Sponsored by:

Auto dimming mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 01:07 PM
dckotwicki
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Auto dimming mirrors

I have a 2LT package that has the auto dimming center mirror and driver side mirror. Passenger side mirror does not dim.

While washing and cleaning the vehicle, I have noticed there is a coating on the mirrors that dim. There is a non-coated boarder of about 3MM all around both mirrors.

My question is this... Is this coating what makes the mirrors dim?
And
Is is energized somehow to make it work or does it simply react to light at night?

If it just reacts to light at night, can it be purchased to apply to the driver side outside mirror?
Old 07-29-2014, 01:14 PM
Robert Durff
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the "coating" is actually a transparent film that darkens when current is applied. It is definitely electric.

My related question is: Is there actually a sensor that measures light, and if so, where is it? I've had this feature in other cars and the C7 seems to do less adjustment - i.e. I mainly notice that if the lights are on, the mirrors are dimmed, regardless of what's around me / shining in the direction of the car. Is that your experience too?
Old 07-29-2014, 02:56 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Durff
Yes, the "coating" is actually a transparent film that darkens when current is applied. It is definitely electric.

My related question is: Is there actually a sensor that measures light, and if so, where is it? I've had this feature in other cars and the C7 seems to do less adjustment - i.e. I mainly notice that if the lights are on, the mirrors are dimmed, regardless of what's around me / shining in the direction of the car. Is that your experience too?
I think the light sensor is in the little dome shaped thing on top of the dashboard.

If not there, then it's in the roundish thing where the rear view mirror attaches.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:20 PM
Bill B 1
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

I believe its imbedded in the rear view mirror just above the OnStar controls for that mirror and is imbedded in the drivers side mirror for that unit. I believe that there is one in the drivers side mirror purely on speculation because I installed a set of polished mirror rings which attach directly to the mirror surface and they are specific for auto dim mirrors. they have a transparent plastic colored strip under a louvered area on the trim rings where I believe it lets the light come through to activate the darkening.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:40 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

There is one sensor in the rearview mirror, just to the left of the phone icon, you can see where it is in the second picture, my finger is covering it. It controls the Driver's side mirror, as well.
Attached Images   

Get notified of new replies

To Auto dimming mirrors

Quick Reply: Auto dimming mirrors