Sponsored by:

My Mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 09:26 PM
RichardLord
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Mods

I have made several mods, and even reversed one - that last.
The following are my mods and some with pics. While I shall list my OEM mods, I shall not show them. Some mods are OEM, and others are not.
Glen e wisely suggested to me some time ago that mods, if not OEM, should appear as such, and be OEM quality. I took that advice. With one minor mod exception, that I got from Z51Stingray, that does not appear OEM, but is great.
My mods:
1. OEM Corvette Tire Valve Stem Covers
2. OEM Stingray Trunk Bed Cover
3. Non-OEM Carbon Fiber Rear License Plate Border Cover (not really worth it as it is hard to discern, unless you get it for a low price, as I did).
4. Non-OEM License plate sticker
These mods I made all by me, myself, and I (this is a great opportunity for snide remarks – don’t miss it).
5. I followed the advice by Z51Stingray, and others, and changed out myself the Maryland required front license plate bracket with the OEM Aero Plate, with my personalized plate, and with Z51Stingray’s great mod of skull license plate bolt covers. Mine have red eyes to match my C7 exterior color. This is the obviously non-OEM mod, but is great. I am sure others shall disagree. This actually took some creativity and work, as in drilling, to accomplish.
The remaining mods I had my dealer make at a cost of $800. My dealer, Winegardner, said it would make these mods at a reduced labor cost to compensate me by $332 to make up the difference for the remaining amount GM screwed (actually Winegardner) me in shorting me on Price Protection. You all say Winegardner screwed me, not GM, and while no augment from me, we shall not revisit that, and you decide if my dealer made up the $332 that it says GM screwed me.
First, I purchased from the Winegardner Parts Department, and its Service Department installed:
6. OEM Front and Rear Splash Guards
7. OEM Stingray Trunk Lid Liner (could have installed myself)
8. OEM Stingray Under Hood Liner (could have installed myself)
And non-OEM parts that I supplied:
9. Two peal-and-stick non-OEM Z51 badges that took maybe 5 minutes each side to install for $80. I could and would have installed them myself, as anyone could, but I wanted to see what Winegardner charged me.
10. Non-OEM Carbon Fiber Tape to cover the front grill chrome “retainer” strip.
11. Lashway Carbon Fiber Side Skirts and Front Splitter that were simple bolt-ons and required no cutting or drilling.
12. Hurst Shifter that takes no more than 2 ½ hrs. to install (I later took out the Hurst shifter and had another mod specialty shop reinstall the OEM shifter for $200).
As for the Hurst shifter, while advertised as having a 30% throw reduction it did not shift as easily or as true as the OEM (for me and maybe different for you). With all things being equal or better with the Hurst, so I hoped, what I really wanted from the Hurst was the black ball as opposed to the golf club handle of the OEM. What I really don’t like about the OEM shifter is the two rows of stitching on the back side of the shifter head. I shift a lot, and with the palm and heal of my hand, and the stitching is an irritant to my hand such as I notice it at the heal of my hand, which one should not. I like a ball as it far less restricts wrist and hand movement. I like the feel of a ball and that it allows free movement of the wrist and hand whereas the golf club style handle restricts movement – but that maybe is just me going back to my youth when I shifted a Hurst 4-on-the-floor with ball handle. As a compromise, I ordered a black ball non-OEM shifter handle to replace the OEM. I did love the Hurst black ball in feel, but not its shifting capabilities. The OEM shifter was specifically designed for the C7, and the shifting is great, but shall be better yet with a black ball.
The following are my mod pics.
Attached Images       

Last edited by RichardLord; 07-27-2014 at 04:41 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:31 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,753 Likes on 4,182 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Looks good, Richard. Nicely done.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:33 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 935 Likes on 489 Posts
Tech Contributor

Agreed, a very nice set of mods....
Old 07-26-2014, 10:16 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,307 Likes on 13,978 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Very nice bunch of mods you've done so far.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:16 PM
Mfserge
Safety Car

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Well done!!! I like what you've done however, I don't like the Z51 badges, I think they look out of place above the fishies. I would like to put that badge inside my coupe above the arm rest, similar to have the verts have the flag logo on the waterfall.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:09 AM
RichardLord
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mfserge
Well done!!! I like what you've done however, I don't like the Z51 badges, I think they look out of place above the fishies. I would like to put that badge inside my coupe above the arm rest, similar to have the verts have the flag logo on the waterfall.
Thought long about the badges. Felt it needed one somewhere on the outside that identified it as a Z51. The Stingray badge area seemed like a good place to put it identifying it as a Z51 Stingray. A Chevy Z71 truck tells you in no uncertain terms it is a Z71 in all sorts of places. There are a few telltale signs that a Z51 is a Z51, like the rear spoiler, but a non Z51 can also have the Z51 spoiler. Comes in black and red.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:57 AM
2CRUZIN
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice Richard. Fish & Z51 sticker in same area too close, too busy. I would remove one or the other but thats just my opinion. Really nice looking Vette.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:15 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 2CRUZIN
Very nice Richard. Fish & Z51 sticker in same area too close, too busy. I would remove one or the other but thats just my opinion. Really nice looking Vette.

