Sponsored by:

Driving our C7 fast versus our E90 M3

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 04:11 PM
abl57
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving our C7 fast versus our E90 M3

We are through our break in period so on the way home from golfing this AM I pushed our z51 convertible on a great stretch of highway where I have driven our M3 sedan many times. Totally different experience in the Vette - I got up to just under 130 a couple of times. I have had our M3 going 140+ on this stretch and it's a little scary in the convertible.

The two cars are obviously totally different. I figured out in the Vette it's better to gear it down and stay on the throttle harder. It seems to lock down better that way. It's certainly more analog in the Vette. The one thing that BMW still has down better than anyone is its damping. It did seem more planted damping wise than the Vette, but the Vette corners just as well. You could really hammer the vette on some sort of super highway or a flatter track. I don't think I am a good enough driver to do it on something with constant elevation changes. I am sure pros would not even be bothered.

Obviously very fortunate to have both cars. I am sure the corvette is way faster as I was easily going 130 in 5th gear and it was tach'd at maybe 4200. I could see it going 180. I can say I feel more comfortable going really fast in the M3 but I would not say it's more fun - just a totally different experience. I had it in track mode and the exhaust note is incredible as is the display.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:21 PM
mfear
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Love my c7 way better than my e93 (convertible) 335..tons faster.

And the e9x M3s are slow compared to the c7..even my LIGHTLY tuned 335 would destroy M3s.

Though the m3 out handled the Crap out of the 335
Old 08-02-2014, 04:53 PM
LS6GXP
Racer

Also a bit hard to compare a soft top vs a hard top sedan. But thanks for sharing. Always nice to see the C7 in a stable with other cool cars
Old 08-02-2014, 06:42 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Do you have MSRC on the Vette?
Old 08-02-2014, 08:10 PM
abl57
8th Gear

[QUOTE=irvbulldogs72;1587503426]Do you have MSRC on the Vette?[/QUOTE. Yes. We also have 335 m sport package. Great car but no way is it as fast as out M3.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:26 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

I guess my 2014 SS with the handling worked out my your cars developer is slow in the curves too. You are not use to the vett yet so when you drive and new car it takes a while to get use to it.
z51vett
Doug
Old 08-03-2014, 12:14 AM
M3GUY01
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by abl57
We are through our break in period so on the way home from golfing this AM I pushed our z51 convertible on a great stretch of highway where I have driven our M3 sedan many times. Totally different experience in the Vette - I got up to just under 130 a couple of times. I have had our M3 going 140+ on this stretch and it's a little scary in the convertible.

The two cars are obviously totally different. I figured out in the Vette it's better to gear it down and stay on the throttle harder. It seems to lock down better that way. It's certainly more analog in the Vette. The one thing that BMW still has down better than anyone is its damping. It did seem more planted damping wise than the Vette, but the Vette corners just as well. You could really hammer the vette on some sort of super highway or a flatter track. I don't think I am a good enough driver to do it on something with constant elevation changes. I am sure pros would not even be bothered.

Obviously very fortunate to have both cars. I am sure the corvette is way faster as I was easily going 130 in 5th gear and it was tach'd at maybe 4200. I could see it going 180. I can say I feel more comfortable going really fast in the M3 but I would not say it's more fun - just a totally different experience. I had it in track mode and the exhaust note is incredible as is the display.

I currently have both. An e92 M3 DCT and a C7 with about 600 miles. You probably need a lot more seat time in the C7 to learn its characteristics and drive ability. I am definitely a lot more comfortable driving in my M3 especially in turns and corners, but once I get use to the C7, I know it will out perform it by a huge margin.
Love my M3 but the C7 will definitely destroy it at the track.
One thing I wish the C7 offered was a DCT transmission, hands down the best transmission I have ever driven.
I opted for the 7 speed, but would change if offered in a heartbeat.

Congrats on your rides and enjoy!!

Last edited by M3GUY01; 08-03-2014 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:01 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by M3GUY01
I currently have both. An e92 M3 DCT and a C7 with about 600 miles. You probably need a lot more seat time in the C7 to learn its characteristics and drive ability. I am definitely a lot more comfortable driving in my M3 especially in turns and corners, but once I get use to the C7, I know it will out perform it by a huge margin.
Love my M3 but the C7 will definitely destroy it at the track.
One thing I wish the C7 offered was a DCT transmission, hands down the best transmission I have ever driven.
I opted for the 7 speed, but would change if offered in a heartbeat.

Congrats on your rides and enjoy!!
The Vette has the torque advantage so the DCT isn't missed as much since you don't have to shift the Vette as often. C7 will be just like the 3 previous versions of the Vette and will conquer most tracks just using 3rd and 4th.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Driving our C7 fast versus our E90 M3

Quick Reply: Driving our C7 fast versus our E90 M3