Sponsored by:

Short Review of 800 mile Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 11:56 PM
FRC_1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Short Review of 800 mile Road Trip

This was the furthest I have driven my car, when I departed Western WA, it had just under 500 miles on the ODO. I returned with just over 1000. The trip was from Tacoma WA to Spokane WA and back.

First Impressions after the return: Awesome road trip car, great fuel economy, comfortable, drives way better than my C5 did. Smiles the entire trip, I wish it was longer.

Ride quality: Great, it's a "non-Z51" car with an M7 and 3LT trim and it rode fantastic. It was a pure joy twisting on I90 through the passes. It's not a quiet ride on I-90 going over the pass, than road is grooved and resembles cobblestone roads in places. It was great to get some relief on the quieter eastern state roads. The biggest improvement was the lack of tracking the car did on grooved roads. I remember white knuckling my C-5 as it would dart and steer in the grooved roads. For those who have never driven this road the concrete is severely grooved from chains and studded tires, so much so that you can ride on the crowns to have a smoother/quieter ride.

Comfort: The seats are fine, I could see how larger folks may complain on the bolsters bugging them. They pushed a little but overall I liked the snug fit and was able to get the seat really comfortable. The AC system seems off, the AC blows frigid cold air unless I turn it up to around 74. It works... whatever. Sound system is fine, I'm no audiophile but it suits my needs and kept me entertained.

Economy: Average was 30.2 overall hand calculated. Best 50 mile was 35.4. Great economy for a 460 hp car. Noticeable vibration and "thud" going in/out of V4 mode, not a fan of that at all, but appreciate the economy.

Final thoughts: Many bugs committed suicide with the car, the Expel worked great for the clean-up at home. After the clean-up back home and a good deep cleaning I found 3 areas of buffer burn on the car (or I assume), kinda pissed about that and need a good way to fix it. I don't know if the dealer did it or the factory did it. Ether way it's my problem now and need to fix it. I Don't like the drive-line vibration in V4 mode, but that's fixed by keeping her in touring/sport mode. Best sports car I've owned ('10 GT500, '00 C-5 FRC) I love the car, and need another excuse to take it on a trip.

Recommendations: If you don't own one... I am sorry you're missing out. For those who do; go drive this thing... how can you not?

Last edited by FRC_1; 07-30-2014 at 12:23 AM. Reason: added tranny type
Old 07-30-2014, 12:05 AM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Head up to Vancouver for some Chinese food

You live in Eden. At least for the next several weeks.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:10 AM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by FRC_1
Noticeable vibration and "thud" going in/out of V4 mode, not a fan of that at all, but appreciate the economy.
Do you have an M7 or an A6? My A6 makes undetectable transitions back and forth from V8 to V4 mode. Don
Old 07-30-2014, 12:39 AM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by W88fixer
Do you have an M7 or an A6? My A6 makes undetectable transitions back and forth from V8 to V4 mode. Don
I have an m7 and also hear the thud and vibration when going in and out of v8 to v4 mode. Guess it's normal!
Old 07-30-2014, 01:23 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,233 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good review and glad you are enjoying your car.

Get notified of new replies

To Short Review of 800 mile Road Trip

Quick Reply: Short Review of 800 mile Road Trip