Sponsored by:

I hate this clutch - it is too grabby!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 09:04 AM
Tulsaeasyrider
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Runs11s
I also posted this in the tech forum. This issue is ruining the ownership of this car for me.

I've owned and driven many high horsepower manual trans cars. My last one was a 600 Hp Gen IV Viper. I've driven C6Zs and even the ZR1 but NONE of the cars I've owned or driven grabs like the one in my C7!

No matter how smoothly I try to roll out the clutch pedal, it wants to grab almost all at once about 3-4" off the floor. It absolutely ruins the driving pleasure of this incredible car. This is ridiculous.

I've searched this in the forums under 'clutch' but haven't seen any other thread about this. I've talked to my dealer twice and he says it is normal.

I have about 1400 miles on my car and it has not improved since day 1.
Anyone else?

I HATE how this clutch engages.
This may vary from car to car, but my C7 Z51 M7 gave me the same impression. I've had 7 Corvettes and 4 were sticks; all were great except the new one. The clutch engagement was totally unacceptable. My dealer could offer no improvement either. I have sold the Stingray (via the Corvette Forum) and am waiting for my next one; ordered the automatic this time. Had the A6 in my '07 C6 and loved that car. There was a thread here some time back that addressed the swap-out of the clutch return spring on previous models for improved clutch engagement, but I couldn't see that it was an option on the C7. I hope you can improve your clutch situation soon.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:09 AM
Rich427
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 29 Posts

The clutch on my C7 vert is very smooth and has been from day one. It is much better than my C5Z, which is much better than my '69 big block with a Centerforce clutch!

I agree with the other comments, try to drive another C7 to compare. If you are near one of the large forum dealers, you might want to check with them to test drive a 7 speed that they might have in stock. Good luck!
Old 07-14-2014, 03:00 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Maybe someone in your area will stop by.You can switch cars with him for A minute or so.
I wasn't happy with the clutch for A week or 2. Either the clutch got better or I got use to it.
I was in A a parade the 4th.A lot of stop and go.I don't have problems.
Go start hunting for another C7.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:25 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Not to be insulting but I wonder if the OP is one of those "rev the crap outa the motor as you release the clutch" types.

Maybe the disks got partially glazed or otherwise roached?
Old 07-14-2014, 05:17 PM
Runs11s
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Not to be insulting but I wonder if the OP is one of those "rev the crap outa the motor as you release the clutch" types.

Maybe the disks got partially glazed or otherwise roached?
Uh, no. The car has been meticulously cared for and I've never done anything abusive to this car, not even a burnout.

I've got a lot of time in manual trans cars - I'm 60 years old - and have never once had to replace a clutch. I do not like to waste money for repairs based on abusing a vehicle.

The clutch is as new.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:00 PM
KayJay
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

OP - any "friction zone" feeling at all to let you know the clutch is engaging?
Old 07-14-2014, 08:54 PM
Runs11s
Pro

Originally Posted by KayJay
OP - any "friction zone" feeling at all to let you know the clutch is engaging?
Yes but it is a very narrow band. It's pretty much full on in a very short amount of travel. I'm taking it in later this week to a different dealer.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:22 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

As I mentioned previously, the only problem I've have is with the hill hold feature. The extra drag prior to the brake releasing has caused me to stall the engine a few times. Started watching the tach to determine if sufficient power is being applied, can't feel or hear exactly where I am. (applied brake seems to mess up the clutch/car feedback) It is not the clutch which is smooth and provides adequate feedback during normal applications. Learning curve?
Old 07-14-2014, 09:40 PM
rjcsue
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
As I mentioned previously, the only problem I've have is with the hill hold feature. The extra drag prior to the brake releasing has caused me to stall the engine a few times. Started watching the tach to determine if sufficient power is being applied, can't feel or hear exactly where I am. (applied brake seems to mess up the clutch/car feedback) It is not the clutch which is smooth and provides adequate feedback during normal applications. Learning curve?
What is the hill hold feature ?
Old 07-14-2014, 10:42 PM
Jbal
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Geesshhh! Well, compared to my 2 C6s, clutch on my C7 is smooth as silk or butter, whatever you might prefer.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:48 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

My vin is 04651.
mine is 3495...no issues...you need to find a competent mechanic to adjust what is an idiosyncratic problem with your car...
Old 07-14-2014, 11:59 PM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

I also posted this in the tech forum. This issue is ruining the ownership of this car for me.

