Sponsored by:

Garage Car Lift - QuickJack BL-5000

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 10:22 AM
MLRS
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Quick Jack BL5000

I have owned a QuickJack BL 5000 for about 18 month now and in 2 times one of the legs when the jack it's on the higher position lift, the leg has swing to the side coming off the jack and resting on the floor. I always use 4 jackstands but it's a safety concern, I have adjusted the bolts that attached the legs to the frame but didn't work out. So I have modified where the legs rest when the jack is in the up position (higher), I welded a piece of steel to make it like a box where the leg will rest, I still use the four jackstands. I guest at least is a peace of mind. Some pics here, sorry for the paint job paint was wet. Hahah
Old 02-08-2017, 10:41 AM
MLRS
Racer

Default Modification to Quickjack BL5000

Pics
Attached Images     
Old 02-08-2017, 10:41 AM
08G8V8
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by MLRS
I have owned a QuickJack BL 5000 for about 18 month now and in 2 times one of the legs when the jack it's on the higher position lift, the leg has swing to the side coming off the jack and resting on the floor. I always use 4 jackstands but it's a safety concern, I have adjusted the bolts that attached the legs to the frame but didn't work out. So I have modified where the legs rest when the jack is in the up position (higher), I welded a piece of steel to make it like a box where the leg will rest, I still use the four jackstands. I guest at least is a peace of mind. Some pics here, sorry for the paint job paint was wet. Hahah
Was going to say pics not showing, but now they are....and are HUGE! Thanks

Last edited by 08G8V8; 02-08-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:46 AM
08G8V8
Racer

Next time you lift the car, can you take pics of your jackstand configuration? Curious where and how you are putting them, and still have room to move under the car. Thanks
Old 02-08-2017, 10:48 AM
MLRS
Racer

Bend pack should modify from here on. Just for safety.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:51 AM
08G8V8
Racer

Bend pack should modify from here on. Just for safety.
The new SLX models do have a channel track the arms ride in the entire length of travel. Good thing you were able to modify your unit yourself.....looks good.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:54 AM
MLRS
Racer

Originally Posted by 08G8V8
Next time you lift the car, can you take pics of your jackstand configuration? Curious where and how you are putting them, and still have room to move under the car. Thanks
Very Soon, I will be installing BB Bullets axle back and tunnel plate 1/4 ". Still waiting on the tunnel plate. I might be not putting the jack stands on the correct place on the car but who cares about the car if the Quickjack fails I just need time to get the hell out from under the car. Hahaha
Old 02-08-2017, 12:16 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

I need to get one of these next year. No money this year for one.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:54 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,124 Likes on 732 Posts

Mine did it once, I put a fender washer on the bolt and it "cured" the issue.

If you can check that the bolts are not bent... or very loose.

I do like you're fix..
Old 02-10-2017, 04:45 AM
MLRS
Racer

Originally Posted by BLUE1972
Mine did it once, I put a fender washer on the bolt and it "cured" the issue.

If you can check that the bolts are not bent... or very loose.

I do like you're fix..
I do like your fix too, I might have both done to be on the safe side. Everything about safety. Thanks

Last edited by MLRS; 02-10-2017 at 04:45 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:13 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

I have limited clearance overhead and after a lot of searching for a "safe" way to work under my 1970 Corvette project I found and bought 4 stands from a fella in Illinois. PERFECT ! I also purchased a Daytona 3 ton floor jack to insure being able to raise the platform high enough.Works great.
I'm able to comfortably move underneath the car to dismantle it with no hesitation. Easy to use, excellent quality, very safe ( as much as can be expected in earthquake country). If you need to remove the tires use 6 ton jack stand(s) ( for height ) in conjunction with lift stands. I'm going to post a couple of pictures the first being my set up and then one from a fella in Australia doing work on his car in a similar fashion.
I'd love to have a walk under lift system but for me I didn't have that choice. So for what it's worth to anyone and I'll apologize now if anyone thinks I'm hi-jacking this thread.
Good Luck to all.

Adjustable height, great platform.

Raised.

Easy access to under carriage and if working on the interior sure helps avoid to much bending on the old back, and I'm old, more days than not.

This fella, a fellow member is using a similar method.

