Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Rev Match become a bad habit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 07:34 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Does Rev Match become a bad habit?

How many of you use rev match in your Vette and when you get into other manual cars without rev match do you accidentally shift without pressing down the clutch pedal? I'm afraid this might happen since my daily driver is a manual.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:49 PM
johnnypro
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you have a Vette? Why would it get you into the habit of shifting without using the clutch pedal? You still have to clutch in to shift with rev match.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:59 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Originally Posted by johnnypro
Do you have a Vette? Why would it get you into the habit of shifting without using the clutch pedal? You still have to clutch in to shift with rev match.
I don't have my next vette yet. So you still have to press the clutch in with rev match? I thought it would just be shift into gear after you get rolling in first. I guess I better study up. None of the dealerships around here had a manual I could test drive...
Old 08-27-2014, 08:08 PM
johnnypro
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Absolutely...all it does is rev match it doesn't change the fundamentals of how manual cars work. If your daily driver is a manual anyway you should be more than familiar with rev matching.

In your case, you could probably just leave it off since it's probably natural to you anyway. It actually defaults to off when you start the car, so you can just leave it that way and ignore it if you're concerned about picking up bad habits.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:25 PM
kirbsc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pocket Aces
How many of you use rev match in your Vette and when you get into other manual cars without rev match do you accidentally shift without pressing down the clutch pedal? I'm afraid this might happen since my daily driver is a manual.
I use Rev Match all the time - the engine blips the throttle for the driver during both downshifts and upshifts to allow for better and smoother shifting, and improved handling. Race car drivers use this technique when shifting. It also makes for great exhaust sounds!!
Old 08-27-2014, 08:51 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

I don't have my next vette yet. So you still have to press the clutch in with rev match? I thought it would just be shift into gear after you get rolling in first. I guess I better study up. None of the dealerships around here had a manual I could test drive...
Seriously? Do you understand what a clutch does or how the drivetrain works? I guess it isn't "mandatory" but it's surprising to me that an owner of a sports car would really not know this.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:10 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Originally Posted by mksz51
Seriously? Do you understand what a clutch does or how the drivetrain works? I guess it isn't "mandatory" but it's surprising to me that an owner of a sports car would really not know this.
LOL dude. Yes I do. I know that if you actually know how to rev match manually with the throttle you can actually shift into gear without even pressing the clutch when you match the RPMs of the transmission with the engine...which is what I assumed rev match did and that auto rev match could do it without the driver pressing the clutch. Do you know how a manual drive train works. LOL...

Last edited by Pocket Aces; 08-27-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:35 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I have been driving manuals for a long time and am completely used to rev matching manually, so I hardly ever feel a need to use it for normal driving. When I do use it, I am just playing around for amusement. I like to open the pipes and hear it bark.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:50 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

You've got me dazed and confused from your question.
As far as rev match goes, I used it once. Preferred to go without it. Heel Toe feels better to me, if I want to match revs to my down shifts.
Carry on..............
Old 08-27-2014, 09:59 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Is it just me or do several people on this thread don't realize you can manually rev match and that if done properly car computers could do the same thing which means the clutch pedal wouldn't even need to be touched?
Old 08-27-2014, 10:44 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

I just got back from Spring Mountain last night. They took a lot of time teaching proper Heel-Toe technique. I went the entire time without Rev Match during practice. When we got on the track, I turned it on because I was concentrating more on the track and looking/thinking a step ahead.

Doing Rev Match is like playing hockey....if you have to think about your feet while playing hockey, you're not skilled enough yet-your skating isn't up to par yet. Rev Match takes a lot of practice....it has to be 2nd nature. What helped me is foot position on the brake pedal. I moved my foot up higher and applied more pressure on the brake. That brings both pedals in line more, which makes it easier to blip.

However, using Rev Match is kind of a check and balance. It will tell you if you're doing it right. If you don't blip high enough, Rev Match will bring it up to the proper level for you.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:20 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Yes!

I actually like it better than I thought. And I've driven manuals my entire life.

Sometimes I just want to be lazy.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:53 PM
EasyElliott
Pro

Received 268 Likes on 130 Posts

Is it just me or do several people on this thread don't realize you can manually rev match and that if done properly car computers could do the same thing which means the clutch pedal wouldn't even need to be touched?
I take it you understand that shifting without the clutch puts undue ware on the synchro rings. A clutch replacement is a lot less expensive than a trans rebuild.

I guess your next answer is you never had a trans go bad.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:01 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,618 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by EasyElliott
I take it you understand that shifting without the clutch puts undue ware on the synchro rings. A clutch replacement is a lot less expensive than a trans rebuild.

I guess your next answer is you never had a trans go bad.

The C7 std trans has a number of advanced features to manage the heavy gears required to handle the high torque of the LT1. Paraphrasing a Chevy article: “A combination of double-cone and triple-cone rings, made with carbon and sintered bronze cones provide high capacity and shift performance. Linear bearings lower the friction of the shift rail movements, making the shifter feel naturally lighter and more direct. Advanced and asymmetric clutch teeth are used in second and third speed gears.”
Even with all that, shifting without a clutch would not be a good idea! I recall in “the old days” with 4 speeds we would make “crash boxes” by removing teeth from the blocking rings and pulling reel hard to shift without the clutch disengaged. But that was for drag racing where the trans was rebuilt often!
PS: I use rev matching all the time! It does a better job when downshifting at part throttle that I did with my C6 by rolling my right foot on the accelerator to “blip the throttle.”

Big Gears Have a Lot of Inertia

Last edited by JerryU; 08-28-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:53 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I use the rev match feature as applicable. I hardly ever heal toe shift any more with this feature.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:01 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Sounds like a bad plan! It may be just you! The word manual keeps the computer from shifting!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 08-28-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:28 PM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

While it's true that one can shift without using the clutch, it's hard on the synchros and it can be hard on the transmission. It's the sort of thing you do when you blow your clutch and you're 10 miles from home .. and you never come to a dead stop unless you're on a hill (been there)

But rev matching was never intended for this purpose and could not behave the way you describe... because it can't read your mind. It does not know which gear you're going to until you go there .. so you disengage the clutch, select a gear, and the computer tries to rev match appropriate to that gear before you re-engage the clutch. Without first selecting a gear, the computer can't know how to match revs .. so rev matching really can't work without the clutch ..

Get notified of new replies

To Does Rev Match become a bad habit?

Old 08-28-2014, 12:43 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Does Rev Match become a bad habit?

It was a great habit when I was at Ron Fellows Spring Mountain. I own an A6, but why would anyone not want to move into the 21st Century? The computer does it perfect every time. You can concentrate on your driving, especially on the track.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:57 PM
LDYSTIG
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 83 Posts

I have not perfected heel toe shifting so I thoroughly enjoy the rev match. I wouldn't say it's so much a bad habit, just a new innovation with modern day sports cars.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:03 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

the 'bad' part of rev matching is if you are in slow-ish traffic and have it turned on.

When it revs up and you re-engage the clutch, if you are rolling too slow, the rev boost may cause the car to leap forward a bit faster than you want to go...

Quick Reply: Does Rev Match become a bad habit?