Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TomTom Nav Setup Behind Radio Display Screen

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 10:10 PM
monicatomokc
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 153 Posts

Thanks everyone for the kind words. AFVETTE - I'm a USAF Vet myself; 24 years and retired July 1993. Followed your post on when you picked up LRG baby. Hope you're feeling better.

Just noticed that my pic of the satellite coverage has the coordinates of my garage. Hope no one calls in an airstrike to be mean...
Old 08-01-2014, 07:45 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by monicatomokc
Thanks everyone for the kind words. AFVETTE - I'm a USAF Vet myself; 24 years and retired July 1993. Followed your post on when you picked up LRG baby. Hope you're feeling better.

Just noticed that my pic of the satellite coverage has the coordinates of my garage. Hope no one calls in an airstrike to be mean...
The CIA already had drones up. Small world I retired in 1993, my last day was June 30th. 22 years.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:02 AM
cmicasa
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I use the C7 Nav all the time and it gets me where I need to go in MD, DC, VA, and PA. I will say that if that were to be an issue.. My Android Google Maps is displayed on a 4.3 inch phone so it also is a perfect back-up. I sold my Tom Tom about 2 years ago.. no regrets.

Nice write up though OP.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:15 AM
monicatomokc
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
The CIA already had drones up. Small world I retired in 1993, my last day was June 30th. 22 years.
Yep, small world; June 30 was my last day, so I always say July 1 was my retirement date. If you say you retired out of Hickam, then it really is that small world thing!! Originally from Illinois (Chicago; South-sider, by Midway) and I'm still working as a Fed (FAA) and "thinking" about that second retirement....

Take and enjoy that beautiful new ride...
Old 10-29-2014, 07:30 PM
ralphmagin
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Mahnke
For getting power to the Garmin you can use a "3BR Powersports Garmin to miniUSB Power Cable" which comes in 9", 12" or 18" lengths and is available from www.gpscity.com or do a Google search for it. I'm using a Garmin Nuvi 50LM in the cubby hole and it works great there. The volume from the little gal in there giving directions is muffled though. I think she has claustrophobia being stuck in that small space.
Are you connecting to sattelites OK?
Old 10-29-2014, 08:01 PM
GTFD2
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphmagin
Are you connecting to sattelites OK?
I have my Garmin Nuvi in the cubby attached with the power cable described above and it works great. No problem with satellite reception.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:37 PM
TKay
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Mahnke
For getting power to the Garmin you can use a "3BR Powersports Garmin to miniUSB Power Cable" which comes in 9", 12" or 18" lengths and is available from www.gpscity.com or do a Google search for it. I'm using a Garmin Nuvi 50LM in the cubby hole and it works great there. The volume from the little gal in there giving directions is muffled though. I think she has claustrophobia being stuck in that small space.
I have two Garmin's, a 1990, and a 2557. Both came with a short USB cable. And another cable for 12v power source. Question, are you saying that the Garmin will get it power if I use the USB cable only and not the 12v power cable? In the instructions it only points out the USB cable for connecting to the PC.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:49 PM
GTFD2
Burning Brakes

It will not get power with the USB that came with it. For getting power to the Garmin you can use a "3BR Powersports Garmin to miniUSB Power Cable" which comes in 9", 12" or 18" lengths and is available from www.gpscity.com
Old 10-30-2014, 05:19 PM
TKay
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GTFD2
It will not get power with the USB that came with it. For getting power to the Garmin you can use a "3BR Powersports Garmin to miniUSB Power Cable" which comes in 9", 12" or 18" lengths and is available from www.gpscity.com
OK,OK, I have to get my rear in gear and try it. I went to the gpscity web site and the cable looks exactly like the spare one that came with my unit. I have to try it and see what happens.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:32 PM
GTFD2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TKay
OK,OK, I have to get my rear in gear and try it. I went to the gpscity web site and the cable looks exactly like the spare one that came with my unit. I have to try it and see what happens.
They look the same. You can try it but you only get a data transfer screen on the Garmin. The cord we are telling you to get has a wire that goes to a different pin in the GPS causing it to power up rather than try to get new data(maps).
Old 10-30-2014, 05:33 PM
5150 BRD
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GTFD2
Here is mine. I bought my car off the lot and it did not have nav so. . . .

Old 10-30-2014, 07:08 PM
Cheech Wizard
Le Mans Master

Location: Orlando, Florida, MY Corvette is BEST Corvette because MID-ENGINE!
Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts

I believe these are all 5" screen GPS units, correct? Would a 6" screen or larger fit in there?
Old 10-30-2014, 07:23 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

I too had my Garmin set up behind the screen. It worked great, but have changed to this. Pro Clips mount, Rokform phone case with car mount, 4" power cord to the receptacle. I use WAZE and directions go through car speakers via bluetooth.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:25 PM
Bigdog9586
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdm23
You know they offered nav as an option on the C7 right?..................
Is that what you call it?
Old 12-04-2014, 10:50 PM
Daemek
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 72 Posts

Like some I didn't wanna spend 1800 bucks for a Nav on my 2015 so I just bought a Garmin and gonna try doing what's in the picture. I bought a USB power cord per the suggestion. My question though, how do you keep the GPS in place and standing? That's nice, make a wooden block and mount it to this, but soon as I push the gas a little won't it go flying? Or take a sharp turn and go flying? I don't see how you keep the item in place without gluing it down or something that will look funny if you ever take the GPS back out?
Old 12-04-2014, 11:01 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I have used just about all the navigation systems on the market today. The OEM GM Navigation is the best integrated unit I have ever used. You just have read the BOOK! Love it.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:19 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The Waze app and a V1 is all a man needs. I was very doubful of Waze until I used it. There simply is no better navigation system....and it's nearly free.

To the OP...nice work!

Best,
Gene

Get notified of new replies

To TomTom Nav Setup Behind Radio Display Screen

Old 12-05-2014, 01:31 AM
Bryan Wharton
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Default My Tom Tom Mount

Originally Posted by Daemek
Like some I didn't wanna spend 1800 bucks for a Nav on my 2015 so I just bought a Garmin and gonna try doing what's in the picture. I bought a USB power cord per the suggestion. My question though, how do you keep the GPS in place and standing? That's nice, make a wooden block and mount it to this, but soon as I push the gas a little won't it go flying? Or take a sharp turn and go flying? I don't see how you keep the item in place without gluing it down or something that will look funny if you ever take the GPS back out?
I have a Tom Tom mounted on perspect that is cut to the exact size of the cubby base (use cardboard first as a template to get the size and shape right) then mount the sat Nav to it in the correct position towards the front but make sure the door will still open and close.
It easy to remove and will NOT move at all as long as you are right side up!
Hope this helps?
Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2014, 01:34 AM
Bryan Wharton
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Another photo

Originally Posted by Bryan Wharton
I have a Tom Tom mounted on perspect that is cut to the exact size of the cubby base (use cardboard first as a template to get the size and shape right) then mount the sat Nav to it in the correct position towards the front but make sure the door will still open and close.
It easy to remove and will NOT move at all as long as you are right side up!
Hope this helps?
Another photo
Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2014, 09:05 AM
Daemek
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Quick Reply: TomTom Nav Setup Behind Radio Display Screen