Sponsored by:

The more I read the more I think I need

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 04:56 PM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts
Default The more I read the more I think I need

Okay, after reading a number of posts, I think I will opt for some of the extra warranties.

Tire Warranty....cost? Covers what? For how long?

GM Warranty to extend the 3 yr 36 K Bumper to bumper to 5 year 60K (Hyundai coverage), Cost at time of purchase?

Are these standard prices across the board or do dealer influence pricing to increase profits?

The C7 has way too much technology not to have extra coverage. $600 a pop for a tire My luck to be following a nail delivery truck sowing ten pennies like chicken feed.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:07 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

The tires aren't $600 a pop. Plus, it's a little smarter to wait to buy the GM extended warranty. It may be a little higher but you'll get more years of coverage that way. If you buy it in the beginning that coverage is actually overlapping your factory warranty.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:10 PM
Quick99
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Having had two flats in the first three weeks I suggest that you go to Discount Tire and buy the Road Hazard Warranty for all four tires. Here in Georgia I paid $146.00 for the warranty which is good until the thread depth reaches the wear bar on the tires...

Extended GMPP warranty is also a must. Most members wait till the car is 11 months old and we purchase it from Fitchner Chevy in MT.. Best price by far...

Good luck with the car, its a great machine..
Old 07-21-2014, 05:13 PM
Quick99
Racer

Just noticed your location.. way back in the day we lived in Aiken at the Hounds Lake Country Club. Enjoyed our time there before moving to Michigan, yes I froze my butt off...
Old 07-21-2014, 05:16 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Quick99, what all is covered under the road hazard warranty from Discount Tire?
Old 07-21-2014, 05:25 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not Quick99 but have used that Discount Tires warranty several times. If the tire is repairable it will not be replaced but if it is not repairable it is replaced if within the miles/tread requirement.

The only charge was for a warranty on the new tire which of course need not be bought but why would one not?

Laborsmith

Last edited by laborsmith; 07-21-2014 at 06:08 PM. Reason: add "Discount Tires" to first sentence
Old 07-21-2014, 05:34 PM
Radioman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

You might want to consider your insurance company.

For example, GEICO offers Mechanical Breakdown Insurance for about $50 on a six month policy. Good until the car is 7 years old or 100K miles whichever comes first.

Only downside I see is the $100 deductible and you have to file a claim (phone/online) prior to any repairs. Coverage is excellent covering bumper-to-bumper.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:53 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,099 Likes on 852 Posts

Consult this guy.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=3462878
Old 07-22-2014, 02:14 AM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by 6GenVettes
Yep, Ken Fichtner is the guy to see and the place to go.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:31 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

if a C7 is a daily driver, and the owner intends to keep the car past the mfgrs warranty period; I'd consider an extended warranty as well.

One reason you see a lot of 3-4 year old used Mercedes and BMW's for sale is that the original owners dump the cars just before the original warranty expires. For them; it's not much for fear of repeated mechanical failure; but more the co$t of non-warranty repairs.

If you go to purchase one of these used cars (including used C6 & C7's )... it would be wise to get an extended warranty.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:04 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
if a C7 is a daily driver, and the owner intends to keep the car past the mfgrs warranty period; I'd consider an extended warranty as well.

One reason you see a lot of 3-4 year old used Mercedes and BMW's for sale is that the original owners dump the cars just before the original warranty expires. For them; it's not much for fear of repeated mechanical failure; but more the co$t of non-warranty repairs.

If you go to purchase one of these used cars (including used C6 & C7's )... it would be wise to get an extended warranty.
Exactly my thoughts. This is likely my last Corvette purchase and will remain in my position until they bury me in it.

I expect to put no more than 5K on it a year, but want every year I own it to be worry free (especially with all the technology built into the C7)

I know that some dealerships offer complete maintenance packages when you purchase the car (where all scheduled maintenance is covered). I did this with the last car I owned (buying the service up front for 3 years saved me about 40% over paying as I go). Oil,filter, tranny flushes, coolant, filters, etc., not a bad deal overall.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:14 AM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
Okay, after reading a number of posts, I think I will opt for some of the extra warranties.

Tire Warranty....cost? Covers what? For how long?

GM Warranty to extend the 3 yr 36 K Bumper to bumper to 5 year 60K (Hyundai coverage), Cost at time of purchase?

Are these standard prices across the board or do dealer influence pricing to increase profits?

