Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C7 General Discussion
General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Kerbeck Corvettes

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 08-25-2014, 03:15 PM   #1
fun2fly
CF Senior Member

Default Dreaded Paint Flaw.

So, I recently took delivery of my new 2014 C7. I flew two hours to pick it up and had a fair distance to drive the first day. I had a quick look at the car and of course it looked fantastic. You are all nerved up with a brand new ride like this and I had a good 400+ mile drive to make it to my first night at a booked accommodation then another 900 miles the next day. I didn't finish up at the dealer until some time around 4PM and dark clouds were threatening so I wanted out of there and on the road.

Got her home and sure enough under my garage florescent lights I noticed a paint flaw on the drivers side up where the side hood panel mates with the front bumper and headlight. Almost looks as though they joined them when the paint was wet. I'm a bit PO'd but not the end of the world I guess. Just not sure what I should do in this case. Seems to me it's a definite factory flaw and something that should be covered under warranty but you never know. My car is a fairly late VIN too almost 32000.
I've had the car for a few weeks now.
Attached Images

fun2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
dvilin
CF Senior Member

I would definitely want that repaired under warranty. The sooner you pursue getting it done the better.
dvilin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:19 PM   #3
Kracka
CF Senior Member

That's too bad, but luckily warranty will cover that for sure. Take it to your local dealership, shouldn't be a problem at all
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:20 PM   #4
Translator
CF Senior Member

That is just horrible. Definitely unacceptable. It appears like two major body panels will have to be repainted on a brand new car.
Translator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:21 PM   #5
Stinger1
CF Member

I can't believe that made it through quality control at the plant and then made it past your dealership inspection. That should be fixed.
Stinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:21 PM   #6
lancekl
CF Member

Amazed that something like that gets by "quality control"!
lancekl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:22 PM   #7
basacowan
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14
Support Corvetteforum!

That's incredible especially on a part of the car that is so visible. Did you not notice during delivery? I'm sure your warranty will cover because GM does not want flaws like this. The inspector on the line also needs an eye appointment, I think Stevie Wonder would have caught this!

Last edited by basacowan; 08-25-2014 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Typo
basacowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
Translator
CF Senior Member

The factory should never allow something like that to leave their facility. Just too much going on; even with recent quality control issues. Warranty should be to rectify issues that come along the way; and not to rectify flaws from the factory.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:34 PM   #9
etekberg
CF Senior Member

Should have been caught with Dealer PDI as well.

I'd be willing to bet the Museum would have caught that and sent it right back across the street to get fixed.
etekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:37 PM   #10
Translator
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etekberg View Post
Should have been caught with Dealer PDI as well.

I'd be willing to bet the Museum would have caught that and sent it right back across the street to get fixed.
Yup, HOWEVER, there is a big difference between this being repaired at the factory, when compared to a dealership/body shop.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:39 PM   #11
fun2fly
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvilin View Post
I would definitely want that repaired under warranty. The sooner you pursue getting it done the better.
JThanks for your response. I just sent the service department an email. If no response by tomorrow I'll call them to set up an appointment. My only concern is I did not buy the vette from them and went to another province with better allocation.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:40 PM   #12
Steve_R
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Translator View Post
Yup, HOWEVER, there is a big difference between this being repaired at the factory, when compared to a dealership/body shop.
I'd trust a good body shop to fix it right before I'd trust the factory since that's what a body shop does.

OP, get it fixed under warranty and enjoy your new C7.
Steve_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:45 PM   #13
fun2fly
CF Senior Member

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I kick myself for not noticing it. My dad even said to give it a good going over before accepting it but I guess I just got caught up in the moment and had big pressure to get out of there and on the road for my long trip home. I live in a rural area and driving a brand new car on one of the busiest highways in North America was in the back of my mind.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:47 PM   #14
mjw930
CF Senior Member

There's no way this made it out of the factory or through PDI. The paint was pushed up by excessive pressure from the front nose clip. I have no idea why it looks like the paint was not bonded to the panel underneath.

In all likelyhood it was perfect when you picked it up and the movement of the panels as you drove home caused the defect. Any competent body shop can correct this, I wouldn't fret over it.
mjw930 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:48 PM   #15
talon90
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10
Support Corvetteforum!

That should have never left the dealership that way.

To those saying it should never have left the plant, you're right but I'm certain that didn't look like that while it was at the plant.

There is clearly a paint adhesion issue (compounded by a panel rub.) The panel rub is fairly common in that area. With the stress lines showing in that picture those two panels pressed against each other and slowly moved the paint along the surface in compression. The reality is it likely didn't appear to some point later leading up to or during transport after the cover was on or even sitting on the dealer lot. Frankly, it could have even appeared during the first few hundred miles that the car was actually road driven on the way home.

Based on the quality control checks that every car gets, there are several people that need to touch that specific area (gaps are measured at two stations) as well as two different visual inspections that take place.

The issue with the assembly process is that the car doesn't support it's own weight while the panels are being put on. Once the car touches down the panels begin to shift. This is why there are final adjustments at the end of the line. However, if all the movement isn't done as the suspension settles they can shift again.

In this case, if the paint had adhered properly to the panel they would have likely just wiped on each other and left the paint intact or with a small rub mark. This is extreme.

Regardless of the circumstances, it stinks for the OP. I hope you get it resolved quickly.
talon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:48 PM   #16
Cruiter
CF Senior Member
On order: Torch Red Z51
Support Corvetteforum!

So sorry your magic moment had that hiccup. It's definitely out of the ordinary but the local dealer should be able to take care of it easily. That is the worst I've seen so far, like other said it should've been caught. It almost looks like a wrap gone bad. But hey, you picked a great color, one I'm partial to . This day will pass once you get it done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2fly View Post

Got her home and sure enough under my garage florescent lights I noticed a paint flaw on the drivers side up where the side hood panel mates with the front bumper and headlight. Almost looks as though they joined them when the paint was wet. I'm a bit PO'd but not the end of the world I guess. Just not sure what I should do in this case. Seems to me it's a definite factory flaw and something that should be covered under warranty but you never know. My car is a fairly late VIN too almost 32000.
I've had the car for a few weeks now.
Cruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:55 PM   #17
Mike Mercury
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
The paint was pushed up by excessive pressure from the front nose clip. I have no idea why it looks like the paint was not bonded to the panel underneath.
my first thoughts as well - from the pics. Maybe the car transport messed it up?
Mike Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #18
mjw930
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mercury View Post
my first thoughts as well - from the pics. Maybe the car transport messed it up?
Like I said, IMHO this did not leave the plant or the dealer looking like this, it's far to obvious and I know even though I was on the road 1000 miles from the Museum to home I looked over the entire car almost every time I came near it the first few days. It would have been obvious at delivery or any time I stopped on the way home, that's a major junction point that the eye is always drawn to.

Or maybe I'm just abnormally observant........
mjw930 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:07 PM   #19
fizzman
CF Senior Member

Please let the thread know if the dealer took care of this for you.
fizzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:12 PM   #20
trivette
CF Senior Member

I had my TR C7 on a road trip to Road America for the Tudor race a few weeks ago and when I cleaned it up the next day found a similar issue in the same location. This was not a previously existing condition on my car as I've had it since October 4, 2013 (#307). Mine is more like a rub mark that took a small amount of paint off the fender. I brush touched the area and polished it out the next day so it's virtually not noticeable any longer but I will definitely watch for it to happen again.
trivette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:12 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Reload this Page Dreaded Paint Flaw.