I hate this clutch - it is too grabby!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 07:11 AM
2vetteEd
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Runs11s
I also posted this in the tech forum. This issue is ruining the ownership of this car for me.

I've owned and driven many high horsepower manual trans cars. My last one was a 600 Hp Gen IV Viper. I've driven C6Zs and even the ZR1 but NONE of the cars I've owned or driven grabs like the one in my C7!

No matter how smoothly I try to roll out the clutch pedal, it wants to grab almost all at once about 3-4" off the floor. It absolutely ruins the driving pleasure of this incredible car. This is ridiculous.

I've searched this in the forums under 'clutch' but haven't seen any other thread about this. I've talked to my dealer twice and he says it is normal.

I have about 1400 miles on my car and it has not improved since day 1.
Anyone else?

I HATE how this clutch engages.
I didn't have quite the problem you did, but after driving my Premier Edition 7 spd for a couple of months, decided I'd made the wrong choice in transmissions. I live in South Florida and we have mucho too many cars, and too many traffic lights. More time is spent sitting at red lights than actually driving.

One evening I had a call from a sales manager friend of mine at a Miami dealership that sell a lot of Corvettes. He had a C7 3LT, Z51 with automatic transmission (same color as my PE), that he was willing to work out a trade.

I did end up paying a dealer transfer fee, title fee, and some other misc. stuff, but the two vettes where about equal in value, so we did a like for like trade, and I didn't pay any sales tax.

I'm now a very happy camper, and enjoy this convertible more then I ever thought I would.
Attached Images   

Last edited by 2vetteEd; 07-15-2014 at 07:13 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:24 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by rjcsue

What is the hill hold feature ?
On the manual seven speed transmission, the hill hold feature is a system that senses the angle of the car. The computer applies the brake to hold the car in place preventing it from moving (roll back). This allows the driver time to add power and engage the clutch when starting on a hill (relieves the drifting back stress factor).
Old 07-17-2014, 09:38 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

My experience is; the C7 is so smooth and quiet, I can't hear the engine or feel the clutch engage. (I have the stock exhaust, don't know if NPP sound would help?). THEN!!! I stall the engine (to much clutch application for the amount of applied power). This is further compounded as clutch engagement is tighter than my previous C6. I have started to monitor the tachometer to determine exactly when clutch engagement occurres. This procedure has been very successful. I have forgotten myself and occassionally revert back to C6 clutching with the resulting stalled engine.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:53 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Default About non NPP

Originally Posted by Larry/car
My experience is; the C7 is so smooth and quiet, I can't hear the engine or feel the clutch engage. (I have the stock exhaust, don't know if NPP sound would help?). THEN!!! I stall the engine (to much clutch application for the amount of applied power). This is further compounded as clutch engagement is tighter than my previous C6. I have started to monitor the tachometer to determine exactly when clutch engagement occurres. This procedure has been very successful. I have forgotten myself and occassionally revert back to C6 clutching with the resulting stalled engine.
Changing the subject just A little.Im having trouble with the non NPP.
I will be getting aftermarket soon.
About the clutch,on mine it was just learning it.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:05 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

The clutch is ok, it isn't my hearing either. Like I mentioned, watching the tachometer alerts me to clutch engagement. I never had any problem previously with any other car. Oh well, I can work around it.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:26 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
I had the same problem when I first got my C5. Engine was so quiet, I could hear the RPM drop or load when it started engaging. After a while, I got the feel of it, and everything has been fine since.

Michael
Old 07-17-2014, 10:09 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Just came back from going to dinner. The hill hold engaged on one grade and as I added power and clutch, you could definately feel the system release (a light brake screech). Sometimes the brake is applied harder than other times??? On another grade where I thought the system would engage, It didn't? The system isn't perfected, that's for sure. Monitoring the tachometer is the key. You will see the declining RPM before you hear the drop, by the time you hear it, to late to prevent stalling. I have not stalled the engine lately, learned how to live with hill hold.

Quick Reply: I hate this clutch - it is too grabby!