If you must use the Z51 badges, consider placing them on the hood on each side, just below the stinger stripe, about a foot in front of the windshield. Or in aposition that looks the best to you.

Nice list of mods
Old 07-27-2014, 07:41 AM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Nice job with the mods
Old 07-27-2014, 07:48 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,535 Posts

toss the side badges
Old 07-27-2014, 09:21 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

It is your car, so enjoy (don't let others impact your fun).
Old 07-27-2014, 09:45 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Nice looking car, but gotta agree with others; toss the Z51 badges. And the skulls on the license plate frames.

Aren't you afraid of the personalized plates attracting attention from, um, the wrong kind of people?
Old 07-27-2014, 10:46 AM
dovervold
Melting Slicks

Received 232 Likes on 170 Posts

Well done!!! And I agree with you, letting the world know your car is a Z51 is not a bad thing. It is a true performance package that is worthy of a badge or two. I opted for the rear bumber, and put the other one on my tool chest

Old 07-27-2014, 10:57 AM
RichardLord
Advanced

The badge is not exactly where I wanted it placed, could be a bit further away, but it does look better, good (to me) in person. Pic does not quite show it that well. I like the fact it identifies my C7 as a Z51. Eventually, it may get an OEM badge, and when it does, I'll get that and place it where Chevy places it.

Putting it on the hood is an interesting idea. I just think it needs one somewhere on the car exterior, like the Z71 Truck, although more subtle.

As Glen e said to me, as long as it looks like it could be OEM and is OEM quality, go for it.
Not 100% on it myself, but it looks more and more right as I get used to it. I am liking it more and more, and as most of you say, that is what matters.

As for the skulls, as I have to have a front license plate, dress it up a bit.

At this point, other than painting the Aero Plate, I am done with my exterior mods, with maybe some cosmetics under the hood.

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited by RichardLord; 07-27-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:58 AM
RichardLord
Advanced

Originally Posted by dovervold
Well done!!! And I agree with you, letting the world know your car is a Z51 is not a bad thing. It is a true performance package that is worthy of a badge or two. I opted for the rear bumber, and put the other one on my tool chest

I like the rear bumper

Golly, your C7 looks like the hardtop version my C7, side skirts and all.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:10 AM
RichardLord
Advanced

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Nice looking car, but gotta agree with others; toss the Z51 badges. And the skulls on the license plate frames.

Aren't you afraid of the personalized plates attracting attention from, um, the wrong kind of people?
Not concerned about attracting the wrong kind of attention, although I see why you brought that up. Probably will not drive where it could attract the wrong kind of attention. Still proudly wear my ICE shirts. Have an ICE sticker on my other car with no problems, although someone spit nasty on that car once. Interested in attracting the notice of the right kind of attention when most needed. I occasionally get a toot or flash from a constabulary in following me or in passing me - that is the right kind of attention

Last edited by RichardLord; 07-27-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:14 AM
dovervold
Melting Slicks

Received 232 Likes on 170 Posts

Hey thanks... One more idea, just get rid of the fish and leave the Z51 badges. Here is what she looks like, no fishy....

Get notified of new replies

To My Mods

Old 07-27-2014, 11:48 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Fish came off within hours of arriving home.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:51 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 935 Likes on 489 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
Fish came off within hours of arriving home.
exactly....I actually goo gone' d them at delivery....LOL
Old 07-27-2014, 01:07 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardLord
I have made several mods, and even reversed one - that last.
The following are my mods and some with pics. While I shall list my OEM mods, I shall not show them. Some mods are OEM, and others are not.

12. Hurst Shifter that takes no more than 2 ½ hrs. to install (I later took out the Hurst shifter and had another mod specialty shop reinstall the OEM shifter for $200).
As for the Hurst shifter, while advertised as having a 30% throw reduction it did not shift as easily or as true as the OEM (for me and maybe different for you). With all things being equal or better with the Hurst, so I hoped, what I really wanted from the Hurst was the black ball as opposed to the golf club handle of the OEM. What I really don’t like about the OEM shifter is the two rows of stitching on the back side of the shifter head. I shift a lot, and with the palm and heal of my hand, and the stitching is an irritant to my hand such as I notice it at the heal of my hand, which one should not. I like a ball as it far less restricts wrist and hand movement. I like the feel of a ball and that it allows free movement of the wrist and hand whereas the golf club style handle restricts movement – but that maybe is just me going back to my youth when I shifted a Hurst 4-on-the-floor with ball handle. As a compromise, I ordered a black ball non-OEM shifter handle to replace the OEM. I did love the Hurst black ball in feel, but not its shifting capabilities. The OEM shifter was specifically designed for the C7, and the shifting is great, but shall be better yet with a black ball.
Believe you'll like the Black cue ball ****. I love the feel of mine. It shortens the throw by about 11% because it is shorter.

Black **** with Stingray

Quick Reply: My Mods