C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question of the Week: How Fast Have You Been Caught Driving?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 08:24 PM
Detroit Steel
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Question of the Week: How Fast Have You Been Caught Driving?

For this week’s Corvette question, we’d like to know what’s the fastest you've been caught doing in your car?

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:31 PM
Gr8ful
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

135 in an 80 zone = $500

Nevada desert 0600, no traffic and opposite traffic a half mile to my left. I could see 5 miles ahead. The trooper came from nowhere. Walked up to the car and says " you know you are going to jail". Took my paperwork, saw my military ID and went back to the cruiser. He returned and gave me what he referred to as a "fat ticket.
I felt lucky that day.

Last edited by Gr8ful; 08-27-2014 at 02:40 PM. Reason: claification
Old 08-26-2014, 08:36 PM
175rgr
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

147 in a 55 = $1000

and for the record, there was zero traffic, empty road, plenty of room, perfect weather and nobody to endanger except myself, oh and that sneaky cop on the other side of the overpass.

Just thought I put that disclaimer up before all the !!You sped on a street with a speed limit!!!!its got a speed limit for a reason!!!! people come in here. Cop turned out to be a cool guy and understood I was having fun on an empty road.

Last edited by 175rgr; 08-26-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:36 PM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Detroit Steel

For this week’s Corvette question, we’d like to know what’s the fastest you've been caught doing in your car?

I have been driving Corvettes since 1999 and never even been pulled over in one. I think it has something to do with being old and paying attention.

My last citation was about 10 years ago in a rental Pontiac Gran Prix. Condition was CHP speed trap on I40, I was the only car moving on the road and never had a chance against the instant-on radar. My speed was something less than 100 MPH and I think the ticket was for 15 over the limit.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:41 PM
175rgr
Instructor

I never got payed attention to in my silver C5 z at all. Most people wouldnt even look twice at that car. My old yellow c5 z cop magnet, and the new red c6 z super cop magnet. Just goes to show how much color plays a part. Guys at work were talking and joking that my red c6z looks like its doing 100 mph sitting still in the parking lot.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:52 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

175rgr,

147 in a 55 = $1000

and for the record, there was zero traffic, empty road, plenty of room, perfect weather and nobody to endanger except myself, oh and that sneaky cop on the other side of the overpass.

Just thought I put that disclaimer up before all the !!You sped on a street with a speed limit!!!!its got a speed limit for a reason!!!! people come in here. Cop turned out to be a cool guy and understood I was having fun on an empty road.
We'd like to hear this whole story. Tell us, what did the cop say? You didn't go to jail?

BTW, this is what happens if they catch ya in Virginia:

http://jalopnik.com/never-speed-in-v...-in-1613604053
Old 08-26-2014, 09:12 PM
175rgr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Foxer55
175rgr,

We'd like to hear this whole story. Tell us, what did the cop say? You didn't go to jail?

BTW, this is what happens if they catch ya in Virginia:

http://jalopnik.com/never-speed-in-v...-in-1613604053

I understand that speed limits are in place for a reason, and get equally pissed when I see people racing in our around traffic and simply driving like a you know what. But that article about the Virginia speeding above is a little insane. If he was doing that on a busy highway or with other traffic around I would understand more, but on a back road? Come on. Hell, in most states you can get punch your spouse and you spend 24 hours in jail out the next day. Spending a weekend in jail for having fun in a car on a back-road seems ridiculous. Note to self, never speed in Virginia....ever

My requested story below.................................

Well, I went out to do a pull in my old yellow c5z 540ish rwhp vortech v3 at the time. I rolled out on the road and did about a 20-150 or so pull and I didn't pay attention to my radar detector at all because my passport at the time was getting feedback from what I believe was the plug wires and going off randomly on WOT pulls. It did it a few times on the dyno also so I didn't really pay much attention.

I slowed down after the pull and took the exit ramp to a parkway road which is about 5 or 6 miles long and set the cruise at the speed limit and continued about my business, still unaware that an actual cop had hit me with radar. The road makes a big sweeping right hand 90 degree turn and heads down a sizable hill and bridge, me still driving with the cruise set minding my own business was headed down the hill about 3 miles away from where the event took place, when I looked in my review mirror and seen what appeared to be a black charger state patrol car moving really quick down that hill, he was about 3/4 of a mile back still and I knew he was coming for me so I immediately pulled over before he was even close.

