and to the bargain hunters who think dealer should give it away. There is a whole lot of interest from people who don't know about Corvette Forum and think this car is priced way to low for what you get!!!
Old 06-18-2014, 07:35 PM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Great post Ed...it's interesting that some people just can't let go of the tail lights. I love them and have since day one.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:41 PM
noel48
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Eat an R8 for lunch?
Old 06-18-2014, 08:06 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 912 Likes on 476 Posts
Tech Contributor

I will echo what the OP wrote about getting out and talking to others about the corvette. Last week I worked 3 events for BMW that involved giving test drives of the new 4 series to people who come into the dealership.They run this every year and the dealer invites his whole customer base.

During many conversations, when the person was a true car person, the conversation got around to other cars they own and what we all like.I told many of them along with owning a BMW, I owned a C7. TO A MAN, they were very interested and approving of that. Many also owned a vette along with their BMW or other competitors. All wanted to know more and everyone had heard great things, and were flabbergasted at the price.All in all, it was a great time to talk cars and unlike here sometimes, the world loves this car - even other brand owners....

Last edited by Glen e; 06-18-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:09 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by noel48
Eat an R8 for lunch?
When the car is sitting in a display area, you can tell them anything you want.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:11 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

That is a good write up and you did an excellent job representing the car. BZ

It would have been fun to be there.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:22 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

The c7 isn't necessarily priced too low. It's just doing its job and exposing a lot of cars that are priced too high. This generation definitely seems to be a game changer for Corvette though. I hope they aren't listening to all this price talk. The Corvette's staple has always been it's relative affordability.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:49 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,357 Likes on 785 Posts

"other exotic car buyers"?
Old 06-18-2014, 08:52 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Woodson
You beat me to it.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:59 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
whoops, lol.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:08 PM
tractman
Drifting

Received 945 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
This past Sunday was the http://theeleganceathershey.com/ This show is held at the Hotel Hershey in Pennsylvania. Each year 60 of the worlds best cars are invited to this show. The cars are set in the gardens behind the hotel. This show is like Pebble Beach.

Each year there is a vendor area that includes exotic car dealers. This year there were Ferrari, Maserati, Audi, Porsche, Tesla and others.

My good friend who owns Klick-Lewis Chevrolet asked me if I would like to answer questions about the 2014 Corvette at the show. We had a Black 3LT Coupe with Red interior, NPP, Chrome Wheels, Automatic MSRP $67,340.00 We also had a used 2013 60th Anniversary Convertible Grand Sport.

I talked to hundreds of people all day long. The number one question was Is this car only $67,000? What a bargain!!! Two guys who were looking at the car said to each other Why would somebody buy a 911 or an R8 when this car will eat it for lunch at half the price.

The interior was a big hit on the C7. If anybody asked I let them sit in the car to see how they fit. Most people loved the red interior.

I got asked a lot of questions about the ZO6 and several people said they have one on order or are going to order one.

Robert Lutz who is retired from GM stopped by the tent and talked to us for a half hour. Great guy!!!

I was surprised the only negative about the car was from a few Corvette owners still crying about the tail lamps looking Camaro. I asked do you know why they look like that? Nobody could answer. I showed them the air vents and explained how the air enters the vents on the rear fenders and exits at the taillights.

To the naysayers who think the car isn't selling and to the bargain hunters who think dealer should give it away. There is a whole lot of interest from people who don't know about Corvette Forum and think this car is priced way to low for what you get!!!
Good job Corvette Ed......I enjoyed visiting with you! Klick-Lewis is awesome!
Old 06-18-2014, 09:18 PM
Caddylac10
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the writeup.

The C7 appeals to range of demographics that the C6 never came close to. There's a much broader range of opinion and perspective outside the traditional Corvette demographic. That's why the C7 appeals to people that would have never considered a Corvette in past. It meets the demands of global demographic.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:20 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Eat an R8 for lunch?
You know all R8's are not V10's, right?
In fact, a base or Z51 C7 will "eat an R8 for lunch" if it's the 4.2 V8.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...al-test-review

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...er-test-review

The V8 is 430hp and an anemic 317ft/lb of torque in a car that weighs over 3600#. They're not that fast.
S.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:22 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,232 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Great post Ed...it's interesting that some people just can't let go of the tail lights.
Amazing how many still continue to about the taillights. Time to get over it.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:47 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Amazing how many still continue to about the taillights. Time to get over it.
or not. pick something you don't like the looks of. get over it.

tell me you like it now.

does it work?
Old 06-18-2014, 09:50 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by senah
or not. pick something you don't like the looks of. get over it.

tell me you like it now.

does it work?
Don't buy one. Problem solved.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:07 PM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdm23
The c7 isn't necessarily priced too low. It's just doing its job and exposing a lot of cars that are priced too high. This generation definitely seems to be a game changer for Corvette though. I hope they aren't listening to all this price talk. The Corvette's staple has always been it's relative affordability.
Originally Posted by Caddylac10
Thanks for the writeup.

The C7 appeals to range of demographics that the C6 never came close to. There's a much broader range of opinion and perspective outside the traditional Corvette demographic. That's why the C7 appeals to people that would have never considered a Corvette in past. It meets the demands of global demographic.
Well said to both of you.

Get notified of new replies

To What Do Other Exotic Car Buyers Think Of The C7? Read This

Old 06-18-2014, 11:21 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Eat an R8 for lunch?
It certainly won't eat a 911 for lunch either, anyone making comments like that probably can't even afford the Vette, forget the other 2. Very immature comments IMO.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:29 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,911 Likes on 1,357 Posts

I was surprised the only negative about the car was from a few Corvette owners still crying about the tail lamps looking Camaro. I asked do you know why they look like that? Nobody could answer.
I broke out laughing when I read this. What Camaro are they referring to? 2013 had "half moon" taillights. The current one has rectangular. I think these people need to get a vision test down at the DMV before renewing their driver's licenses.

Michael
Old 06-18-2014, 11:37 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

....We had a Black 3LT Coupe with Red interior, NPP, Chrome Wheels, ....
i'm very glad to hear the red interior was a hit. I want to order a 2015 convertible in Night Race Blue with red interior and chrome wheels and some have suggested this might not be a good look and I've been reconsidering.

You've given me the confidence to stick to my original plan.

Quick Reply: What Do Other Exotic Car Buyers Think Of The C7? Read This