Sponsored by:

Impression after 15,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 03:57 PM
Litumup411
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Impression after 15,000 miles

I took delivery of my car in early October and have had an opportunity to drive over 15,000 miles. I didn't drive it in the snow so I really can't evaluate it in that respect. I have however, gotten to enjoy the car most days since I got it. To give you some background, I am in my late 40s and my last daily driver was a Porsche Panamera. The three previous to that were Lexus LS460, 430, and 400.

My car is a standard 2LT coupe M7 NPP in white. I've had the opportunity to drive both an automatic Z 51 and a manual Z 51.

To give you an idea of how I drive, I typically average over 26 mpg per tank and I drive approximately 75% highway. I don't beat it and I don't baby it. When I sold my Panamera it looked like it just came off the showroom floor.

Fit and finish:

I have one of the early builds, number 1362, and I haven't had any of the body issues that some people have spoken of. Yes there is orange peel, but it's white and that masks most of that issue. The removable roof is phenomenal. Mine spends as much time in the hatch as possible.

Engine and transmission:

With all of the drive modes, I've noticed that there is not much of a difference between the various modes with my car. The motor seems like it is lacking a bit in power at low RPMs, but that's a trade-off for the great mileage that I've experienced. I'm sure I could hold gears longer and keep it in the power band, and I've done that a number of times. I keep it in sport most of the time, but my commute has a good stretch of highway where I can set the cruise at 75 and drive in eco-mode in 7th for about 20 miles each way. Initially when I got the car, I didn't really see the point of using eco-mode, but if you aren't in traffic and can cruise, it does really well. The transitions when you're on a grade are pretty seamless. The system seems to stumble when you accelerate at the same time it is about to transition.

I have also pulled fuse number 41 because the exhaust transition at 1700 rpm's was annoying to me.

As an aside, I also pulled fuse number 26 (I think) because I don't use onstar, and of the night mode for the rearview mirror made it difficult to see out my moderately tinted windows.

ARM with the manual transmission is something that I used initially to help me get accustomed to the shift gates. I was having difficulty and would shift from 4 to 7 and from 6 to 3 on occasion and it saved my a--. I have three other cars that are manual transmissions, so I thought for sure I wouldn't be using it after I got familiar with the car. Actually what I found is that I switch it on each time I get in the car. The only thing that annoys me about it is when I am coasting to a traffic light, it revs unnecessarily so I have learned to momentarily switch it off before I coast in neutral. It's a pretty remarkable system in that it seems to sense how quickly you move the shifter to the next gate and the attitude of the car.

Things that surprise me about the car:

The first time I took the roof off, I was completely surprised at how light it is. Of course I knew it was light, but based on past experience with targa tops, I've never had one this light. Note to new owners: make sure you know where everything is around your car. Look up, and look to the side because if you don't you WILL bang your roof. Only experience has kept me from damaging mine, but I've been close.

Hands-free phone operation with the top removed is stellar. I still can't believe that I am able to talk on the phone moving at 75 mph with a top off. It does degrade however, when you lower the windows.

The one thing that really surprises me about this car is how much notoriety it still gets after driving it for the last nine months. From jaded Mercedes owners to the four little kids that were riding their bikes in a not so nice part of Philadelphia on Monday, this car is a celebrity.

Things that I think could've been done better:

I'm reaching here, but one of the main reasons I didn't buy a Z 51 car was because of the rear spoiler. Since I use my car every day and am constantly in the hatch, having to lift equipment over the taller spoiler would have become cumbersome. If they had been able to incorporate the spoiler on to the rear hatch, that would have worked better for me.

I guess I would include the paint quality as well. It's just not what you would expect from a halo car.

It would be nice to have a valet mode. Something that would reduce the horsepower below 200 so that I could ensure that the car won't be abused.

When you put the roof on after you drive the car, since the windows have to be lowered to secure the roof, it would be nice to have the power windows available for 2 to 3 minutes after the car is shut off independent of whether the doors are open.