I've owned and driven many high horsepower manual trans cars. My last one was a 600 Hp Gen IV Viper. I've driven C6Zs and even the ZR1 but NONE of the cars I've owned or driven grabs like the one in my C7!

No matter how smoothly I try to roll out the clutch pedal, it wants to grab almost all at once about 3-4" off the floor. It absolutely ruins the driving pleasure of this incredible car. This is ridiculous.

I've searched this in the forums under 'clutch' but haven't seen any other thread about this. I've talked to my dealer twice and he says it is normal.

Anyone else?

Are you using or not using rev matching ??? Or is the clutch too heavy or to light ?? My Z-51 is my 7th manual shift car and I think the clutch play ( amount of effort needed to go from one gear to the other ) has been different in each of the cars I v'e owned and would consider the C7 a heavy clutch and my old C5 vette slightly lighter !!! Wayne
Old 07-15-2014, 12:16 AM
Scottys78
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 07-15-2014, 12:23 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I think what you see here is that

1) Older Corvettes must have had some pretty crappy, grabby clutches -- which is why people who have previously owned Vettes defend the C7 clutch feel so much.

2) If you've driven a better clutch in other cars, then you know the difference.

But I do say this again --- the clutch does appear to get better over time. You have to hang in there a while. It, and the gearbox, are not just plug and play. Both take some getting used to.

Its not a terrible clutch. It's just too sensitive and at first takes some getting used to. There is very little slip area and it acts too much like an on/ off switch.

Last edited by Sin City; 07-15-2014 at 12:25 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:47 AM
Gr8ful
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same on/off switch type clutch. At 1550 miles it seems the same as new. Vin# 3385. I thought it was me and I have not driven another C7. Amazed by this car and love it anyway. OP please follow up with what the different dealer comes up with.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:12 AM
Scottys78
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I drive my C4 and never stall.... I have had a few embarrassing stalls in my C7.

And I've broken them loose a couple times unintentionally
Old 07-15-2014, 01:24 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City

1) Older Corvettes must have had some pretty crappy, grabby clutches -- which is why people who have previously owned Vettes defend the C7 clutch feel so much.

2) If you've driven a better clutch in other cars, then you know the difference.

But I do say this again --- the clutch does appear to get better over time. You have to hang in there a while. It, and the gearbox, are not just plug and play. Both take some getting used to.

Its not a terrible clutch. It's just too sensitive and at first takes some getting used to. There is very little slip area and it acts too much like an on/ off switch.
Between my '93 and '08 Vettes, drove std shift trucks for about 10 years. The C6 clutch did take a short time to get used to from the trucks where it was a more gradual engagement. The C7 clutch is different than the C6 and I think the dual clutch plates make it better. Got used to both quickly.

Get notified of new replies

To I hate this clutch - it is too grabby!

Old 07-15-2014, 05:59 AM
Runs11s
Pro

Originally Posted by Sin City

If you've driven a better clutch in other cars, then you know the difference.

Its not a terrible clutch. It's just too sensitive and at first takes some getting used to. There is very little slip area and it acts too much like an on/ off switch
Exactly. I've driven clutches with better linearity in the engagement threshhold but this is still a great car. It's just much more abrupt based on everything I've driven before, including several C6 Z06's and my previous Viper (which was an '08).
Old 07-15-2014, 06:51 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

My clutch has been one of the best I have ever driven, right from day 1.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:56 AM
snappy2u
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 32 Posts

Anyone else?

Definitely NOT normal
I only have 1200 miles but find the clutch easily to modulate and feather even in stop on go traffic without burning it and a lot of slipping.
You need to find a more knowledgeable dealer to inspect your clutch.
I can imagine your frustration, but don't be discouraged, when working as Chev. Engineers intended, this is a smooth and enjoyable unit!

Quick Reply: I hate this clutch - it is too grabby!