The C7 has way too much technology not to have extra coverage. $600 a pop for a tire My luck to be following a nail delivery truck sowing ten pennies like chicken feed.
MIne was 7 year/50k for $1500 from dealer ( KC) bumper to bumper no deductible good from any ASE shop ( my local chevy dealer Sumner Washington) I buy my tires from Discount Tires and my other car ( new last year ) was fixed for free 4 months ago ( nail in tire ) !!!! Wayne
Old 07-22-2014, 10:26 AM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts
Default I Agree and bought the warranty

Exactly my thoughts. This is likely my last Corvette purchase and will remain in my position until they bury me in it.

I expect to put no more than 5K on it a year, but want every year I own it to be worry free (especially with all the technology built into the C7)

I know that some dealerships offer complete maintenance packages when you purchase the car (where all scheduled maintenance is covered). I did this with the last car I owned (buying the service up front for 3 years saved me about 40% over paying as I go). Oil,filter, tranny flushes, coolant, filters, etc., not a bad deal overall.
My C7 will also likely be my last sports car. Yes, I'll buy other cars, probably an SUV in the next year, but the V8 manual sports car is becoming rarer by the year. I plan on holding on to mine until one of my sons talks me out of it, and that is a long way down the road. As for the warranty, I got the wheel/tire warranty from my selling dealer when I purchased the car, and bought the Chevrolet Protection plan from Ken Fichtner a few months back. While I realize that by waiting you can extend the warranty, Ken gave Forum members a great prices, so I pulled the trigger on a zero deductible bumper-to-bumper 6 yr/72k extended warranty. I only drive my baby around 5k a year now, but am hoping to use it more in the coming years.

I think the drivetrain will be very reliable (an GM warrants it as such), but who knows with all the electronics? I don't want to be on the hook for a new DIC or NAV, HUD or anything else. I figured it was easier to pay now and not worry for the next 6 years.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:32 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jimbob26

I think the drivetrain will be very reliable (an GM warrants it as such), but who knows with all the electronics? I don't want to be on the hook for a new DIC or NAV, HUD or anything else. I figured it was easier to pay now and not worry for the next 6 years.
AMEN Brother!
Old 07-22-2014, 11:15 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

the wife bought a used 3 yo SRX; it had a touchscreen radio/NAV, all-wheel-drive, huge powered sunroof, about 8-9 computer modules scattered throughout the car, and a 4 valve/cyl engine.

you bet we got the extended warranty. This specific extended warranty (I think it was through GM... maybe not) was a no brainer; in that you paid like $150 up front, and then a monthly amount from there. If you sold the car before using up all the extended warranty... you simply called them and stopped paying the monthly payment on the ext. warranty.

Note: for those getting their new C7 from an out-of state dealer, but want to get on the good-side of the local dealer (who will probably be asked to handle any initial warranty work)... here's a tip:

buy the extended warranty through your local dealer. They now have a business relationship with you on that car.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:24 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
the wife bought a used 3 yo SRX; it had a touchscreen radio/NAV, all-wheel-drive, huge powered sunroof, about 8-9 computer modules scattered throughout the car, and a 4 valve/cyl engine.

you bet we got the extended warranty. This specific extended warranty (I think it was through GM... maybe not) was a no brainer; in that you paid like $150 up front, and then a monthly amount from there. If you sold the car before using up all the extended warranty... you simply called them and stopped paying the monthly payment on the ext. warranty.

Note: for those getting their new C7 from an out-of state dealer, but want to get on the good-side of the local dealer (who will probably be asked to handle any initial warranty work)... here's a tip:

buy the extended warranty through your local dealer. They now have a business relationship with you on that car.

Certainly sounds like sage advice to me. Hopefully will be doing the deal locally anyway so that won't be an issue.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:58 PM
c7neb
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by FunDriver
Yep, Ken Fichtner is the guy to see and the place to go.
I'm going to check it out! Thanks!
Old 07-23-2014, 08:27 PM
Quick99
Racer

Originally Posted by Mdm23
Quick99, what all is covered under the road hazard warranty from Discount Tire?
I suspect you have already gotten your answer from other members.
But, just in case.. the Discount Tire Road Hazard Warranty will replace any covered tire with a tread depth greater than the ware bar, at no cost to you IF they cannot repair the tire !

Go to their web site or better yet stop in at a local store..

Good luck
Old 07-24-2014, 02:11 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,980 Likes on 2,880 Posts

If you're only putting 5K a year on it, you're better off with the GM factory extended warranty, and the Discount Tire certificates for your tires.

Get notified of new replies

To The more I read the more I think I need

Quick Reply: The more I read the more I think I need