He came up to the window and I informed him I would have to get the insurance paper out of a folder that I had in the back but I had the registration right here, he proceeded to inform me I wasn't going to need it I was going to jail and he was towing my car. You could tell he was pretty heated by the time he caught up to me.

He took me to the back of the car and had me put my hands on the trunk lid while he pulled my wallet out and checked my pockets, he rifled through my wallet grabbing my drivers license out and he also grabbed my military ID, all the while I was asking him if I could use my phone because I had to inform my boss immediately what was happening. He told me just to standby and asked me if anyone I knew could come get the car and drive it so it wouldn't have to be towed. I told him nobody at the moment is around to come get it etc. He told me to stand at the back of the car while he ran my license and checked the registration. Again I was trying to ask him if I could make the call before he took me in and he just said standby.

He came out of his car and walked up, obviously he had cooled down a lot from when he first stopped me. He said look, I'm going to do you a favor and not take you to jail, but, I'm writing the ticket for the entire 147 in a 55 but it is just a speeding ticket with nothing else on it, no reckless driving no nothing. He said you can try and call in 10 days and see if they will allow you to pay this over the phone, but I highly doubt they are going to let you pay or take care of this without seeing you in court. He wrote up the ticket and after handing it to me told me his version of what happen:

He said, let me tell you what happen from my end. He goes, I was sitting there without my radar on just kind of watching, I seen you come around that slight bend and watched the nose of your car lift up into the air, from the time it took me to reach down flip the radar on and get a reading you were already slowing down and I clocked you at 147. He said I have never seen a car accelerate that fast in that short amount of time etc and then proceeded to ask me about the car and told me he had a Camaro that was heads/cam and all that good stuff and let me go with just the speeding ticket.

Needless to say, I had to appear in court. So me thinking this was going to be a pretty big deal I brought a lawyer. We got into the court room and the lawyer went up to the DA and asked if we could work something out and she said sir, in good conscious I cannot reduce this ticket at all, its the highest speeding ticket I think has ever been issued in this county and I didn't really know what to do with it so I attached the largest find I could attach to it and he has to take a defensive driving course.

So, $1000 dollar fine and a defensive driving course later, I've been without a speeding ticket for almost 5 years.

I still don't really know exactly where he was cause I never actually seen him, I can only assume he was on the other side of the overpass way out in front of me because he said he seen the front of my car. The exit for the parkway exits before the overpass so that would explain why it took so long for him to catch up.

Last edited by 175rgr; 08-26-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:20 PM
C2C3C4C6
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

47 in a 30.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:33 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 175rgr
147 in a 55 = $1000

I hear you. Same exact scenario except the cop was hiding behind the trees and got stopped for 81 in a 55. I was able to get my ticket thrown away though.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:35 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Just problems with those stupid 25 mph speed zones. When I got my C6, Victory Red, took the car right from the dealer's lot through a speed trap, darn. Was clocked at forty three, $150 fine.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:38 PM
175rgr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar
I hear you. Same exact scenario except the cop was hiding behind the trees and got stopped for 81 in a 55. I was able to get my ticket thrown away though.
I was happy enough not to go to jail, and for the cop being a decent understanding guy while still doing his job, I wasn't going to fight it whatsoever and drag the cop into the scenario again especially when I was 100% guilty in the first place. But, if the DA tried to impose crazy jail time tacked onto it and more stuff, I would of had no choice to but to fight it.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:44 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Caught? Haven't been in either my C6 or C7. How fast have I been clocked? A bit over 165 in my C6 - legally.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:52 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I was happy enough not to go to jail, and for the cop being a decent understanding guy while still doing his job, I wasn't going to fight it whatsoever and drag the cop into the scenario again especially when I was 100% guilty in the first place. But, if the DA tried to impose crazy jail time tacked onto it and more stuff, I would of had no choice to but to fight it.
I think we need a change on speed limits for the highway in the US. Take a look at this link > http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...ccidents_.html
Old 08-26-2014, 09:53 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

175rgr,

Thanks! Great story.

