Sponsored by:

Thanks to everyone that commented about my local dealer

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 01:21 PM
Joegovette
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Thanks to everyone that commented about my local dealer

A little background on my situation. My local dealer wanted $5000 just to order my car, but they were going to accept supplier pricing. Everyone on here commented that it was a high amount for an order. I had a friend that ordered a new Z28 at this dealer. It arrived with 4 miles on the odometer. He arrived to pick it up, and found a guy in the garage revving his car. The mileage was also at 14 miles. It seems small to most people, but I understand him being irritated. He was very particular on his car. The local dealer here went against his wishes on a lot of issues. It made me question this dealer a whole lot. I decided to order my car from Dennis at Les Stanford. I am only on the wait list, but Dennis seems to be a great guy from what all of you have said! Thank you all for great advice! I am going to have museum delivery with my dad, brother, and an old friend.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:03 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

You made a wise decision. But also, the extra mileage on the Z/28 isn't alarming unless your friend specified he didn't want it driven. The pdi often calls for you to drive the car. I would've been pissed about the revving too though, if it was excessive.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:45 PM
Joegovette
Pro

Originally Posted by Mdm23
You made a wise decision. But also, the extra mileage on the Z/28 isn't alarming unless your friend specified he didn't want it driven. The pdi often calls for you to drive the car. I would've been pissed about the revving too though, if it was excessive.
He requested that the car wasn't to be detailed or touched. Which is the same thing that I would request with my C7.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:56 PM
need4speedmotors
Supporting Vendor

Received 190 Likes on 182 Posts

My mind would worry about what happened in those 10 miles. I would speak to the representatives and if they weren't hiding the fact from me I would be fine with it.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:13 PM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I was informed years ago by a very close friend that he spotted my then current model year Corvette at a high rate of speed going across a bridge a few miles from a Chevrolet dealership. And guess whose Corvette was in for warranty work that day? Yep! There was absolutely no need for them to drive the car other than to move it in/out of the shop. Sadly, it happens.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:59 PM
USe-car
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Joegovette
A little background on my situation. My local dealer wanted $5000 just to order my car, but they were going to accept supplier pricing. Everyone on here commented that it was a high amount for an order. I had a friend that ordered a new Z28 at this dealer. It arrived with 4 miles on the odometer. He arrived to pick it up, and found a guy in the garage revving his car. The mileage was also at 14 miles. It seems small to most people, but I understand him being irritated. He was very particular on his car. The local dealer here went against his wishes on a lot of issues. It made me question this dealer a whole lot. I decided to order my car from Dennis at Les Stanford. I am only on the wait list, but Dennis seems to be a great guy from what all of you have said! Thank you all for great advice! I am going to have museum delivery with my dad, brother, and an old friend.
I see where you are located. Was that dealer Galles?
Old 07-23-2014, 04:08 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

He requested that the car wasn't to be detailed or touched. Which is the same thing that I would request with my C7.
However, with the Museum Delivery, you will have probably the best team of experts working on prepping your car for you in the nation! That is high praise since I've seen some other good ones, but let's face it: that is ALL the Museum car prep staff work on---Corvettes---and they have some very particular customers coming through who are willing to take the time to look over their car. It has to be right. And it is. You made a wise decision on all counts imo.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:16 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
However, with the Museum Delivery, you will have probably the best team of experts working on prepping your car for you in the nation!
I picked mine up at the NCM a week ago and it was spotless.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:20 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,517 Likes on 2,319 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Good move! Les Stanford treated me quite well with both my 2012 and 2013 Corvette purchases.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:26 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I had a friend that ordered a new Z28 at this dealer. It arrived with 4 miles on the odometer. He arrived to pick it up, and found a guy in the garage revving his car. The mileage was also at 14 miles.
I would be very, very pissed. Doing this to someone's $70,000 Camaro? This is the problem when getting a Chevy, all the numb-nutz's working there.

Is this a picture of Mr. Rev Happy at the dealership? He probably just got done doing a PDI on this truck.

Good move, getting it from another dealer.

Michael

Last edited by Michael A; 07-23-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:14 PM
Joegovette
Pro

Originally Posted by USe-car
I see where you are located. Was that dealer Galles?
No, it wasn't Galles. They usually overprice everything with extra price increases. I bought my 2010 GS from Casa, and they failed to pay off my trade in for 3 months so no business for them either. The only other dealer is very unReliable, and they don't seem to know what is going on with Supplier pricing or ordering convertibles.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:18 PM
Joegovette
Pro

Originally Posted by AORoads
However, with the Museum Delivery, you will have probably the best team of experts working on prepping your car for you in the nation! That is high praise since I've seen some other good ones, but let's face it: that is ALL the Museum car prep staff work on---Corvettes---and they have some very particular customers coming through who are willing to take the time to look over their car. It has to be right. And it is. You made a wise decision on all counts imo.
I agree the museum is a different place to have your car prepped. I have no problem with those people getting the car ready. Dealerships just don't take pride in their work like I am sure the museum people do.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:52 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdm23
It doesn't "call" for you to drive it...I saw a cell phone pic from a salesman on a Corvette that showed 160 on the speedo...on a brand new not yet sold car...

its true they might drive them but they are for certain not required too...
Old 07-23-2014, 11:31 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You made the right choice. Those 10 miles on the Z28 are very troubling especially in light of his finding them revving the engine. Add to this the fact that the dealer went against many of the buyers wishes.

The dealer is not required to drive a new car as a part of PDI. This is all done in Bowling Green. My guess is that car was doing 100+ mph before it was picked up.

Dealers like this don't deserve business, and this kind of behavior should be reported to GM.

Last new car I bought (2012 -- Jeep GC) was followed by 2 online surveys quizzing me about my dealer experience. The dealer told me these were coming and was clearly concerned about my answering them as a satisfied customer. I think this kind of follow-up will put an end to things like 160mph PDI. There is no shortage of Big 3 car dealers and all of them will take dealerships away from failing dealers. I've had some professional dealings with Chrysler/Jeep doing just that several years ago.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:39 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by dwward
You made the right choice. Those 10 miles on the Z28 are very troubling especially in light of his finding them revving the engine.
especially on a new car that was already sold; it wasn't an inventory model.

And about the 10 miles; think about it. That 10 miles probably took -at least - 20 minutes of time... maybe more.

Imagine being at the dealership for delivery, and right before you are to get in the car and take it home... the service manager says:

"one of my mechanics - who would never be able to afford this car - is going to take it on a 10 mile joy ride"... and off it goes. Imagine every minute that passes, with your new $70k gone from site, wondering what this dude is doing to your car

Get notified of new replies

To Thanks to everyone that commented about my local dealer

Quick Reply: Thanks to everyone that commented about my local dealer