C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seats too narrow for me - how about you?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 02:07 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich427
...I actually measured the width of the seat bottom of my C7 verses my Z06 and found that the C7 was about 1/2 inch wider than the Z. Then I noticed that the height of the seat bolsters on the C7 were taller and obviously firmer than my C5. I can only assume the design is to keep my *** in the center of the seat cushion...

Subjectively, I think you have the reasoning right.

I also think the design forces you into a better driving position.

two biggest things I've noticed:

1. Can't have poor posture (scoot forward or try to sit off center, feels like there is a slightly elevated "divider" in the middle of the seat).
2. No "detroit lean" towards the console (or you can't see part of the HUD)

Compared to my C5, the C7 GT seats hold me in place much better, making it easier to drive harder, so to speak, without feeling like I am sliding side to side in the seat.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:48 PM
youcancallmeray
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 5'11" and 250. Seats comfortable on long trips. No problem at all with fitting in.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:06 PM
Zachry
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raymbarr
The C7 is my first corvette and I LOVE it! So this is just a small issue but wondering if it's just me.

I'm 6' 2" tall and 200 lbs. and I find the seat bolsters too narrow (NOT the seat backs - the seat bottoms - I know the seat back bolsters are adjustable and they're great. I'm talking about the part you SIT on).

I have longish legs so when I sit, my legs are slightly bent up and slightly splayed out left and right. It feels like the left and right seat bolsters are digging into the bottom of my legs after a while.

The back bolster adjustment doesn't seem to affect the seats - only the back left/right bolsters wider/narrower. It doesn't make the bottom part of the seat bolsters more wide open (flatter).

Anyone else feel this?

Thanks,
Raym
Hey,, I know what you"re talking about, I orderd a L1,and after a short time My left leg is killing me. I have said this problem to many people,and their replys were .We"ll didn't U set in one. Yes I did ,But there is a lot of difference in setting and driving. The car I sat in were Lt2s .I know they are different,adj bolster,and lumber adj But the bolster is on the side of your left leg Not under it This seat is a real killer I have gone to a dealer,he said he would order a new foam bottom, But this is no good, because chev is not going to pay to have it alterd. So what I have been doing is putting a rag on the bolster,and then I put weights on the part that"s going into my leg Every day. That along with setting on the best foam cushion,That ,the Back Store sells It helped a lot, But I want much more from Chevrolet than This
Old 08-04-2014, 07:50 PM
SilverFish
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Me too. I'm 6'1" 195 pounds. I went from a 2014 GT 500 with recaro seats which fit me perfectly. Honestly this is the only thing I feel needs improving on the Stingray. My thighs sit on top of the bolsters while in the Shelby I fit snugly between them. The bottom seats in the vette are just a little too narrow. Btw the vette is a 2LT with gt seats.
The following users liked this post:
VAVetteC7 (11-23-2016)
Old 08-04-2014, 08:23 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The C7 is my first corvette and I LOVE it! So this is just a small issue but wondering if it's just me.

I'm 6' 2" tall and 200 lbs. and I find the seat bolsters too narrow (NOT the seat backs - the seat bottoms - I know the seat back bolsters are adjustable and they're great. I'm talking about the part you SIT on).

I have longish legs so when I sit, my legs are slightly bent up and slightly splayed out left and right. It feels like the left and right seat bolsters are digging into the bottom of my legs after a while.

The back bolster adjustment doesn't seem to affect the seats - only the back left/right bolsters wider/narrower. It doesn't make the bottom part of the seat bolsters more wide open (flatter).

Anyone else feel this?

Thanks,
Raym
just the other way with me 6'3'' 220 seat bottoms fine ,not big enough for my sholders . but prob. after flooring it enough it will fix that . but the seats do seem alot smaller .
Old 08-04-2014, 08:33 PM
dbdave
Le Mans Master

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

I'm 6'3", 200 and have 3LT standard seats. The bolsters hit me in the back of both thighs. The passenger side seems much worse. The outer bolsters seem worse than the center bolsters.

I'm not done with playing around with the seat angle but I think these seats are not designed for just relaxing in them. The bolster needs to be softer or moved to the outside and the angle needs to be adjusted. Maybe the foam is a little too stiff. I suppose if you drive with your knees together, they would be ok. I'm thinking that the thread on the edge of the bolsters will start wearing quite soon.

Seat backs and the seat overall is quite an improvement over the early C6 seats but they may have gone a little too far.
The following users liked this post:
VAVetteC7 (11-23-2016)
Old 08-04-2014, 09:03 PM
HP JNKEY
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 5'11" at 185 and I tried all the seats at Barrett Jackson last Jan and didn't like any of them. They look great until you sit in them for a while.
Seat bottom bolsters are hard and too close together in my opinion.

My brother's 2012 E63 AMG and has a similar problem.

Wish they were as comfortable as the 20 way adjust sport seats in my 535 Bimmer.

One of the main reasons I'm keeping my C6.

