Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Door Gremlins

Old 07-21-2014, 12:35 PM
zoomer96
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Garage Door Gremlins

Over the last two days, I've found my garage door open. I know that I had closed it when the car was put in the garage, but later found it open. After the second time, I deleted the Homelink programing in the car, assuming there was something odd with the original programming. Then, within an hour, the door went up again without anybody activating any of the buttons. Is anybody else experiencing problems like this?

This is a Craftsman model that's only a year and a half old and it has never exhibited this problem prior to parking the C7 in the garage. I've had the C7 less than a week.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:57 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by zoomer96
Over the last two days, I've found my garage door open. I know that I had closed it when the car was put in the garage, but later found it open. After the second time, I deleted the Homelink programing in the car, assuming there was something odd with the original programming. Then, within an hour, the door went up again without anybody activating any of the buttons. Is anybody else experiencing problems like this?

This is a Craftsman model that's only a year and a half old and it has never exhibited this problem prior to parking the C7 in the garage. I've had the C7 less than a week.
I'd also try deleting all the remote devices to the opener and relearning each of them and see if this helps. It may not be the new C7.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:15 PM
nh_mark
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I wonder if it could be interference with another electronic device in the area or even with a neighbors garage door opener.

-Mark

Last edited by nh_mark; 07-21-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:16 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I highly doubt it's the car. The first thing I would look at is the garage door opener switch. Try disconnecting it and see if that stops this. It could be someone in the area with a similar garage door opener but that is unlikely. Are you waiting for the door to close completely before you walk away? If the limit switch that senses the door being closed all the way is out of adjustment, than it could be that. I would reset the open and close settings if your garage door opener has those kinds of settings to program. I know my opener has programming for setting the open, close and slow down settings before it reaches the closed position. If those settings are not right, the door will automatically open once the door gets all the way down just as if something is blocking it.

It could also be a faulty controller board in the garage door opener itself. How old is the garage door opener?

Here are some threads from other sources reporting similar issues. There are lots of topics out there on this issue and none of them point to the cars remote being the root cause. Usually it's a stuck switch, a faulty board in the opener motor or another house on the same frequency.
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...0024361.html?3

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...0140234AAfUuYi

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/askt...172075,00.html

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...mber=13953919D

http://www.justanswer.com/home-impro...matically.html
Old 07-21-2014, 01:27 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by slief
or another house on the same frequency.

Had that happen to me years ago. Neighbor and I bought new openers, same brand and model, same time and both of us left the factory DIP switch settings so we kept opening and closing each others' door. It was a head scratcher for a couple days.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:38 PM
FEEDMESLURPIES
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't get the damned thing to pair up with my opener. I've tried it quite a few times, it never seems to take.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:43 PM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

HomeLink is a trickster.

We have a terrace above the separate single car garage where I keep my Corvette. There is a Casablanca remote control ceiling fan with lights up there. With my previous car, the HomeLink would turn on the fan and light every time I opened (or closed) the garage door. Oddly, the fan remote had no effect on the garage door.

Problem solved by wiping the HomeLink in the car clean of all codes and re-pairing.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:00 PM
zoomer96
Instructor

Originally Posted by slief
I highly doubt it's the car. The first thing I would look at is the garage door opener switch. Try disconnecting it and see if that stops this. It could be someone in the area with a similar garage door opener but that is unlikely. Are you waiting for the door to close completely before you walk away? If the limit switch that senses the door being closed all the way is out of adjustment, than it could be that. I would reset the open and close settings if your garage door opener has those kinds of settings to program. I know my opener has programming for setting the open, close and slow down settings before it reaches the closed position. If those settings are not right, the door will automatically open once the door gets all the way down just as if something is blocking it.

It could also be a faulty controller board in the garage door opener itself. How old is the garage door opener?

Here are some threads from other sources reporting similar issues. There are lots of topics out there on this issue and none of them point to the cars remote being the root cause. Usually it's a stuck switch, a faulty board in the opener motor or another house on the same frequency.
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...0024361.html?3

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...0140234AAfUuYi

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/askt...172075,00.html

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...mber=13953919D

http://www.justanswer.com/home-impro...matically.html
Thanks for all the tips. I'll investigate these. It's just strange that this didn't start happening until I brought the Vette home. The opener is a year and a half old. And yes..... it's a Sears Craftsman.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:21 PM
Jbal
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Have a fairly new Craftsman as well(about 2yrs old), & all has worked well with the C7.
Hope you cure the problem!
Old 07-21-2014, 02:23 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Across the street they left it open. I thought it was funny they had it open at near dark.
But when the block's corner's were covered with cops at 3 am and they and the cops were looking in the garage. It wasn't as funny I shoulda told them but too late then.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:49 AM
zoomer96
Instructor

Latest update.... Yesterday, I deleted all programing on the receiver and all the cars and transmitters. Then reprogrammed them all. So far, so good. Problem hasn't returned.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:49 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

ck out my thread ...93mi and car wont start .....found out it was the
r.f. signal . might be your answer in a way .
Old 07-22-2014, 04:09 PM
foreverfuelie
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts

As bizarre as this sounds, we had the same experience, as well as some of our neighbors doors didn't work at all with their remotes. We later found out that the military had been testing some new communications equipment in the area that was interfering with the remote signals. Also, word of caution, my sons (all Law Enforcement Officers) mentioned that in some cases, potential thieves cruse through neighborhoods, with remote "cloners" randomly checking what doors their devices will operate and return when it appears no one is home to reap the rewards. Sorry for the long sentence. Hope your problem is gone.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:32 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

the bat mobile has powers

Old 07-22-2014, 04:49 PM
GTFD2
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 143 Posts

Maybe your car was telling you it wanted to go fro a drive. Mine calls to me all the time.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:20 PM
Woody
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
First St Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Lifetime Member

Is the C7 opener a Home-link or Lear??

My C6 had the Lear.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:26 PM
Sallye M
22 Hypersonic Grey HTC
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 142 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Genie Garage Door opener tip link

Originally Posted by FEEDMESLURPIES
I can't get the damned thing to pair up with my opener. I've tried it quite a few times, it never seems to take.
If you have a Genie opener see this link from the Forum DIY, FAQ's and TIPS section. It helped me get my Genie opener to program in my C7.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...ie-solved.html

Get notified of new replies

To Garage Door Gremlins

Old 07-23-2014, 10:57 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Most newer openers have rolling codes so the chances of cross interference is.... no pun intended .... remote.

I bought a transmitter at Sears for $35 that attaches to the garage door and lets me know when the door is up. The receiver sits on the bedroom dresser...red light its up green light it is down. Well worth $35 to confirm the door is down.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:03 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by FEEDMESLURPIES
some of the new openers have a switch on the actual opener/motor unit - that has to be pressed during the pairing process.

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
I bought a transmitter at Sears for $35 that attaches to the garage door and lets me know when the door is up. The receiver sits on the bedroom dresser...red light its up green light it is down. Well worth $35 to confirm the door is down.
thanks for the tip !
Old 07-23-2014, 11:18 AM
gregb1812
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have the homelink and found our garage doors (2) open randomly. Sometimes just one of them and sometimes both. I wondered if someone was driving up and down the street scanning frequencies to see if they could gain entry and then come back in the middle of the night to do badness.

I now press the "lock" button on each of the doors every night before I go to bed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Garage Door Gremlins