Myliftstand.com for more information.
The following 2 users liked this post by caskiguy:
Rescue Rogers (02-21-2017), Yaupon (02-27-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 07:10 AM
MLRS
Racer

Default Quick jack BL5000 w/ Jackstand.

Originally Posted by 08G8V8
This is how I set up the jackstands under the car, right under the Quick Jack. I know it might not be the best place but if the Quick Jack fails (Hope Not) probably I'll have some time to get out of underneath of the car. I have ordered 2 sets of 8" Race Ramps, waiting for them to arrive.
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
jon c (09-24-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 07:20 AM
08G8V8
Racer

Thanks.

I've never had, or heard of any Quickjack failures, but a good safety precaution. I was thinking you were using them in the car, which I couldn't envision how to place them and maintain access.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:49 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

I got my tax refund, so I ordered a 7000. They told me the version I would get would have the new Urethane wheels. I have some questions, for you guys that went through this.
  • Did you guys use the yellow Teflon tape on the fittings that already had o-rings? The YouTube said you did not have to use the tape on the fittings that had o-rings.
  • I was going to store it under the parked Vette, but I am concerned that rain water dripping off the car on the garage floor might rust it. Anyone see any rust on their unit when the rained on car is parked over it?
  • I see they offer dust caps now, I assume they do not come with the unit.
  • I was watching that video and the motor unit looks like it would be easy to add some wheels so it could be rolled around. Anyone add wheels to the motor housing?
  • If the lifts get out of sync, what is the procedure to get them back into sync?

Thanks in advance. Info on this thread was most useful so thanks to all the contributors.

Last edited by Flame Red; 02-21-2017 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:00 AM
GTFD2
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 143 Posts

1 no
3 come with it
5 I lower them all the way and then stand on them
Old 02-21-2017, 02:17 PM
Jimmer1
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3... I used some garden hose of same diameter to cover the fittings.
4... built a swivel (4)wheeled dolly for moving unit around, and easy storage afterwards.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:23 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,278 Likes on 3,915 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

read the directions, i dont think you can raise them without a load on them. Should prevent them from becoming out of sync. If there is a problem I think you go all the way up then down again. Good question, Im going to reread the instructions before I use them this spring

Get notified of new replies

To Garage Car Lift - QuickJack BL-5000

Old 02-24-2017, 08:13 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

I received mine, and I wish they had made these 20 years ago. Seems very well built, and easy to put together. But the 7000 is HEAVY. I did not realize that FedEx would ship something this heavy! I can barely lift it onto the wheels and lug it around to move it into position. I might try putting some "moving men" under it to see if that helps. Not like my light weight aluminum racing jack - for sure!

Kind of ironic that I would need a lift for my lift!?!?!

Originally Posted by Jimmer1
4... built a swivel (4)wheeled dolly for moving unit around, and easy storage afterwards.
Can you please post a picture? I need ideas desperately. I was going to park it under the vette but I am kind of concerned it might rust with rain water dripping on it over the years. So I lugged it over to rest against the wall. Would hate for it to fall over on something. So it needs some kind of tie down definitely if I keep it there. I like the idea of dolly, just not sure if I would be able to lift it on or off.

Seems like they now come with the dust caps and spare wheels. Only issue I had is one of the schrader valve leaked air. So I took it apart and after playing with it for a while it seemed to seal. Might have to call them to get a replacement.

Other issue is that perhaps I do not have it bled properly yet. Going up, one still vibrates slightly. And going down, one seems to go down faster than the other. I thought they had equal 50lb air pressure, but maybe one schrader valve is still leaking.

I am really impressed that the hoses do not leak a drop when you disconnect them with those quick disconnect fittings!

Great investment if you are like me and are garage poor and cannot fit a four post lift.

Last edited by Flame Red; 02-24-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:37 PM
MLRS
Racer

Default How I covered the fittings.

Originally Posted by Jimmer1
3... I used some garden hose of same diameter to cover the fittings.
Jimmer1 I did the same thing with the fittings, got a piece of hose I had around my tool box and cut few pieces. I used some milk bottles caps to seal the ends and keep the fittings lubricated.
Attached Images    
Old 03-02-2017, 08:16 AM
Barrier
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Where to Buy

Where did you guys get the best price on the BL-5000SLX ?
I cannot seem to find a vendor. Are there any group buys in progress?
thanks
Barrier

Quick Reply: Garage Car Lift - QuickJack BL-5000