Guess my *** doesn't like most sport seats.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:09 PM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

No problem with base seats. I'm 5'8 and 210.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:14 PM
earlszr1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Anyone else feel this?

Thanks,
Raym
Yes I have found that leaning the seat forward really helps.then move the back where ever it feel good.works for me. I'm 5 11 260
Old 08-04-2014, 11:20 PM
truckin-on
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by earlszr1
Yes I have found that leaning the seat forward really helps.then move the back where ever it feel good.works for me. I'm 5 11 260
Do you mean tilt the seat bottom so it's more level? Have to give that a try...

I have the exact same complaint as others - the bottom bolsters are too hard and a bit too close together or to high relative to the seat bottom. 3LT standard seats. I can deal with it, but it's not really comfortable (yet) after 3500 miles.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:49 AM
earlszr1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by truckin-on
Do you mean tilt the seat bottom so it's more level? Have to give that a try...

I have the exact same complaint as others - the bottom bolsters are too hard and a bit too close together or to high relative to the seat bottom. 3LT standard seats. I can deal with it, but it's not really comfortable (yet) after 3500 miles.
yes <In fact I have mine tilted as level as it can go,100 percent better for me,im thinking when that seat edge breaks down it might even get better.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:28 AM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

I had a similar problem with my 2005 Honda. The seat cushion side bolsters were rock hard and my thighs pressed into them. What made the seat tolerable was shaving off a little of the top layer of foam on each bolster and drilling holes in the foam to make it softer. This preserves the contour of the foam and the size and placement of the holes can reduce the density where you need it. It took a few tries to get it right, but I still have the car and the foam has softened even more. I couldn't stand it before the holes were drilled.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:52 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lgodom
I had a similar problem with my 2005 Honda. The seat cushion side bolsters were rock hard and my thighs pressed into them. What made the seat tolerable was shaving off a little of the top layer of foam on each bolster and drilling holes in the foam to make it softer. This preserves the contour of the foam and the size and placement of the holes can reduce the density where you need it. It took a few tries to get it right, but I still have the car and the foam has softened even more. I couldn't stand it before the holes were drilled.
LOL....hope you removed the covers couldn't hep it
Old 08-05-2014, 08:02 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

5'9" @ 220 pounds (let's just say well lived) and I find the GT seats fit me just fine.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:55 PM
raymbarr
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The seats I'm complaining about are the GT Bucket seats and the car is a stick.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like a decent portion of you folks are having the same feeling of the bottom bolsters pressing hard into your thighs underneath like me. Since even some of you larger folks don't seem to mind it, some of us may just be more sensitive to that pressure than others.

The back bolsters don't bother me at all - I have them as wide as they'll go. But that doesn't help the bottom bolsters.

I've put 5,000 miles on it since getting it in February and it's my daily driver. Hopefully those lower bolsters will loosen up a bit over time but for now, sounds like I'll just have to live with it. I was hoping I was missing some adjustment somewhere but it sounds like that's not the case.

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2014, 02:07 AM
ColJack
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1KULC7
Last year at this time there was no way I would have considered the Comp seats, but since then I lost 140lbs, yep 140lbs. I am 6 foot 1 inch, now weight 182lbs and the seats are PERFECT. We also own a BMW 335i with stock buckets seats, and the comp seats are so much better for lateral and back support....We love the comp seats so much better than the stock seats....no problem here.
Congratulations on the 140 loss that took a lot of willpower you should be proud!
Old 08-08-2014, 02:48 AM
SoCalC7
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 70 Posts

Yep. One of the first things I noticed when driving the car. I'm 6'3" and 208.

Anyone else feel this?

Thanks,
Raym

Get notified of new replies

To Seats too narrow for me - how about you?

Old 08-08-2014, 05:45 AM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

I'm 6'0" and 225 lbs. Left bolster in bottom of the seat digs into the back side of my thigh. Find the seat uncomfortable because of that. Back of seat is fine. Standard seats in my M7 Z51. By comparison the seats in my GT-R fit just fine, no pain in the back of the thigh, and it is made in Japan, where people are much smaller on average. Plus it holds me just fine on the race track, no sliding around.

Wish there was an option for a different seat bottom in my Stingray.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:53 AM
raymbarr
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm hoping seat/cushion companies come out with an after-market product that would help - a seat cover that smooths that bottom out a bit or a pillow shaped to exactly fit in that space to make the distance between the seat bottom and the bottom bolsters less aggressive.

I've tried a lamb skin cover that helps a little but then it looses all the leather seat feel that I love in the first place.

Thanks all - I was starting to think it was just me,
Raym
Old 08-08-2014, 01:22 PM
foreverfuelie
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts

For those that just cant "adjust" either seat style to your liking, I'd suggest contacting John Carivaggio (not sure of the spelling). His "upholstery talents" are magnificent. I have not seen any C7 seats he has done but, his C6 seats can be seen in the C6 section. I'm sure if anyone could "customize" your seat bottoms to fit you better, he is the man. JMHO

Quick Reply: Seats too narrow for me - how about you?