C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DA*N. no concave aftermarket wheels for C7??

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 02:53 AM
thedofuss
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DA*N. no concave aftermarket wheels for C7??

clearly, concave wheels provide the best look for the C7, among other things, creating the illusion of a wider bodied vehicle. i understand from a forum vendor that the C7 wheel well design precludes them from using wheels with any significant concavity--dissimilar from the C6. has anyone with any credibility heard this? is it true? vendor responses welcome as well.

now, hre has some decent wheels that appear concave, which they say will fit the C7. fit=?
Old 06-24-2014, 08:47 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

This is an excellent question.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:52 AM
sajonf
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's due to a very high offset wheel design which makes it difficult to fit a wheel with much concavity.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:54 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

this is correct. no lips.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:02 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 927 Likes on 485 Posts
Tech Contributor

its very clear when you take the wheel off and see where the face/bolts line up with the fender. Its gonna take a lot more "fender" like on a Z06 to get a concave wheel on the stock car. My rear wheel is about as good as it gets:

Last edited by Glen e; 06-24-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:04 AM
Hot Rod Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Any wheels with a lip will likely stick outside the fenders. Some wheel sellers like to call this the "aggressive" fit, but to me it's just wrong. The only way to get any lip at all is if the spokes curve back, taking away from the concave look you'd be trying to achieve.

Offset is identical to the standard C6, same problem existed there.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:02 AM
AZstingray
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgeline has some but they are pricey. I was looking into getting these before I bought the Z51 wheels. I was told these would fit the C7.

http://www.forgeline.com/products/co...oncave.html#q3
Old 06-24-2014, 10:06 AM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

It's simple math. The marketplace dictates that the base Corvette should only be so wide. Within that width GM has maxed out the suspension and brakes. The outstanding handling and road manners we enjoy in our C7s is the result of long control arms for optimum geometry and big Brembo monoblock calipers replacing the previous slimmer floating calipers. The most suspension that will fit under the car.

This max suspension width of the basic C7 allows the Z06 to not need excess offset for its wide wheels.

Nobody likes deep dish wheels better than me, I've owned a lot of them. They're really pretty. But if you see an all-new car design with deep wheels it means the designers left something on the table suspension-wise.

Those of us who simply must have deeper wheels will have to either buy a Z06 or wide fenders.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:06 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 927 Likes on 485 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by AZstingray
Forgeline has some but they are pricey. I was looking into getting these before I bought the Z51 wheels. I was told these would fit the C7.

http://www.forgeline.com/products/co...oncave.html#q3
They will fit, but you can't change the laws of physics and dimensions
On a c7, they will still look relatively flat... This fact had been posted by the guys that sell the HRE's...
Old 06-24-2014, 10:14 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Hey Doof....It's ok to say DAMN!
Old 06-24-2014, 10:26 AM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by thedofuss
clearly, concave wheels provide the best look for the C7

I just cringe when someone says, "Clearly" or "Obviously" or makes some statement as being a fact when it is really a matter of taste and opinion, individually specific. Just because I happen to like the flat or slightly convex look to the wheels on my car and don't see any need to change them, am I "wrong" or is my car "clearly" not up to snuff?

NO! It's the way I like it.

It's just like saying "Clearly, my wife is the best looking woman in the room and all the other women here should dress and wear their hair just like her."
Old 06-24-2014, 10:30 AM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

CCW will be using a new forging blank for it's upcoming C7 / 991 wheels that will give the illusion of concavity by bumping out from the rim then coming back into the hub. They need to do this for the C7 and new 991 due to caliper clearance issues on their 20" blanks which are flat surfaced.

Like it was mentioned before, unless you are doing fenders there's really not much that can be done to give a 79mm offset wheel any substantial outside lip.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:35 AM
FEEDMESLURPIES
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clearly, obviously, we need SPINNAZ for our Vettes!
Old 06-24-2014, 12:32 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Rad22
I just cringe when someone says, "Clearly" or "Obviously" or makes some statement as being a fact when it is really a matter of taste and opinion, individually specific. Just because I happen to like the flat or slightly convex look to the wheels on my car and don't see any need to change them, am I "wrong" or is my car "clearly" not up to snuff?

It's just like saying "Clearly, my wife is the best looking woman in the room and all the other women here should dress and wear their hair just like her."
what if her hair and dress are not the issue? then it WOULD be fact.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:40 PM
Mr Guns
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Todd
Any wheels with a lip will likely stick outside the fenders. Some wheel sellers like to call this the "aggressive" fit, but to me it's just wrong. The only way to get any lip at all is if the spokes curve back, taking away from the concave look you'd be trying to achieve.

Offset is identical to the standard C6, same problem existed there.
I wonder if C6 wheels that are made to clear Z06 brakes would work on the C7? There was a company making Z-force wheels for the C6 base and Z06, and the base wheels were supposed to clear the Z06 brakes if you had a brake upgrade. They looked like 1-piece copies of the 360 forged mesh 8.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:38 PM
azula
Instructor

Here are the offsets if anyone is wondering:

Base Model:
Front Wheels: 18" x 8.5" +56mm
Rear Wheels: 19" x 10" +79mm

With Z51 Package:
Front Wheels: 19" x 8.5" +56mm
Rear Wheels: 20" x 10" +79mm

Damn near flush in the back, smh.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:08 AM
thedofuss
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rad22

obviously, there is no way you would know this, but i always speak factually. if what i say is not a fact, i would say something like IMO, or IMHO, or some similarly clever technological term. having said that i am deeply upset that i caused you to actually cringe,even though your vehicle may not be properly wheeled.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:11 AM
thedofuss
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mr Guns
I wonder if C6 wheels that are made to clear Z06 brakes would work on the C7? There was a company making Z-force wheels for the C6 base and Z06, and the base wheels were supposed to clear the Z06 brakes if you had a brake upgrade. They looked like 1-piece copies of the 360 forged mesh 8.

i have been told by a vendor, that the c6 has more wheel well, and this is not a problem for that genre. i can not personally confirm that he/she is correct.

Get notified of new replies

To DA*N. no concave aftermarket wheels for C7??

Quick Reply: DA*N. no concave aftermarket wheels for C7??