Yeah, stay out of Virginia.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:56 PM
175rgr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar
I think we need a change on speed limits for the highway in the US. Take a look at this link > http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...ccidents_.html
In most situations I 100% agree. 9 times out of 10 around here I go with the "flow of traffic" which is consistently (everyday I drive it) an average of 15 - 20 mph over the posted speed limit. The speed limit on I26 North around Columbia is 60 in most places and 55 in some, every morning the flow of traffic is at about 80+ mph in the passing lane, 75 - 80 in the middle lane and 65-75+ in the "slow" lane pending semis and merging traffic.

Honestly I could care less most of the time about the speed limit, but what really, and I mean really pisses me off, is people driving in the passing lane. Cruise control set below the posted speed limit in the passing lane with 10 cars behind them for no reason. Or two people driving side by side at the same speed. Every morning I see it 2 or 3 times and I get furious. It makes me mad even if I'm not the one trying to pass people, just seeing it will drive me nuts, and I think its mainly a southern thing.

QUIT DRIVING IN THE PASSING LANE!

Last edited by 175rgr; 08-26-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:57 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Detroit Steel

This 'question' is dangerously inappropriate and hypocritical to many of the Forum's own rules. Whats next weeks question gonna be . . 'Though we don't condone drinking and driving, what's the highest blood alcohol, content you ever been caught with leaving a Corvette gathering'? Then stick around for week 3 when we ask 'though we certainly don't want to see anyone get in accident, what's the worst injury you or other vehicle occupants suffered when the temptation to use of of your Corvette's power was too much, and you lost it showing off'?

What value to Forum Members can you possibly expect to gain from initiating this question? I am appalled at this 16 year old braggadocio mentality.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:00 PM
Stingray Al
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

I got pulled over doing 91mph in a 65 zone. Passed an unmarked Ny State Trooper in the right hand lane. Got yelled at, big time. However, he let me go!!!!!!! no ticket

Get notified of new replies

To Question of the Week: How Fast Have You Been Caught Driving?

Old 08-26-2014, 10:03 PM
175rgr
Instructor

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
This 'question' is dangerously inappropriate and hypocritical to many of the Forum's own rules. Whats next weeks question gonna be . . 'Though we don't condone drinking and driving, what's the highest blood alcohol, content you ever been caught with leaving a Corvette gathering'? Then stick around for week 3 when we ask 'though we certainly don't want to see anyone get in accident, what's the worst injury you or other vehicle occupants suffered when the temptation to use of of your Corvette's power was too much, and you lost it showing off'?

What value to Forum Members can you possibly expect to gain from initiating this question? I am appalled at this 16 year old braggadocio mentality.
While I agree with you that it is an inappropriate question regarding normal forum behavior as well as the rules, I disagree that it is about bragging, just for simple discussion. In regards to what I gained from it, I learned to not speed in Virginia.......ever......

And we started a discussion about speed limits.

I think the people that make this forum up are mature enough they can have a discussion about their past speeding tickets without turning it into a bragging contest.

Last edited by 175rgr; 08-26-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:15 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

147 in a 55 = $1000

Cop turned out to be a cool guy and understood I was having fun on an empty road.
What's so cool, he gave you the ticket!
Old 08-26-2014, 10:18 PM
175rgr
Instructor

Originally Posted by red2012
What's so cool, he gave you the ticket!
Not taking me to jail for one. Not tacking anything else on to the ticket for two. I have to give the guy credit for finding that fine line between doing your job and giving a break. He was a nice guy just doing his job. I cant fault him for that. in today's day and age I find him a cool guy for pulling someone over doing 92 mph over the speed limit, understanding what the individual was doing and that no one was in danger but the individual pulled over and not taking said individual to jail.

Now as far as the ticket, I'm good with it, I deserved it.

If I were in his shoes I would have done the same thing.

Last edited by 175rgr; 08-26-2014 at 10:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Question of the Week: How Fast Have You Been Caught Driving?