My impression of the difference between the three cars that I've had an opportunity to drive:

The AZ 51 car with MRC seemed like it was a relaxing car to drive but could change personalities in an instant to a sports car ride. The ride quality didn't seem much different from my standard suspension except that it cornered flatter and was a little choppier over bumps.

The M7 Z 51 non-MRC car rode like my standard suspension with an additional five psi in each tire. The gearing seemed much closer and speedier, if that's a word.

Modifications to my car:

Aside from cosmetic alterations, I installed a Lucas 7500 dashcam, and I just ordered some aftermarket wheels with Michelin PSS non-runflat tires. It'll save me approximately 4 pounds per corner on the front and 6 pounds per corner at the back.

I'm really impressed with the car and still look forward to driving it every day. Hope this was helpful.

Last edited by Litumup411; 08-15-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:07 PM
Jedi-Jurist
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Great post and beautiful car!
Old 08-15-2014, 04:19 PM
Roger L
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

The white wheels look great-continue to enjoy it
Old 08-15-2014, 04:29 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Jedi-Jurist
Great post and beautiful car!
Old 08-15-2014, 04:34 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Very informative and useful info/insight. I echo your comments on safe handling of the targa top. I dinged my targa top from my 99 coupe when I removed it inside my garage and I hit the little goofy arm that hung below my garage door opener.

I opted for a non Z51 because of constraints and I don't track my car and was surprised how stiff the base suspension really is. It feels like my 07 Z06.

I did install the Z51 sway bars since my car is a ZF1 with the Z51 tires/wheels I felt the sway bars would complete/complement what GM started, and for $300 that's a lot of bang for the buck.

Regarding AFM, I was initially against it and was considering a Diablo tune, but after living with it for 3 weeks I must say if I don't have the display set to show that info I'd never feel it.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:15 PM
2CRUZIN
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your Vette looks fantastic and nice wrtie-up.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:37 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to do a great and detailed write up. I agree with every thing you stated. Beautiful car by the way, looks great!
Old 08-15-2014, 05:49 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger L
The white wheels look great-continue to enjoy it
I agree. The white wheels look really nice.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:30 PM
NavyDoc2007
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent review. I agree, it's also a stretch for me to come up with a lot of complaints about the car. This being the 5th GM car I've owned, it's near perfect compared to the previous 4 (the interior quality being the biggest improvement). Your White wheels look great too!
Old 08-15-2014, 06:56 PM
450hp mike9
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

White wheels ?
Old 08-15-2014, 07:15 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts.

I'm surprised I like those white wheels; they look great.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:44 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Just my opinion I think the Chrome wheels would have been great.Um I haven't had the cars you've had.It sounds like you like it ok.
To me it's definitely the best car I've ever owned.Good write up.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:03 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

Like everyone I have to say a really great write up and synopsis of your time with it. Totally in agreement with the white and your white wheels, great look.

FWIW, I just noticed in the settings yesterday something I'd forgotten about, Valet mode. Yep, it's there, just look it up. Setting that you can put stuff in the cubby and keep it locked with a four digit combo.

My insurance agent could be reading so I'll keep my miles to myself , but totally enjoying Vin 3206 as well. Engine is usually warm .
Old 08-15-2014, 09:20 PM
NiteriderFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

White wheels on a white car used to be soo 90s...now though, WOW lookin good. Thanks for the write up, glad you're still enjoying the car after 9 months
Old 08-15-2014, 09:36 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Thanks for the review.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:31 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,302 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Thanks for taking the time to share your impressions of the car. All that info is valuable for those looking to buy a C7.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:23 PM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteriderVette
White wheels on a white car used to be soo 90s...

Hey now...

Get notified of new replies

To Impression after 15,000 miles

Old 08-15-2014, 11:47 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Great stuff! I won't get to that mileage for several years...being retired I don't have to drive to work every day now.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:58 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Nice write-up! Great to see you're really driving your car.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:12 AM
Hurricane

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

Great write up and your Vette looks beautiful!

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Quick Reply: Impression after 15,000 miles