Sponsored by:

Broken seat emblem

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 10:22 PM
dr4carz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Broken seat emblem

Just wondering how the emblem on the seats are holding up. I have heard its very hard to replace them. I heard the entire seat cover needs to be replaced.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:30 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

There was a minor design change made fairly early on. The early cars had the emblem sitting flush on the seats. A change was made to recess them slightly. Not sure when the change was made, but my car built in January has the recessed emblems. There is a thread on this forum that has photos of both versions. Bottom line - problem seems to have been corrected unless you have one of the early builds.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:32 PM
48supertruck
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dr4carz
Just wondering how the emblem on the seats are holding up. I have heard its very hard to replace them. I heard the entire seat cover needs to be replaced.
Here ya go.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:42 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Passenger seat emblem broke on Day 2 of owning the car. It was replace under warranty on Day 3.

NO BIG DEAL.....
Old 07-22-2014, 11:10 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

Originally Posted by -CM-
It has been established on this forum that this is a first-year failure of the C7, and proves conclusively that this is the worst Corvette ever.

Oh,wait. There have been just a couple reports of this, caused by people somehow scraping the emblems while getting into the car. I don't think we ever heard of the solutions, because the threads always deteriorated to the point of being closed. (As I recall; I didn't search.)
Actually, I think it was resolved conclusively. The design was modified slightly as I stated in my previous post. The following shows the difference:

Originally Posted by jerich0
Finally got it replaced -under warranty- no less! It did take yet another day, the tech said that the 4.6 hour max for this job was more like double that. Lots of heat gun use, and tiny clips, drove him almost mad (it was his first), but he did a nice job.

So they had to replace the entire seat back cover, which he agreed with me that it was the craziest way to repair the emblem. The new cover matched the kalahari interior to a T, but an interesting observation, the emblem on the new cover seems to be more recessed than the original. here are 2 photos, first shows the new "recessed" emblem, and the other is from my passenger seat "original" emblem which pops out a bit. I donno if this is a side effect of the install, but if it's a design tweak, i think it will save me from a lot of grief! BTW, the adhesive used seems to be one of the foulest smelling thing i've had a wiff of, tech says it will take a couple of hours to dissipate, i have it open top in my garage to see if it will go away by the morning...

If late model VIN folks can take a look at your emblem and report back if it's more recessed, we can confirm that this was indeed a mid-stream fix!

recessed emblem from new seat back cover

original emblem on passenger seat back
Old 07-22-2014, 11:25 PM
MY70THAnv
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Actually, I think it was resolved conclusively. The design was modified slightly as I stated in my previous post. The following shows the difference:
Would like to have them done in Carbon Flash to match my emb.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:00 AM
JRBurn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vin 4956 and mine are recessed
Old 07-23-2014, 02:21 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

They should have been made of metal...

During the C7 launch when talking about the upgraded C7 interior, GM reps kept saying "if it looks like aluminum, it is aluminum".
Old 07-23-2014, 05:58 AM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dr4carz
hint,,, the lapel pin cross flag emb. matches perfect ,,hint, hint 7.99
Old 07-23-2014, 06:56 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Here is where the cheaper 1LT has an advantage. This option doesn't have the emblem. I havn't had any issues, (2LT vin #22487) this is an emblem that I could live without.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:13 PM
djseto
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my emblem replaced under warranty. Yes, the seat covers needs to be completely replaced. I think this is ridiculous that GM doesn't sell them as it's probably a 1 cent piece of plastic made in China that should snap back in.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:21 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by jr3

During the C7 launch when talking about the upgraded C7 interior, GM reps kept saying "if it looks like aluminum, it is aluminum".
I think it would have been better if they had been embroidered. Metal could do major damage to your or your clothing, unlike plastic which at least will break away.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:21 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by djseto
I've had my emblem replaced under warranty. Yes, the seat covers needs to be completely replaced. I think this is ridiculous that GM doesn't sell them as it's probably a 1 cent piece of plastic made in China that should snap back in.

I'm betting there's going to be more changes. From recessing the emblems to making them able to be replaced easily. Having to replace the entire seat cover is going to cost them big in warranty claims.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:08 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

I still don't know how anyone would hit the emblem getting into the car since it is up where your neck would be??
I never even come close, recessed or not.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:52 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
I still don't know how anyone would hit the emblem getting into the car since it is up where your neck would be??
I never even come close, recessed or not.
Well, people have done it.

It's a design flaw. Ironic that it exists only on the 2LT and 3Lt, where owners have paid extra for it.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:58 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by jr3

Should be more like, 'if its aluminum its a thin piece of aluminum sheet wrapped around plastic.'

Its better than painted plastic to look like aluminum I guess

Mine is around vin 7500 and they are recessed, I never get close them to them but I could see my wife getting a sweater or something caught on it. I certainly wouldnt complain if it wasnt there..

Get notified of new replies

To Broken seat emblem

Quick Reply: Broken seat emblem